Author Topic: Robert Williams making an impact  (Read 8173 times)

Re: Robert Williams making an impact
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2020, 11:14:25 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
If we face the Sixers in round one, I like our chances better if Timelord matches up against Embiid. Theis is just too small and will be bullied easily. I hope Stevens recognizes this .

Give Timelord all the confidence in these last 2 games. He can get himself into the rotation  in the POs.

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2020, 12:42:10 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I thought he was starting to be really useful until his injury.  Looks like he’s building on that now.

I feel pretty good about him as a backup center if Kanter leaves.

Timelord at this rate should start. Or by next season

There is nothing Theis can do better except shoot the 3 and a few years of experience

i agree .   Timey has the skills ,  he just needs the court minutes ,  playing quality minutes to hone his game , gain confidense , and learn to manage his fouls better .   The court time and touchs is mostly what he needs.

I wouldn’t start him any time soon.  For perspective, Theis is averaging 9 / 7.  Williams has one game of at least 9 / 7 in his career.

On a minutes basis, Williams is probably averaging a lot more than Theis in bubble.  Even on per game basis last three games (the only 3 he played meaningful minutes) RW has probably averaged more per game than Theis, even with significantly fewer minutes. Plus his efficiency is off the charts.  What has he only missed one shot the last 3 games and perfect from the foul line?

While Theis will start the rest of this season and playoffs, I expect we will see Williams' minutes increase as his conditioning improves. Next season is anyone's guess, but I would not bet against Williams becoming a starter then. Brad started him opening night this season v Philly. But he just wasn't ready. Now that he staying away from foul trouble, minutes should increase.

The chemistry is too good with Theis I think.  But, if Kanter opts our, it gives us a guy who can step in and play 24 minutes without a huge downgrade.

I love also the chemistry of our bigs rotation, Theis seems 100% motivated and dedicated to the team. But if Kanter leaves I don't like at all the idea of R Will and Theis having all the bigs minutes. They are to me redundant, even with Theis advantage on knowledge of the game and R Will on athletism and lenght. We need at least a big piece of meat to put in the paint for me as the second option if we think R Will is ready. But I would prefer to keep him as a sub and find a better big in our 5.

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2020, 01:23:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
If we face the Sixers in round one, I like our chances better if Timelord matches up against Embiid. Theis is just too small and will be bullied easily. I hope Stevens recognizes this .

Give Timelord all the confidence in these last 2 games. He can get himself into the rotation  in the POs.

Exactly

Theis is no match for Embiid.  Theis is 6'8 with a 6'11 wingspan. Embiid is 6'11 with 7'5 wingspan

This is one of the key reasons why the Celts haven't fared well against the 76ers all season long.   

This is also the reason why the Celts have problems with Rockets.  Bucks.   No rim protection presence + the other starters have to try harder on defense to makeup for Theis shortcomings (interior presence). Scrambling all over the place, feeding into these teams gameplan

With Timelord,  its the opposite.  He can bail out the others on the D end.   Even slightly out of position, he can explode to the basket , reach/swipe with his long wingspan and deflect/block shots.    This is a great weapon to have

« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 01:36:23 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2020, 02:05:24 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Not only do I think Timelord wouldn't last 10 minutes against Embiid without fouling out, but I also disagree that he'd be a better matchup with him than Theis.  We don't have anyone on the roster that can defend Embiid one-on-one (Kanter can for the occasional post possession, but that's it), so having someone that is more aware and better at switching/playing in a double to force the ball out of his hands is the way to go.  And that is clearly Theis.

Really, the idea that Timelord (who is the same height as Theis and just 12lbs heavier, per the team's official measurements at the beginning of the year. Better wingspan, but that will only get you so far) matches up so much better physically that it makes up for his lack of experience/skill/ability to quarterback a defense is ridiculous.  Worse still is that some people are so wildly optimistic about his play that they'll argue about Theis being more experienced/skilled/better at quarterbacking a defense.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2020, 02:17:31 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Not only do I think Timelord wouldn't last 10 minutes against Embiid without fouling out, but I also disagree that he'd be a better matchup with him than Theis.  We don't have anyone on the roster that can defend Embiid one-on-one (Kanter can for the occasional post possession, but that's it), so having someone that is more aware and better at switching/playing in a double to force the ball out of his hands is the way to go.  And that is clearly Theis.

Really, the idea that Timelord (who is the same height as Theis and just 12lbs heavier, per the team's official measurements at the beginning of the year. Better wingspan, but that will only get you so far) matches up so much better physically that it makes up for his lack of experience/skill/ability to quarterback a defense is ridiculous.  Worse still is that some people are so wildly optimistic about his play that they'll argue about Theis being more experienced/skilled/better at quarterbacking a defense.
I feel like some people have having shiny new toy syndrome. Don't get me wrong, I've been happy for how he's played for us so far, and I'm optimistic for what he'll become, but he's not ready to be this solution to any and all of our problems. I'll be happy if he gives us any quality minutes in the playoffs. I feel that expectations are too high.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2020, 02:58:47 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

disagree

we are not talking about marginally longer. 

Theis has a 6'11 wingspan vs Timelord 7'5.5 wingspan.  You add Timelord max reach measurement (among the elites in the NBA) + explosiveness

it does make a difference

If Timelord was a third stringer and didn't know how to play, it makes little to no difference.  But thats not the case

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2020, 03:07:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Starting Theis the rest of the way unless he really struggles is fine

As long as Timelord gets regular minutes off the bench. And if he excels, play him more mins

Kanter also is useful against teams like Nuggets,  Blazers who have physical big bodied centers trying to cause trouble

but overall I like how CBS (these past 3 games) is not giving out minutes to Theis and Kanter just for the sake of it/veteran privilege 

And he recognizes that Timelord easy lob target/dunks/rim protection helps this team. Throws off opposing team gameplans

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2020, 03:44:46 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

disagree

Theis has a 6'11 wingspan vs Timelord 7'5.5 wingspan.  You add Timelord max reach measurement (among the elites in the NBA) + explosiveness

If Timelord was a third stringer and didn't know how to play, it makes little to no difference.  But thats not the case

Not to quibble, but where did you read that Theis had 6'11" wingspan? Dude looks longer than that, but have never seen any published wingspan for him.

They are similar players. Theis more experienced, better BBIQ (due to experience mostly).  Williams clearly longer, quicker, more athletic, younger, etc.

I think a rotation of both in which minutes are pretty evenly divided would be pretty awesome for us.

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2020, 03:47:23 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

disagree

Not to quibble, but where did you read that Theis had 6'11" wingspan? Dude looks longer than that, but have never seen any published wingspan for him.

They are similar players. Theis more experienced, better BBIQ (due to experience mostly).  Williams clearly longer, quicker, more athletic, younger, etc.

I think a rotation of both in which minutes are pretty evenly divided would be pretty awesome for us.

I almost posted the same thing, (weirdly almost word for word). Theis' wingspan is the subject of some deep celtic fan debate. There's not record anywhere, but there are crazy rumors about it around his original draft class. I think Williams is a little longer, but Theis' wingspan is his best attribute physically.

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2020, 05:54:35 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
Look if Timelord can continue to work on the mental aspects of the game, his potential to be our modern center is enormous. He plays alot bigger than his size, is SUPER mobile, has arms for days, and is exceedingly fast off the ground. He flashes passing every now and again, but thats only gravy.

He needs to work on his positioning and finer points of the game, but so many tools are there. And he is generally productive when given a chance.
#JKJB

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2020, 05:57:24 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Delete

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2020, 07:01:59 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Timelord needs to watch tons of Dennis Rodman games and model his game like that and we are set.

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2020, 07:42:53 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I really like what I'm seeing from Timelord:

- excellent roller in the pick n roll (1.3 PPP)
- willing passer
- above average court vision at the C position
- aggressive on the boards
- protects the rim
- provides elite vertical spacing
- he ain't afraid to shoot the mid-range 2 (hopefully, he'll extend his range to the 3-point line)

If he stays healthy, I believe he has the potential to become our starting C for years to come.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 10:04:10 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2020, 08:14:06 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
He has played very well 4 straight games now.

He seemed to get winded though. Hoping he gets lots of minutes Thursday to improve his conditioning. Will probably be starting that game, knowing Brad.

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2020, 11:08:08 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
another very good game for Timelord.  hoping this really is the turning point for him to become a real contributor to the team in meaningful minutes.