Author Topic: RJ Hamilton, huh?  (Read 4354 times)

Re: RJ Hamilton, huh?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2020, 12:15:18 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Anthony Edwards:
33mpg
19ppg
5.2rpg
2.8apg
1.3spg

.54 point per minute
.15 rebound per minute
.08 assist per minute
.04 steal per minute

RJ Barrett
20.5 mpg
8.8 ppg
3.9 rpg
2.3 apg
1.1 spg

.43 point per minute
.18 rebound per minute
.11 assist per minute
.05 steal per minute

He actually did quite well in New Zealand. And if his shot is improving like Miller and Penny state it is, he will be a legit scoring threat and a very intriguing lead guard.

The Knicks would beg to disagree. ;)

Mike

Between the thread title and this post, are we just pretending that RJ Hunter isn't his real name?  ;)

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2020, 12:17:16 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
But he cannot shoot..oh, right, Perfect Danny guy...ugh....I would really prefer an offensive threat with our first pick...Under 30% from 3 and under 70% for FT and underwhelming 2 pt FG as well...What am I missing besides another player we hope will learn how to shoot the ball better.

Except he has apparently dramatically improved his shooting working with HOFers non stop everyday since shutdown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/2093647/2020/10/01/vecenie-why-im-buying-r-j-hampton-stock-after-changes-to-his-shot-mechanics/%3famp
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2020, 12:21:32 PM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
But he cannot shoot..oh, right, Perfect Danny guy...ugh....I would really prefer an offensive threat with our first pick...Under 30% from 3 and under 70% for FT and underwhelming 2 pt FG as well...What am I missing besides another player we hope will learn how to shoot the ball better.

Except he has apparently dramatically improved his shooting working with HOFers non stop everyday since shutdown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theathletic.com/2093647/2020/10/01/vecenie-why-im-buying-r-j-hampton-stock-after-changes-to-his-shot-mechanics/%3famp

https://twitter.com/i/status/1311069369447964672
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2020, 12:24:01 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
High risk potentially high reward. His quickness and feel with the ball in transition is elite. Changes speed and direction, has great burst. The argument for his ceiling is that he went to a team that had aspirations and a set rotation at PG, which meant he was asked to mostly play out of position, on the wing. Put the ball in his hands and teach how to clean up his shot and his ceiling is all-star. If he can’t learn to shoot or has trouble in pick and roll, well, the ceiling’s a lot lower. He needs to get stronger, but that’s usually something NBA conditioning programs can manage.

All in, If they think Hampton is for real and could be had at 14, steal him and trade 26 and 31 for future picks.  Having an elite, 6’5” point guard with excellent shot creation and ballhandling, who’s willing to defend will pair up perfectly with the Js. Long, rangy, super-versatile backcourt.

If they don’t believe in Hampton, But do believe in Hayes or Okungwu, I’d be on board for a trade-up for one of them.

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2020, 06:46:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
If he can turn into Penny I'm all aboard ;D

Is this the dude that played in Australia with Melo? How did he go?
He was misused a lot in New Zealand. The NBL coaching is often pretty rigid. If you're the stereotypical height of a particular position, you play there. Hampton is a natural ball-handler but was used as a SG too much.

All the physical tools though
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2020, 07:18:13 PM »

Offline BruceBanner18

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73

https://twitter.com/i/status/1311069369447964672

Great article. This jumped out to me when I read it:
The other big thing worth noting: Hampton is already reputed to be a really high-level worker. Those who have been around him have not only raved about his work ethic, but also the way he works.

“He looks good, but it’s all the kid,” Relph said. “He’s really locked in. He’s very mature. He’s extremely mature for his age. He gets his work in, he’s smart with his work. He goes 100 percent every single time. He’s not one of those guys where you have to prod him. You just gotta be there and put him through stuff.”

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2020, 11:35:37 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

hampton is my favorite to pick at #14. i think he has real talent. his only real flaw was his shooting, but he seems to have worked on that and it seems to be fixed. but that is something ainge needs to watch carefully during a work out.

this guy is very good, very athletic. i hope he is a celtic.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2020, 01:50:48 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Everything I've read suggest Hampton is a high ceiling low floor type of prospect.  In other words, high bust potential.  Hopefully we pass on this kid.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Hampton... Not Hamilton.

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2020, 08:06:08 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Everything I've read suggest Hampton is a high ceiling low floor type of prospect.  In other words, high bust potential.  Hopefully we pass on this kid.
High boom potential too. Number 14 is always going to be a bit of a crapshoot, so I don't mind taking riskier prospects for the chance of one hitting spectacularly.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 08:18:38 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
High boom potential too. Number 14 is always going to be a bit of a crapshoot, so I don't mind taking riskier prospects for the chance of one hitting spectacularly.

I don't think that we'll have to worry about taking another Kelly Olynyk again (perfectly fine player, but had a very limited ceiling). There are too many guards at this spot who could blow up that Danny will have a hard time passing on - Hampton being one of them. It sure would be nice to draft another future all-star caliber player to go with Jaylen and Jayson. I guess the book hasn't yet been written on Langford and TL.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 08:19:49 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
At least the Celtics have experience improving guys' shots (Smart, Brown, Langford-TBD). This may make them more willing to take the chance. They do love hard workers.

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 10:04:43 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466

I don't think that we'll have to worry about taking another Kelly Olynyk again (perfectly fine player, but had a very limited ceiling). There are too many guards at this spot who could blow up that Danny will have a hard time passing on - Hampton being one of them. It sure would be nice to draft another future all-star caliber player to go with Jaylen and Jayson. I guess the book hasn't yet been written on Langford and TL.
Obviously it depends on who is still on the board but I’m not buying the hype.  And, I’m certainly not buying the idea and he can all of a sudden shoot without proof in games. 

I’m not normally a draft for need kind of guy but man it would be nice to get a dead eye shooter or back up combo guard with this pick.

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 10:31:56 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZabR0cWIUg

Ja Morant vs Hampton  - exhibition matchup last year.   Hampton doesn't play alot of mins + exhibition, but you can see how poor his closeout defense is.   Morant looks like another level talent in comparison

Hampton had one nice layup finish over two guys. But on another occasion, tried it again and got his shot blocked at the rim

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2020, 10:38:41 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

Obviously it depends on who is still on the board but I’m not buying the hype.  And, I’m certainly not buying the idea and he can all of a sudden shoot without proof in games. 

I’m not normally a draft for need kind of guy but man it would be nice to get a dead eye shooter or back up combo guard with this pick.

Like I said, Hampton is just one of those players. I would be surprised if we stay at 14 and don't select one of Hampton, Terry, or Lewis Jr.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 10:45:24 AM by jambr380 »