Author Topic: I believe Josh Smith could have been had for Wallace and Bass.  (Read 7079 times)

I believe Josh Smith could have been had for Wallace and Bass.
« on: December 23, 2014, 04:22:10 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
It's fair to assume that Josh Smith could have been had for Wallace and Bass, as evident by the fact that Detriot just out right cut him.

Would you have done that trade if you were Danny?

Re: Josh Smith could have been had for Wallace and Bass.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 04:24:04 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I am a bit confused...could someone explain this to me

had we actually trade Bass and Wallace for Josh, it also means we are committed in paying him the 2 years and 13 mil

But now that he is cut, the teams that are trying to sign him, they do not pay him 13 mil? but they could offer something like vet min, a mid or something like that?

If it's the latter, say we kept Rondo, we could've had Josh Smith for the vet min. while he still gets paid by Detroit? right?

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
No
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

Re: I believe Josh Smith could have been had for Wallace and Bass.
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Meh, I think it's time to move on from Josh Smith.

You know something is not right when even the Detroit Pistons are waiving you.

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I am a bit confused...could someone explain this to me

had we actually trade Bass and Wallace for Josh, it also means we are committed in paying him the 2 years and 13 mil

But now that he is cut, the teams that are trying to sign him, they do not pay him 13 mil? but they could offer something like vet min, a mid or something like that?

If it's the latter, say we kept Rondo, we could've had Josh Smith for the vet min. while he still gets paid by Detroit? right?

Yeah, that's how I understand it.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 04:29:34 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I've never wanted Smith near this basketball team.

Rather swallow one more year of the Wallace albatross than take on Smith and that contract.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:12:23 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Why?
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 05:15:12 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
It's fair to assume that Josh Smith could have been had for Wallace and Bass, as evident by the fact that Detriot just out right cut him.

Would you have done that trade if you were Danny?

No.

If they'd cut him earlier and I could have added him to the team for next to nothing, I might have done that and held off on trading Rondo.  But I'm not giving up anything of real value for Josh Smith after his history in Atlanta and Detroit.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 05:17:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
My suspicion is actually the opposite from yours, JSD -- I think that Detroit cut Smith because they didn't want to take on players like Bass and contracts like Wallace, and those were the only deals out there.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
My suspicion is actually the opposite from yours, JSD -- I think that Detroit cut Smith because they didn't want to take on players like Bass and contracts like Wallace, and those were the only deals out there.
This doesn't make much sense. How is it better to have no player, and a contract worse than Wallace's (which is what they achieved by cutting Smith).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 05:25:40 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I wouldn't mind seeing Wallace & Bass traded, but I don't want to see them traded that badly.

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 05:26:02 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This doesn't make much sense. How is it better to have no player, and a contract worse than Wallace's (which is what they achieved by cutting Smith).
Good call DOS.,
Koz if you are using stretch to avoid tax due to expecting to max sign of Monroe.  Smith stretch is better than Wallace stretch. This is because Smith had an extra year his stretch means less $ a year. Stretch rule is 2x years left +1 year. Longer the contract easier the stretch.

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »

Offline the coreys

• JD Davison
  • Tommy Points: 1
Makes you wonder what fans actually see in players. He blows. With Rondo here it would blow even more.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Good call DOS.,
Koz if you are using stretch to avoid tax due to expecting to max sign of Monroe.  Smith stretch is better than Wallace stretch. This is because Smith had an extra year his stretch means less $ a year. Stretch rule is 2x years left +1 year. Longer the contract easier the stretch.
The math in this case is clearly for letting Bass expire and waiving Wallace with a stretch, simply because Smith makes a boatload of money:

Smith's stretch -- $28 million over 5 years = ~5.6 million dead cap.
Wallace's stretch -- $10.1 million over 3 years = ~3.3 million dead cap.

The only caveat is that you can only stretch contracts signed under the new CBA, and I'm not sure Wallace's is.

Also wanted to comment on the bold part: exactly the opposite is true, because in shorter contracts, the "relative weight" of the extra year is higher. At least provided you define "easier to stretch" as "providing the highest cap savings relative to the original per-annum amount".

Example: a $10 million per season contract stretches to $3.3 mil if it's a one-year deal ($10*1/3), and for $4 mil if it is a 2-year deal ($10*2/5). The longer the deal, the higher the stretch amount.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:50:18 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 05:43:07 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526
Josh Smith easily has the record for most discussed player coming back in a trade.   Not totally sure why since most here really seem not to want him.  Yet, we go over it again and again.

3 years form now, when he can be had for $3M and we have a strong veteran lineup, I could see adding him as a bench player -- but only if we have confidence that he would focus on D and boards.