Author Topic: Keep an eye on Utah  (Read 5585 times)

Keep an eye on Utah
« on: November 10, 2012, 04:14:53 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Their two best bigs might be sitting on their bench

21 year old PF Derrick Favors (6-10, 250) ... 8 points, 8 rebounds, 2.2 blocks and a steal in only 22 minutes.

20 year old C Enes Kanter (6-11, 270)... 60% shooting, 5 points, 4 boards, 1 block in 15 minutes... was their best player in the preseason.

If they aren't their best right now... they are certainly that team's future.

Meanwhile both Millisap (8.6 mil) and Al Jefferson (15 mil) expire at the end of this year.  Either one of those guys would be a huge help for us.  That team is 2-4 right now. 

FWIW, I checked a Utah forum a couple weeks back and one of their own fans suggested trading Al Jefferson to Boston for Brandon Bass and Courtney Lee.  Keep an eye on Utah... I think it is very likely this could be a team we'll be trying to trade with once our players can be moved. 

Re: Keep an eye on Utah
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 04:27:25 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
absolutly, they have enough size to trade for me.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2012, 04:34:36 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Millisap is actually a bit undersized (he's only 6-8), but I'd be on board with bringing Big Al back.  He makes 15 mil this year (Bass + Lee would work when their contracts become tradeable) ... But I think we could probably re-sign him in the offseason for a more reasonable deal.

Al took his team to the playoffs last year and averaged 20, 10 and 2... I don't think Bass + LEe would be enough.  We'd probably have to throw in some 1sts... maybe Bradley...  But I'd be alright with that.  Al's got game and would look nice next to KG.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 04:43:28 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Bass and Lee only total approx $11m, which is $4m less.  We'd need to add another $3m to stay under the tax cap.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2012, 05:02:44 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I think I would rather have Milsap.

Utah won't want Bass or Lee though. More then likely they want the financial flexibility with all their quality players on rookie contracts rather then committing 11 million to a couple role players. Their bird rights are likely more valuable.

People think we have trade chips. We really don't. All of our guys are on long term deals and teams typically don't like to sign role players on long term deals.

If AB comes back and plays like last year then he is a trade chip. If Sully and or Fab Melo plays well consistently then they are trade chips.

Lee with 20 mill owed to him is not. Bass with 20 mill owed to him is not. Green with 36 mill owed to him is not. I would argue that Terry at 35 and owed 15 mill over three years isn't either unless a contender is acquiring him and Utah is not that. Utah isn't going to trade borderline All-Star Big Men on expiring deals for our guys unless they are named Rajon Rondo.

We have to be realistic here people.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:08:11 PM by Kane3387 »

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2012, 06:54:21 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Utah should be asking for an expiring contract, a young player, and decent draft pick.  I think a realistic deal for either Milsap or Jefferson involves a third team effectively giving the Celtics that expiring contract in exchange for players such as Bass or Green or Lee, plus compensation for taking on those contracts.

So, if you wanted Al Jefferson, it might be Bass/Lee and a first for an expiring contract that gets sent to Utah with another first and one of Bradley/Sullinger/Melo.

That seems like way too much to give up for what might turn out to be a rental.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 08:59:57 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think it will take a third team that wants Green. 

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I actually think Utah was one of the prime locations for Green until they traded for Marvin Williams.  They have been desperate for wings the last few years, and given their inability to draw free agents, they might be more inclined to take on a contract of a guy like Green, and hope it pays off in the longrun.

But, like I said, Marvin Williams gives them a similar player.  I think Green is better, and they may think so too, but I think he is not nearly as valuable to them as he was before getting Williams.

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I actually think Utah was one of the prime locations for Green until they traded for Marvin Williams.  They have been desperate for wings the last few years, and given their inability to draw free agents, they might be more inclined to take on a contract of a guy like Green, and hope it pays off in the longrun.

But, like I said, Marvin Williams gives them a similar player.  I think Green is better, and they may think so too, but I think he is not nearly as valuable to them as he was before getting Williams.

Completely agree.

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 10:59:41 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Al Jefferson would be a terrible fit for the Celtics.  He's most effective when he is spoon fed the ball on the low block so he can go to work.  In my opinion, he's not the kind of big that we should pair with Rondo for the future.  We need a big who's more of an athlete, floor runner, and pick and roll player. 

Derrick Favors?  Yeah, absolutely.  I don't see Utah giving him up, though.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I think I would rather have Milsap.

Utah won't want Bass or Lee though. More then likely they want the financial flexibility with all their quality players on rookie contracts rather then committing 11 million to a couple role players. Their bird rights are likely more valuable.

People think we have trade chips. We really don't. All of our guys are on long term deals and teams typically don't like to sign role players on long term deals.

If AB comes back and plays like last year then he is a trade chip. If Sully and or Fab Melo plays well consistently then they are trade chips.

Lee with 20 mill owed to him is not. Bass with 20 mill owed to him is not. Green with 36 mill owed to him is not. I would argue that Terry at 35 and owed 15 mill over three years isn't either unless a contender is acquiring him and Utah is not that. Utah isn't going to trade borderline All-Star Big Men on expiring deals for our guys unless they are named Rajon Rondo.

We have to be realistic here people.

I think Bass + a higher level asset (like Bradley) would actually be a very appealing offer to the Jazz for Millsap.  $6-$7 mil deals for young, proven rotation players aren't toxic - the Jazz just acquired Marvin Williams for Devin Harris as an example.

And Bass would fit that big rotation nicely; they have size, rebounding and some defensive potential, but they could really use an elite mid-range shooter like Bass to plug in between their paint-oriented bigs in the rotation. 

And they'd love Bradley - a year and a half on the rookie scale then restricted rights to a highly attractive prospect at a position of weakness. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 11:34:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Al Jefferson would be a terrible fit for the Celtics.  He's most effective when he is spoon fed the ball on the low block so he can go to work.  In my opinion, he's not the kind of big that we should pair with Rondo for the future.  We need a big who's more of an athlete, floor runner, and pick and roll player. 

Derrick Favors?  Yeah, absolutely.  I don't see Utah giving him up, though.

Completely agree. I loved Big Al when he was here but a return to Celtics Green wouldn't benefit us in the least. He is a great offensive big man when he is getting 20 shots per game. Hes got zero defense whatsoever. He doesnt really run particularly well and isnt very athletic. I would stay away from Jefferson with everything I got. He is being outplayed in Utah by two under 22 year olds just waiting for their opportunity to start.

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 11:41:56 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would rather have Favors or Kanter.

Though Milsap is a great improvement over Sully or Bass.

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 11:47:30 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I would rather have Favors or Kanter.

Though Milsap is a great improvement over Sully or Bass.

So would I, but I don't think there is any chance they give up Favors or Kanter unless they are getting a real star in return.  They are their future.

I think Millsap is the realistic target.  First of all, he is a better fit, because he is a better defender than Al, and the last thing the C's need is another defensive challenged big man.  But also, his contract fits in with what the C's would be trying to match with. 

I just think to get Al, you would have to give up too many rotation quality players to even match his contract, and Utah might balk at taking on the longterm contracts as well, and require the C's to give up even more talent.

Millsap on the other hand, could possibly be had for a rotation player and a pick or young asset. 

And I do think Millsap would be a big upgrade on this team.  The problem is, with him hitting free agency this summer, would you want to pay him?  And if not, how much value are you going to give up for a rental?

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Yeah, I think this pretty much goes without saying.  Offense aside, his defense would cripple us.  Milsap would be a much bigger addition, especially with his floor spacing. 

Although not even he would be what I'd call a "good" fit.  Able to help yes, but I'd kinda prefer us to stay out of Utah's sight than keep an eye on them.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale