Author Topic: KG not at practice again today... (Wife has baby? Merged)  (Read 26008 times)

KG not at practice again today... (Wife has baby? Merged)
« on: April 18, 2008, 12:10:44 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Do you see any affect on his performance in the playoffs?  I'm not a father, so I can't be certain, but I have to imagine the birth or your first child is a monumental occasion in life and one that can leave you in a different state for weeks.  I know as well as anyone about KG's level of focus, and expect it to be off the charts for his first time back in the playoffs in 3 years.  But if the stories about never sleeping?  Always worrying about your child?  All of a sudden realizing peripheral things (like basketball) aren't as important?  Anyone think this could put a chink in KG's performance?

(Here's to hoping the kid is getting the finest newborn care.... in a hospital... until about mid-June...)

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: IF It's True That KG is a New Dad...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I can only speak from personal experience, but the only time the sleep deprivation really bothered me was when I was trying to sleep.  There can certainly be a cumulative effect, but when it's time to start the day and do your stuff you just keep doing it - regardless of how tired you are.

I hadn't heard anything about KG being a new Dad, but if so, he's certainly not the first new father to have to cope with new stresses.  He'll be fine.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 01:05:04 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If KG really is a new dad I bet he named the kid

"NBA Championship UBUNTU NoEasyLayUps Garnett"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 01:14:18 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
I can only speak from personal experience, but the only time the sleep deprivation really bothered me was when I was trying to sleep.  There can certainly be a cumulative effect, but when it's time to start the day and do your stuff you just keep doing it - regardless of how tired you are.

I hadn't heard anything about KG being a new Dad, but if so, he's certainly not the first new father to have to cope with new stresses.  He'll be fine.

It was in the articles about him missing yesterday's practice.  It was rumored that his wife went into labor.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 01:18:17 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.
If KG really is a new dad I bet he named the kid

"NBA Championship UBUNTU NoEasyLayUps Garnett"

Hahaha.... I'm going with Malik for a boy and Ashely for a girl.

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 01:37:04 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Both my wives, (ugh, that sounds horrible!), slept like logs, so I was always the one with the middle-of-the-night duties. All my kids were bottle-fed, so it was no issue. I'd get up, warm a bottle, (or change a diaper), do what was needed and go back to bed. Gotta say, it was a blessing to me ... I bonded with my kids early on because of it. Just rocking them, singing softly, and staring into their eyes until they drifted off. It was a priceless duty for me, but one I relished, and one that benefitted me as much as anyone, and I thank God for those quiet times with my little ones, and wouldn't have had it any other way ... despite the loss of sleep.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 01:38:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I thought Mike Gorman said Pierce had a new child?

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 01:40:57 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
IF the rumors are true (I have no idea), there are a couple of reasons not to worry about it. First, we would win the Atlanta series even without Garnett, let alone winning with an unfocused Garnett. In other words, if there are any big life adjustments to having a new kid, he'll be able to deal with them early in the playoffs and get them out of the way.

Second, and much more significant in my opinion, is that Garnett is freaking rich. When my wife and I had our first little girl last year, we had help from family for a few days, but after that we were on our own (like most people). However, Garnett can easily afford to have a 24-hour baby nanny/nurse staff to reduce the burden. Having somebody to take care of the baby at night while you sleep would make a HUGE difference in the beginning - at least for the dad (mom might have to get up anyway to feed the baby if she's breastfeeding). Either way, if you have full-time help, both mom and dad can get the rest they need, greatly reducing the stress of being a new parent.

It's not THAT hard to do it on your own. Doing it with full-time help - it'll be a cakewalk.

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 02:02:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Big Ticket, I thank you for reading this blog on this day, the day of your child's birth. And I hope your first child be a masculine child. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty to Celtics Nation.

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Big Ticket, I thank you for reading this blog on this day, the day of your child's birth. And I hope your first child be a masculine child. I pledge my ever-ending loyalty to Celtics Nation.

"masculine child"? I don't really know what that has to do with the love and devotion you have for your own child...I also believe you meant "never-ending loyalty"...

It seems like every other player has been a father this year on the Celtics and they have only done even better (see Leon Powe). Hopefully the same goes for KG- if it's true.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 02:20:27 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

"masculine child"? I don't really know what that has to do with the love and devotion you have for your own child...I also believe you meant "never-ending loyalty"...

It seems like every other player has been a father this year on the Celtics and they have only done even better (see Leon Powe). Hopefully the same goes for KG- if it's true.

Its a quote from the godfather. Luca Brasi says it in the first 15 minutes

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 02:28:45 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • The good ole days.

Totally, unbelievable, shameful, no excuses confession time........ I've never seen The Godfather.

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 02:47:40 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Totally, unbelievable, shameful, no excuses confession time........ I've never seen The Godfather.

I agree with you that is completely unbelievable, shameful and without excuse.

There are a number of movies it is assumed every male aged 20-40 has seen. They include The Godfather, Billy Madison, The Program, Hoosiers, Tommy Boy and Ghostbusters, to name a few. You sir are not only depriving yourself from a fantastic film (best film ever made IMO) but you are failing your civic pop culture duty.

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 02:57:20 PM »

Offline reggie35

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 51

Dude...

As to the original post. Just look at how Leon Powe started playing after LP3 was born. It adds fuel to the fire. Get ready to see KG start flame-throwing his way through the playoffs.

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 03:06:46 PM »

Offline toddhinds

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 2
do you guys realize this is the 7th child born to a Celtic this year?

Pierce, Posey, Powe, Scal, Rondo, Perk, and now KG.,

Also, Pierce's kid was born about 2 weeks before KG.  Anyone remember something significant happening with this team about 9 months ago?  Boy sure seems to me that Pierce and Garnett may have had some private "celebrations" when the news started coming down...