Author Topic: CB Draft Eastern Conference Finals: Sixers (1) Vs Knicks (4)  (Read 30306 times)

Re: CB Draft Eastern Conference Finals: Sixers (1) Vs Knicks (4)
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
How does West play without an elite PG and coming off a series injury? How does Varajao play coming off a serious injury? Philly has 2 starters at the 4/5 coming off serious knee injuries and a 3rd big Martin with a huge injury history.

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2011, 02:49:40 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
PG -  Adv Knicks

Hinrich actually tore it up against Deron the several times they've played.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=hinriki01&p2=willide01

SG -  huge Adv 76ers

Two bad defenders vs. the 2nd best player in the game

SF -  small Adv 76ers

About even until you take passing into the equation

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=iguodan01&p2=denglu01

PF -  Adv 76ers

New York's other weakness happens to be my second best scorer

C  -  even

Duncan will be 36 by next year's playoffs, and his game will continue to decline.  My frontcourt is too mobile, he'll probably hurt them more than he'll help.

I see Knicks having the advantage at three positions and a better overall fit.

I am seeing the 76ers and real Heat lite.  Without the Heat's best player. 
And with LeBron-lite, more size, defense and rebounding at the 5, better defense at the 1, a better fit at PF, an UNBELIEVABLY better bench, a more well-rounded/versatile offense, and a better overall defense.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2011, 02:50:30 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Very surprised, reading some of the comments. I get the impression that some are overthinking this and/or are looking for reasons to vote against the favorite. Either that or Taj Gibson, Jodie Meeks, and yes, the declining Tim Duncan are a lot better than I think they are.

To me, this is a mismatch in Philly's favor.

I don't think this thing is clear-cut by any means and I certainly don't think I'm overthinking it.  Its a genuinely tough matchup in my eyes.
Not surprised since you even thought the Bullets were better than the 6ers.

You personally, aren't over-thinking it, but some of these comments are ridiculous.  I mean the only argument I've had against my team for the past week is "a zone MIGHT slow down your offense for two minutes before your guys adjust, just like it would any team, and there's nothing two of the best slashing and passing wings in the game can do about it."

Yeah, I did.  I even had both teams ranked ahead of you in the regular season so, at least I'm remaining consistent here.  I've never been entirely sold on the Wade/Iggy dynamic.  I'm just not entirely that high on Iggy in general.  I think this matchup proves problematic for you in certain aspects just as New York has their hands full with Wade.

Its not lopsided, IMO, and I never saw the East as lopsided or heavily favored, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:11 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

C  -  even

Duncan will be 36 by next year's playoffs, and his game will continue to decline.  My frontcourt is too mobile, he'll probably hurt them more than he'll help.

Even??  Duncan and Anderson Varejao are... even?  Even when Duncan is 38, Duncan will still outproduce Varejao.  That is crazy talk.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I think Wade is a better player than Deron, and Iggy better than Deng though that one is close. Given Duncan's decline and the 76ers superior bench I think Philly has this one in a fairly standard five games. Two wins at home, split on the road, and they close them out.

« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
How does West play without an elite PG and coming off a series injury? How does Varajao play coming off a serious injury? Philly has 2 starters at the 4/5 coming off serious knee injuries and a 3rd big Martin with a huge injury history.
Oh jeez, here comes the only other argument.

How bout some fresh material guys?
Philly:

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Very surprised, reading some of the comments. I get the impression that some are overthinking this and/or are looking for reasons to vote against the favorite. Either that or Taj Gibson, Jodie Meeks, and yes, the declining Tim Duncan are a lot better than I think they are.

I don't think this thing is clear-cut by any means and I certainly don't think I'm overthinking it.  Its a genuinely tough matchup in my eyes.

You personally, aren't over-thinking it, but some of these comments are ridiculous.  I mean the only argument I've had against my team for the past week is "a zone MIGHT slow down your offense for two minutes before your guys adjust, just like it would any team, and there's nothing two of the best slashing and passing wings in the game can do about it."

What good is it to have two slashers like this if there is only one ball and you have only one shooter?  

All we heard this season is how Wade and Lebron don't work great together.  They both have overwhelming talent that helped them overcome alot of the issues.  

AI doesn't have that overwhelming talent.  With Wade, he will be pushed into the outside shooter role.  He isn't good enough at that role.  

And if you force the ball into his hand, you just made Wade into an outside the three point line spectator.  

Either way, there is a serious flaw between you 2/3.  

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2011, 02:53:44 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

C  -  even

Even??  Duncan and Anderson Varejao are... even?  Even when Duncan is 38, Duncan will still outproduce Varejao.  That is crazy talk.
I think Duncan has an advantage, but its not a mismatch of massive proportions anymore. Timmy is a worse defender than Varajaeo and his superior rebounding and offense are no longer game changers.

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

What good is it to have two slashers like this if there is only one ball and you have only one shooter?  

All we heard this season is how Wade and Lebron don't work great together.  They both have overwhelming talent that helped them overcome alot of the issues.  

AI doesn't have that overwhelming talent.  With Wade, he will be pushed into the outside shooter role.  He isn't good enough at that role.  

And if you force the ball into his hand, you just made Wade into an outside the three point line spectator.  

I think Iggy is a fine fit next to Wade. They'd have no problems sorting out who should lead the offense when. Not similar to the LeBron/Wade pairing at all.

« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2011, 02:55:40 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
PG -  Adv Knicks

Hinrich actually tore it up against Deron the several times they've played.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=hinriki01&p2=willide01

SG -  huge Adv 76ers

Two bad defenders vs. the 2nd best player in the game

SF -  small Adv 76ers

About even until you take passing into the equation

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=iguodan01&p2=denglu01

PF -  Adv 76ers

New York's other weakness happens to be my second best scorer

C  -  even

I see Knicks having the advantage at three positions and a better overall fit.

I am seeing the 76ers and real Heat lite.  Without the Heat's best player. 
And with LeBron-lite, more size, defense and rebounding at the 5, better defense at the 1, a better fit at PF, an UNBELIEVABLY better bench, a more well-rounded/versatile offense, and a better overall defense.

Bosh is better then West.  

Bosh last season had to be a third option behind two of the biggest volume shooters in the NBA.  

West had the best PG in the NBA.  

« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2011, 02:57:13 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

I think Iggy is a fine fit next to Wade. They'd have no problems sorting out who should lead the offense when. Not similar to the LeBron/Wade pairing at all.

No doubt who should have the ball in their hands.

But it makes AI2 a lot less valuable offensively.

And his strengths do not make things easier for Wade.

Therefor, bad fit.

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Yet they got to the Finals.

Here's the real "overwhelming talent" difference between LeBron and Iguodala:  scoring.

In the playoffs they had similar rebounding rates, similar defense, and Iguodala had a better assist %.

I see Iggy and Wade actually fitting together better LeBron and Wade, because Wade is more comfortable as the main option.  He is just as efficient as LeBron, so Wade taking over those shots isn't a big deal.  Now Wade doesn't have to play off the ball as much, and now he is the clear go-to scorer late in games.

We don't really lose any passing, rebounding, or defense, while losing a little bit of scoring, and improving every other area where the Heat had weaknesses.

Also you can't really look at LeBron's advantages over Iggy and not his disadvantage.  Iguodala has much less of a problem playing off the ball.  He had a 19 usage, compared to LeBron's 31.  I think that will result in much smoother roles for the 76ers compared to the Heat.  I don't see how can say Philly will struggle with ball-dominance as much as Miami, when Iguodala doesn't "need" the ball nearly as much as LeBron, and isn't even ball-dominate in the first place (Holiday had a higher usage than him).
Philly:

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2011, 03:06:09 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Therefor, bad fit.
I still think you're focusing on the negatives.  The positives of the two of them together are way bigger.
Philly:

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2011, 03:06:52 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Therefor, bad fit.

I disagree.  AI2 has thrived in the past when he didn't have the ball in his hands.

Playing next to AI, he averaged 18/6/6, and played spectacular defense.

Playing alongside Jrue Holiday and Lou Williams, he averaged 14/6/6, and played spectacular defense.

This is a guy who is used to playing next to guys who handle the ball more than he does.  He's capable of being his team's primary scorer, but he's better when he's looking for fewer scoring opportunities, and is distributing the ball.  He'll be extremely willing to defer to Wade, and as Wade showed this past season, he'll be willing to get Iggy the ball in good spots, as well.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2011, 03:07:47 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Lebron, Wade and Bosh got to the finals

And lost

Wade and West are not equal.  

I am sorry, but AI2 can not be put in Lebrons place as an argument for equal outcomes.  

If Lebron, Wade and Bosh are only good enough to make the finals, why should we expect replacing Bosh with a lesser PF and replacing the best player in the NBA with a very good role player is going to go as far?