Author Topic: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #14  (Read 10337 times)

Re: 25 Greatest Celtics of All-Time : #14
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 07:55:31 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Kevin Garnett
K.C. Jones
Paul Silas
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 09:02:16 AM »

Offline PistolPete

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 7
Satch
K C
Cornbread

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
KG
Ramsey
Satch

Last round, I voted KC third instead of Ramsey, but took a look at some numbers and am firmly on the Ramsey/Satch bandwagons. Ramsey was the original sixth man and average 19.7 and 8 per 36 minutes, and in the 1959 playoffs led the team with 23.2 points per game in only 27.5 minutes per game. And Sanders seems by all accounts to have been every bit the defender KC Jones was, if not better.

Max
Ramsey
Tiny

Too soon to be voting KG or Ray.  Should still be voting for championship winners that played the majority of their careers with the C's and played productively.   On those merits, KG and Ray don't earn votes.  

That rationale is all well and good for KG and Ray, and I respect feeling that way. But my question is how do you put in Tiny - who played only 5 of his 13 seasons in Boston, and did most of the stuff he got famous for (namely, his 34 ppg-11 apg 72-73 season) while playing with the Royals/Kings in Cincinnati/Kansas City - ahead of KC and Satch?

By the way, really interesting voting so far - no single player has been named on more than half the "ballots." KG and Max on exactly half, nobody else hitting .500. Interestingly, 9 people have voted KG first, 9 people haven't included him, which makes some sense - we're at a point where if KG is being considered, he has to be at the top of what's left because everybody remaining was a role player on championship teams (Max, Satch, KC, Ramsey) or a star for a relatively short period on Celtic teams that didn't win (Lewis, Macauley).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 02:35:02 PM by paintitgreen »
Go Celtics.

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
KG
Macauley
Reggie Lewis

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 09:01:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
KG
Ramsey
Satch

Last round, I voted KC third instead of Ramsey, but took a look at some numbers and am firmly on the Ramsey/Satch bandwagons. Ramsey was the original sixth man and average 19.7 and 8 per 36 minutes, and in the 1959 playoffs led the team with 23.2 points per game in only 27.5 minutes per game. And Sanders seems by all accounts to have been every bit the defender KC Jones was, if not better.

Max
Ramsey
Tiny

Too soon to be voting KG or Ray.  Should still be voting for championship winners that played the majority of their careers with the C's and played productively.   On those merits, KG and Ray don't earn votes.  

That rationale is all well and good for KG and Ray, and I respect feeling that way. But my question is how do you put in Tiny - who played only 5 of his 13 seasons in Boston, and did most of the stuff he got famous for (namely, his 34 ppg-11 apg 72-73 season) while playing with the Royals/Kings in Cincinnati/Kansas City - ahead of KC and Satch?

My rationale for Tiny was based on more productive years with the C's than KG and Ray.  He was critical to all Bird's early teams success (unfortunately only making it to the finals 1 year out of Bird's first 4). His injuries in '83 underlined his importance to the team when they were swept out of the playoffs by the Bucks and was the prime driver for the Robey-DJ trade so that the C's would have a solid PG for the next year.

I understand where you're coming from but that's my rationale.  As of right now, KG would place ahead of Walton who I think his C's career track is somewhat similar(1 healthy year getting a title, one injury-plagued year that if healthy would have resulted in a title)--but definitely not similar in skill level, Mcauley (no title) and Reggie (no title) but after Max, Ramsey and Tiny.  I'd put Ray after all of them except Walton.  Not enough consistancy to get any higher and would have to think about rating him higher than Silas and Satch.  Now if they win again this year and KG and Ray have great years, I'd definitely move them up the list.  I just don't think players that have been with the team only 2 years with 1 title should be voted this high on the list yet.

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 08:59:17 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Bump.  :)
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 09:03:31 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
KG
Max
Reggie
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 10:02:02 AM »

Offline Gemini

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Kevin Garnett
Reggie Lewis
Ed Macauley
Green 18!

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 10:22:58 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
Reggie Lewis
Tiny Archibald
Satch Sanders
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 11:02:02 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Ed Macauley
Danny Ainge (for overall contributions)
K.C. Jones (for overall contributions)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2009, 11:17:48 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
KC Jones
Danny Ainge
KG

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2009, 12:36:26 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
My rationale for Tiny was based on more productive years with the C's than KG and Ray.  He was critical to all Bird's early teams success (unfortunately only making it to the finals 1 year out of Bird's first 4). His injuries in '83 underlined his importance to the team when they were swept out of the playoffs by the Bucks and was the prime driver for the Robey-DJ trade so that the C's would have a solid PG for the next year.

I understand where you're coming from but that's my rationale.  As of right now, KG would place ahead of Walton who I think his C's career track is somewhat similar(1 healthy year getting a title, one injury-plagued year that if healthy would have resulted in a title)--but definitely not similar in skill level, Mcauley (no title) and Reggie (no title) but after Max, Ramsey and Tiny.  I'd put Ray after all of them except Walton.  Not enough consistancy to get any higher and would have to think about rating him higher than Silas and Satch.  Now if they win again this year and KG and Ray have great years, I'd definitely move them up the list.  I just don't think players that have been with the team only 2 years with 1 title should be voted this high on the list yet.

Thanks for the response, I get you. I think comparing KG to Walton is a bit inaccurate - to me, KG is to the 07-08 Celtic title what Bird was to the 85-86 title. Walton seems much more comparable to Posey (albeit on a higher level) than anybody else from the 08 team, but to each his (or her) own.
Go Celtics.

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 01:08:41 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Reggie Lewis
Danny Ainge
Frank Ramsey
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 01:33:33 PM »