Author Topic: Talking to David Lee's Agent  (Read 20918 times)

Re: Talking to David Lee's Agent
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2010, 03:56:47 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Perkins and Baby do the things our teams needs a lot better than David Lee.

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2010, 04:05:26 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

You sir need to accompany Danny Ainge when he talks to the Knicks about David Lee.  Hopefully you can convince the Knicks of this.

I for one completely disagree, although I will say that Perkins defense (when he's healthy) is superior to Lee's.  Still, Lee would be much more valuable to have on the court for a myriad of reasons.  Davis is not even in the same realm of value as David Lee.

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2010, 04:08:37 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72

You sir need to accompany Danny Ainge when he talks to the Knicks about David Lee.  Hopefully you can convince the Knicks of this.

I for one completely disagree, although I will say that Perkins defense (when he's healthy) is superior to Lee's.  Still, Lee would be much more valuable to have on the court for a myriad of reasons.  Davis is not even in the same realm of value as David Lee.
Lee is basically a tall not injured version of Powe. His efficiency is off the charts. He'd be a great guy to have as one of the top 3 bigs on the team. He scores a lot without plays called for him and he has a mid range game. I haven't seen enough to know how bad his D is, but I'd take that risk.

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2010, 04:33:07 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!

:o

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I'm not sure when can really say that without seeing how Doc would fit Lee into our system.

Lee would not get stuffed repeated like Baby.

The big question is how long it would take for Lee to figure out our defense. It took Powe a long time.

« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2010, 04:47:30 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker

I'm not sure when can really say that without seeing how Doc would fit Lee into our system.

Lee would not get stuffed repeated like Baby.

The big question is how long it would take for Lee to figure out our defense. It took Powe a long time.

I think our defense can suffer a little bit but if we're serious about contending, we need to be able to put the ball in the hoop a little better, and Lee definitely can help with that. As others have pointed out, he's like a super-version of what we've lacked since Powe left: a guy who's not pretty but knows how to get the ball to go in the basket. And as for defense, I'm fully okay sacrificing one spot when that player is going to gather in 9 defensive rebounds per game all by himself. Yeah our defense was good, but how many times did other teams get second and third chances last year because KG can't jump and Perk can't move? Way too many.

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Perkins low post defense is arguably the best in the nba.  Perk is also a very good shot blocker, besides those 2 things neither player holds a candle to Lee.  Davis hustles his big butt off but Lee is superior in every aspect of the game.  I'm sure he can handle our defensive sets. 

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Perkins low post defense is arguably the best in the nba.  Perk is also a very good shot blocker, besides those 2 things neither player holds a candle to Lee.  Davis hustles his big butt off but Lee is superior in every aspect of the game.  I'm sure he can handle our defensive sets. 

Dwight Howard averaged 12 a game on 47% shooting vs the Celts during the regular season, and 23 a game on 83% shooting vs the Knicks. In a related note, Orlando hits about 5 more threes a game vs the Knicks (at a higher fg%), no doubt in part due to the fact that Lee can't handle Howard on his own. I don't think that "besides those 2 things neither player holds a candle to Lee" is as accurate as "without those 2 things we can't get past the Magic". Don't underestimate the power of great defense in the playoffs.

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2010, 05:06:44 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

Dwight Howard averaged 12 a game on 47% shooting vs the Celts during the regular season, and 23 a game on 83% shooting vs the Knicks. In a related note, Orlando hits about 5 more threes a game vs the Knicks (at a higher fg%), no doubt in part due to the fact that Lee can't handle Howard on his own. I don't think that "besides those 2 things neither player holds a candle to Lee" is as accurate as "without those 2 things we can't get past the Magic". Don't underestimate the power of great defense in the playoffs.
Agreed. TP.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2010, 05:12:55 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Good points, but how good would Baby be defending Howard if Baby was playing in the Knicks team defense?

« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2010, 05:19:27 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

Great defense his...well...great?  But keep in mind that as soon as SVG realized that DH is 10X more mobile than Perk and get Howard moving in S/R's with Nelson, Perk was not nearly as effective.

There is more than one way to defend.

There is more than one way to win.

Bring the best together.

Learn the roles.

Play together.

Win.

« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2010, 05:24:43 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Lee is basically a tall not injured version of Powe. His efficiency is off the charts. He'd be a great guy to have as one of the top 3 bigs on the team. He scores a lot without plays called for him and he has a mid range game. I haven't seen enough to know how bad his D is, but I'd take that risk.

Brendan, perhaps you misread my post.  I absolutely would take the risk of taking on Lee, and more or less feel the complete opposite of LB3533's post.  As much as I love Powe, I think it's fair to say that Lee is better than a taller version of Powe, most especially on the fast break and offensive end.

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2010, 11:35:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have been thinking about this all day, and heres is the deal I can come up with that makes sense for both teams:

Boston trades: Ray Allen (resigned for a contract starting at $11 million), Sheed (who would be bought out by the Knicks for $3 million)

NY trades: David Lee (resigned for a contract starting at $10 million), Eddie Curry

If NY signs Amare to the max, this still leaves them with about $18 million in cap room. 

Boston gets a young, talented big man to solidify their front line, and although Curry's contract is tough to swallow, it is expiring, so could be used as an asset to get them a starting SG.

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2010, 12:27:58 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I have been thinking about this all day, and heres is the deal I can come up with that makes sense for both teams:

Boston trades: Ray Allen (resigned for a contract starting at $11 million), Sheed (who would be bought out by the Knicks for $3 million)

NY trades: David Lee (resigned for a contract starting at $10 million), Eddie Curry

If NY signs Amare to the max, this still leaves them with about $18 million in cap room. 

Boston gets a young, talented big man to solidify their front line, and although Curry's contract is tough to swallow, it is expiring, so could be used as an asset to get them a starting SG.

Not bad assuming LBJ is heading to NYC. Otherwise, why does Ray agree? He knows he can get a similar deal with Boston, which is his preferred destination (although NYC appears to be second).

It makes shooting a huge priority as you note. To that end, I think we should (in both this hypothetical example and for other more likely scenarios) put our 2011 #1 into play as required. It's going to be the worst draft in years outside the top few picks.

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2010, 01:12:15 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

We'd probably have to take back Eddy Curry to help free up some cap space for the Knicks.  We'd probably also have to S+T them Ray.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers