Author Topic: CB Draft Eastern Conference Finals: Sixers (1) Vs Knicks (4)  (Read 30304 times)

Re: CB Draft Eastern Conference Finals: Sixers (1) Vs Knicks (4)
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I wouldn't throw Deng on Wade.  Let Wade get his.  Pressure and press Iggy and NY has the advantage at PG and slightly in the frontcourt, IMO.  I'm not completely sold on West right now following the injury.

Wade will get his. Just shutdown the supporting cast.

Going zone in spurts certainly wouldn't hurt, either.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:42 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think New York  could slide Deron onto Wade, remember Wade-- as much as I know he's the best player in the NBA-- is only 6'4"/ 6'5". But does Deron have it in him to guard the best player on the 76ers AND run his teams offense this late in the playoffs? I'm not sure.
Deron Williams can't guard D-Wade.

Deron is a below average defender when moved to the two spot.

I don't put Deron on Wade and I don't think Wade can/will shut down D-Will. If I am NY I think about playing a zone because both Wade and Iggy were like 32% 3 point shooters last I checked.

Agree, agree, agree. Use the length to make them shoot over you. It will lose you the games they're hot, but it might win you the series.
Until they start blowing by Jodie Meeks and dishing out to Hinrich/Douglas/Barbosa, West/KMart, and Bonner

Can West/KMart hit 3's?   I know we've discussed this before, but mid range jumpers and "turnaround jumpers" are NOT ways to beat a 2-3 zone.  You can claim they do all you want, but there's no way you're convincing me nor any intelligent basketball fans out there that they do.

I don't see how Douglas or Barbosa are going to help you.  Are they coming in for Hinrich?  If so, then you don't gain anything in shooting and lose some of your defense on D-Will.  If they come in for Wade.... well that just hurts everywhere.

It sounds like Bonner would be coming in for Varejao, which would be a huge sacrifice on your defense on Duncan.

When bringing in poor defensive shooters against a zone, you need to weigh the balance of:  are these players going to score enough to offset what I'm giving up on defense with them?  In your case, you're bringing in poor defenders at positions where you NEED good defenders, so it's a tough call.

I'd consider bringing in Bonner to the 4 to spread the floor while having Varejao underneath trying to work the offensive glass and still in there to guard Duncan.
They can't hit 3s but they have long range and Bonner led the league in 3pt FG%.

That's not how I'll attack the zone, we've talked about this 1000 times.  Wade and Iguodala's penetration and passing will destroy it, having good shooting bigs is just a bonus.  As for turnaround jumpers, yes they absolutely can break a zone, plenty of "intelligent" basketball players know that.  It's a 1 on 1 shot, as opposed to a shot in the paint where the defense collapses.  With West and Wade's post up games, it's a great last option if the shot clock in running down.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2011, 02:08:03 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
New York absolutely should not put Tim Duncan on David West. Duncan doesn't have the speed or agility anymore to defend a PF who can play away from the rim offensively.

In contrast, Taj Gibson has excellent quickness and agility defensively plus good size and length and is a very good defensive matchup against David West.

New York would be shooting themselves in the foot if they kept Duncan on D.West.

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2011, 02:09:02 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think New York  could slide Deron onto Wade, remember Wade-- as much as I know he's the best player in the NBA-- is only 6'4"/ 6'5". But does Deron have it in him to guard the best player on the 76ers AND run his teams offense this late in the playoffs? I'm not sure.
Deron Williams can't guard D-Wade.

Deron is a below average defender when moved to the two spot.

I don't put Deron on Wade and I don't think Wade can/will shut down D-Will. If I am NY I think about playing a zone because both Wade and Iggy were like 32% 3 point shooters last I checked.

Agree, agree, agree. Use the length to make them shoot over you. It will lose you the games they're hot, but it might win you the series.
Until they start blowing by Jodie Meeks and dishing out to Hinrich/Douglas/Barbosa, West/KMart, and Bonner

Can West/KMart hit 3's?   I know we've discussed this before, but mid range jumpers and "turnaround jumpers" are NOT ways to beat a 2-3 zone.  You can claim they do all you want, but there's no way you're convincing me nor any intelligent basketball fans out there that they do.

I don't see how Douglas or Barbosa are going to help you.  Are they coming in for Hinrich?  If so, then you don't gain anything in shooting and lose some of your defense on D-Will.  If they come in for Wade.... well that just hurts everywhere.

It sounds like Bonner would be coming in for Varejao, which would be a huge sacrifice on your defense on Duncan.

When bringing in poor defensive shooters against a zone, you need to weigh the balance of:  are these players going to score enough to offset what I'm giving up on defense with them?  In your case, you're bringing in poor defenders at positions where you NEED good defenders, so it's a tough call.

I'd consider bringing in Bonner to the 4 to spread the floor while having Varejao underneath trying to work the offensive glass and still in there to guard Duncan.
They can't hit 3s but they have long range and Bonner led the league in 3pt FG%.

That's not how I'll attack the zone, we've talked about this 1000 times.  Wade and Iguodala's penetration and passing will destroy it, having good shooting bigs is just a bonus.  As for turnaround jumpers, yes they absolutely can break a zone, plenty of "intelligent" basketball players know that.  It's a 1 on 1 shot, as opposed to a shot in the paint where the defense collapses.  With West and Wade's post up games, it's a great last option if the shot clock in running down.

How does that work if there is only one spot up 3 point shooter?

And with Wade, wouldn't a second outside shooter be a better fit then another "need the ball, attack and kick out" player?

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2011, 02:12:29 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
I wouldn't throw Deng on Wade.  Let Wade get his.  Pressure and press Iggy and NY has the advantage at PG and slightly in the frontcourt, IMO.  I'm not completely sold on West right now following the injury.

That's the plan Don... We can't stop Wade, only hope to contain.

New York absolutely should not put Tim Duncan on David West. Duncan doesn't have the speed or agility anymore to defend a PF who can play away from the rim offensively.

In contrast, Taj Gibson has excellent quickness and agility defensively plus good size and length and is a very good defensive matchup against David West.

New York would be shooting themselves in the foot if they kept Duncan on D.West.

Thsi is a good point and we'll adjust the gameplan accordingly. I do believe that *for this season* West, coming off an ACL injury, will not have the same level of mobility he has throughout his career -- which is why we were going to play Duncan on him a few stretches a game.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2011, 02:21:40 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Better fit, yes.  Easier to guard?  Yes.

Obviously there are weaknesses to two unbelievably athletic, good passing slashers, but there are more advantages.  A zone isn't going to stop them at all.
Philly:

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2011, 02:23:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I just voted....

before i submitted my first vote to determine all the playoff teams, i felt as though philly was the best in the east.  i still feel that way and thus, my vote went to them. the are legit for the title imo

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2011, 02:25:02 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

That's the plan Don... We can't stop Wade, only hope to contain.

Thsi is a good point and we'll adjust the gameplan accordingly. I do believe that *for this season* West, coming off an ACL injury, will not have the same level of mobility he has throughout his career -- which is why we were going to play Duncan on him a few stretches a game.
You mean *for this offseason*  Almost a full year from now West is going to be wiping the floor with a 35 year old Duncan.
Philly:

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2011, 02:30:14 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Very surprised, reading some of the comments. I get the impression that some are overthinking this and/or are looking for reasons to vote against the favorite. Either that or Taj Gibson, Jodie Meeks, and yes, the declining Tim Duncan are a lot better than I think they are.

To me, this is a mismatch in Philly's favor.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2011, 02:31:21 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Better fit, yes.  Easier to guard?  Yes.

Obviously there are weaknesses to two unbelievably athletic, good passing slashers, but there are more advantages.  A zone isn't going to stop them at all.

Stop Wade, no.

Slow him down?  With only one shooter out there, yes.

No one is worried about slowing down AI2. 

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
PG -  Adv Knicks

Hinrich actually tore it up against Deron the several times they've played.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=hinriki01&p2=willide01

SG -  huge Adv 76ers

Two bad defenders vs. the 2nd best player in the game

SF -  small Adv 76ers

About even until you take passing into the equation

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=iguodan01&p2=denglu01

PF -  Adv 76ers

New York's other weakness happens to be my second best scorer

C  -  even

Duncan will be 36 by next year's playoffs, and his game will continue to decline.  My frontcourt is too mobile, he'll probably hurt them more than he'll help.
Philly:

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2011, 02:37:43 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Very surprised, reading some of the comments. I get the impression that some are overthinking this and/or are looking for reasons to vote against the favorite. Either that or Taj Gibson, Jodie Meeks, and yes, the declining Tim Duncan are a lot better than I think they are.

I don't think this thing is clear-cut by any means and I certainly don't think I'm overthinking it.  Its a genuinely tough matchup in my eyes.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2011, 02:38:52 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

That's exactly how I was seeing it.
Philly:

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 02:39:59 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
PG -  Adv Knicks

Hinrich actually tore it up against Deron the several times they've played.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=hinriki01&p2=willide01

SG -  huge Adv 76ers

Two bad defenders vs. the 2nd best player in the game

SF -  small Adv 76ers

About even until you take passing into the equation

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&p1=iguodan01&p2=denglu01

PF -  Adv 76ers

New York's other weakness happens to be my second best scorer

C  -  even

Duncan will be 36 by next year's playoffs, and his game will continue to decline.  My frontcourt is too mobile, he'll probably hurt them more than he'll help.

I see Knicks having the advantage at three positions and a better overall fit.

I am seeing the 76ers and real Heat lite.  Without the Heat's best player. 

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2011, 02:45:21 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

I don't think this thing is clear-cut by any means and I certainly don't think I'm overthinking it.  Its a genuinely tough matchup in my eyes.
Not surprised since you even thought the Bullets were better than the 6ers.

You personally, aren't over-thinking it, but some of these comments are ridiculous.  I mean the only argument I've had against my team for the past week is "a zone MIGHT slow down your offense for two minutes before your guys adjust, just like it would any team, and there's nothing two of the best slashing and passing wings in the game can do about it."
Philly: