Author Topic: 25 GCoAT Discussions  (Read 3806 times)

25 GCoAT Discussions
« on: June 15, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
If you want to discuss your votes, do it here.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

Re: 25 GCoAT Discussions
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 10:36:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Personally I think we should rank every Celtic of all time at every position.

It's easy to rank best guys but what about mid tier or worst guys? Like Eric Williams and Montross. Does Acie Earl beat Jerome Moiso? This kept me up for hours the other night

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:39:33 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

It's easy to rank best guys but what about mid tier or worst guys? Like Eric Williams and Montross. Does Acie Earl beat Jerome Moiso? This kept me up for hours the other night

Hell yeh...Acie Earl over Moiso in a heartbeat!  Kite over Montross...and Kandi Man over Szabo

In fact if I'm ranking those six:

Kite
Montross
Kandi
Earl
Moiso
Szabo

ugghhh...anyone care to debate ranking those 6?
Yup

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 10:47:48 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
So, we had our first (serious) poster rank somebody other than Russell and Bird in the top two.

Cowens over Larry?  Really?  I know that Cowens is a little underrated, but on what planet was he a better player than Larry Bird?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 10:55:58 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Hell yeh...Acie Earl over Moiso in a heartbeat!  Kite over Montross...and Kandi Man over Szabo

In fact if I'm ranking those six:

Kite
Montross
Kandi
Earl
Moiso
Szabo

ugghhh...anyone care to debate ranking those 6?

Good question. I mena Kandi kind of played better than Earl and didn't complain, but you got the feeling that basketball was something he did cause he could make money and Earl seemed to want it way more.

Montross had a good rookie year at a time we needed it, whereas Kite did little when they had a great team so it's tough to say. 

I think we need to get Chris Mihm, Potapenko, and Travis Knight into this discussion, and we haven't even gotten to Thomas Hamilton yet. Maybe playing a full year should be a requirement.

To be fair Mosio didn't play the same position so he'd be on the pf list, not the center list

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
So, we had our first (serious) poster rank somebody other than Russell and Bird in the top two.

Cowens over Larry?  Really?  I know that Cowens is a little underrated, but on what planet was he a better player than Larry Bird?

Well, maybe he was one of the guys who partied with Cowens in 1974?  ;D
I`m a huge fan of Dave Cowens (in retrospect), and can understand if people vote him for #1. These votes are good to get a different view on the topic, imo.

I can also understand if people vote Tommy Heinsohn for #1, it depends on how you weigh off-the-court contributions. Personally, I`ve had a hard time leaving him off of my top 3 for exactly this reason, but I think that Russell, Havlicek and Bird are just iconic faces of three (or four) decades of Celtic basketball, and you canīt put them lower.

I was also inclined to put Bird above Russell, since Bird was one of my childhood heroes, and Iīm still defending his GOAT-status against Magic and Jordan groupies from time to time. But realistically, Russell has to be the #1 Celtic, because everything else just followed and mirrored what he has accomplished.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 09:40:23 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
Cousy
Hondo
Scali

That`s a slap in the face for Will Solomon.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Cousy
Hondo
Scali

That`s a slap in the face for Will Solomon.

Scali beat him out just because of the ring.