Author Topic: WEEI Article about Jeff Green  (Read 2847 times)

WEEI Article about Jeff Green
« on: March 08, 2013, 01:42:32 AM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green

Re: WEEI Article about Jeff Green
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:18:48 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Good story. Thanks!
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:24:52 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
If his mother was at every college game, wasn't she following the news of the Celtics?  Was she in some sealed bubble for those 10 days before he told her?

And I always feel bad for the sister when they say it was so hard because he was her only son--as if had he merely been another daughter, well, hey, that wouldn't be nearly so bad!

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
If his mother was at every college game, wasn't she following the news of the Celtics?  Was she in some sealed bubble for those 10 days before he told her?

And I always feel bad for the sister when they say it was so hard because he was her only son--as if had he merely been another daughter, well, hey, that wouldn't be nearly so bad!

It may seem odd, but I have some friends (a family) who go to a lot of Celtics games (they get a regular ticket package) but they never seem to know much about the 'news' of things going on around the team.   They don't listen to sports radio or read sports blogs.  And only the husband reads the sports page in passing.

If all you do is go to the games, you wouldn't get a lot of the news about a team unless the other fans around you talked about the issues.

And of course - this all happened before the season started that year so no games to go to.

So maybe it isn't too odd that Jeff's mother didn't know?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »

Offline jojowhite10

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 49
His mom sounds like she is one of the coolest people ever

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:08:38 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

It may seem odd, but I have some friends (a family) who go to a lot of Celtics games (they get a regular ticket package) but they never seem to know much about the 'news' of things going on around the team.   They don't listen to sports radio or read sports blogs.  And only the husband reads the sports page in passing.

If all you do is go to the games, you wouldn't get a lot of the news about a team unless the other fans around you talked about the issues.

And of course - this all happened before the season started that year so no games to go to.

So maybe it isn't too odd that Jeff's mother didn't know?

But his mother?  Wouldn't all of her friends, coworkers and family know very well that he's in the NBA and he's her son?  Wouldn't every one of them ask how he's doing and offer their support?

Just seems weird--and written as if she's a 19th century lady with the vapors, who fainted as it was and couldn't have been told a day or week earlier about her son's condition. Then add in the second bit about it being more traumatic because he's her only son and her other child is just a daughter and the whole article sounds like it really is rooted two centuries back.

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 09:15:20 AM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18

Maybe this all took place when us fans didn't know what was wrong with Jeff - just that he wasn't suiting up for practice.

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 10:03:05 AM »

Offline ScottHow

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 354
  • It's what I do! It's who I am!
Very cool read. Tp

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 10:07:19 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
Awesome read!  Thanks for posting!

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas

Maybe this all took place when us fans didn't know what was wrong with Jeff - just that he wasn't suiting up for practice.

10 days?  That's sure not how I remember it!  BTW, Green and his Mom sound like good people; she seems to have raised him well.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 10:26:08 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I want to know if she goes to Celtics games.  I think "Jeff Green's mom" chants at the Garden would be cool.

We need a new Celtics mom.  I don't know about the rest of you, but I miss Flo Allen more than I miss Ray. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
awesome story...proud that Jeff Green is a Celtic and Wilcox too. 

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 11:06:41 AM »

Offline Mike

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 18

10 days?  That's sure not how I remember it!  BTW, Green and his Mom sound like good people; she seems to have raised him well.

Really?  I remember it being about that long.  Day after day, fans wondering, "what's wrong with Jeff Green?"

Who knows, I may be wrong.  But even if Jeff's mom wasn't following Celtics news, I'm sure someone would have notified her if the casual or even hardcore fan knew about it.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 11:20:04 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I cringe just reading it,

He just might be my favorite player ever.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 12:59:54 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Really?  I remember it being about that long.  Day after day, fans wondering, "what's wrong with Jeff Green?"

Who knows, I may be wrong.  But even if Jeff's mom wasn't following Celtics news, I'm sure someone would have notified her if the casual or even hardcore fan knew about it.

And it was reported at around December 17, so taking that into account, his mother would've been in the dark for about 2 days, not 10 days as it's being led to believe here.