Author Topic: KG have a good shot at DPOY?  (Read 4368 times)

Re: KG have a good shot at DPOY?
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2012, 01:19:43 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
KG definitely deserves consideration, especially post All Star break.  I believe he is in the top 5 for Defensive Rebounding since then?  Plus, nobody can shut down pick and rolls the same way KG does.  To be fair, he has had a LOT of help this season from Bradley being a Honey Badger, Rondo being a pick pocket, and Steamer being quite an effective shot blocker.  I don't think anyone else being considered has quite that much defensive help.  Not knocking on KG, but I see the Celtics #1 defense being more of a collective effort now, which is most definitely spearheaded by KG's intensity and communication.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2012, 01:32:30 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I dont think he is going to get enough recognition but he definitely should be in contention. I forget who made the thread a few weeks ago about his defensive numbers but looking at that i was shocked. His defensive rate against the best players in the league is completely absurd.

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2012, 02:14:33 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I honestly don't think Ibaka is anywhere even close to the conversation

No matter what KG has been around and who has been the cast the Celtics D is always ranked at the top. Lose Posey doesn't matter, lose TA doesn't matter, lose Perk doesn't matter, lose JO and Pietrus, doesn't matter.

The guy set the bar high and just stays there. I just think **IF** we continue at this pace, it is pretty historic and would be hard to look away from

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2012, 03:02:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Dwight will probably win it on statistics alone.

But I think basketball purists who look beyond statistics won't be able to deny KG such an honor.

The man ANCHORS our defense, and makes everyone better defensively.

Dwight (or Serge), doesn't do that, yet.

If anything, Serge has gotten better defensively BECAUSE OF Perk...who is a spawn of KG himself.

I'd even argue that Tony Allen's defensive intensity has rubbed off on MEM...and of course TA spent some time next to KG...

Also - interesting to note that he has a 94 defensive rating this year....the last time he had it THAT low?

2007-2008..... :)

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2012, 03:39:55 PM »

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING
Dwight will probably win it on statistics alone.

But I think basketball purists who look beyond statistics won't be able to deny KG such an honor.

The man ANCHORS our defense, and makes everyone better defensively.

Dwight (or Serge), doesn't do that, yet.

If anything, Serge has gotten better defensively BECAUSE OF Perk...who is a spawn of KG himself.

I'd even argue that Tony Allen's defensive intensity has rubbed off on MEM...and of course TA spent some time next to KG...

Also - interesting to note that he has a 94 defensive rating this year....the last time he had it THAT low?

2007-2008..... :)
I'd disagree. Dwight Howard IS the Orlando Magic defense.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2012, 04:03:26 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
Howard is a defensive force, there's no questioning that. Still, I agree that if Orlando falls down to the 6 or 7 seed and Boston ends up with a legit 4 seed (i.e., not just because of winning the Atlantic), there's a case to be made. I think the points about media perception are well taken, though. He's not perceived as the cream of the crop anymore because he's perceived as past his prime. The problem is that even though he is past his prime, he's still better than most in their primes.

To be honest, I think KG will finish well behind Lebron (who might take it this year), Howard, Chandler and Ibaka. Maybe TA and Iguodala too.

I hope, of course, that he makes the All Defensive first team, though I expect the first team to be Howard or Chandler, Ibaka, Lebron, and two of Kobe, Wade, TA and CP. He's most likely second team. Not that he should be, but that's where I think he'll end up.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2012, 04:44:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I'd disagree. Dwight Howard IS the Orlando Magic defense.

That statement fails to appreciate Stan Van Gundy's coaching.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »

Offline jarufu

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 123
DPOC .. Defensive Player of the Century!
This guy hopes you're talking about the 2000's and not the past 100 years.

Good Lord yes, the 21st Century!
Stay classy, San Diego. Hello, Baxter? Baxter, is that you? Bark twice if you're in Milwaukee. Is this Wilt Chamberlain? Have the decency to say something.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2012, 11:27:48 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
Howard is a defensive force, there's no questioning that. Still, I agree that if Orlando falls down to the 6 or 7 seed and Boston ends up with a legit 4 seed (i.e., not just because of winning the Atlantic), there's a case to be made. I think the points about media perception are well taken, though. He's not perceived as the cream of the crop anymore because he's perceived as past his prime. The problem is that even though he is past his prime, he's still better than most in their primes.

To be honest, I think KG will finish well behind Lebron (who might take it this year), Howard, Chandler and Ibaka. Maybe TA and Iguodala too.

I hope, of course, that he makes the All Defensive first team, though I expect the first team to be Howard or Chandler, Ibaka, Lebron, and two of Kobe, Wade, TA and CP. He's most likely second team. Not that he should be, but that's where I think he'll end up.

I hear what you are saying about media perception but just last year he finished in second. If those same voters voted him second last year I have a very hard time believing he wont get a lot of love this time

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2012, 11:29:34 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
So should we just change this thread title from DPOY to MVP?

:P

Maybe wait till tomorrow

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 11:40:00 PM »

Offline Senninsage

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 112
KG IS the defensive player of the year. For anyone else to win it would be a travesty. KG deserves this award.