Author Topic: Trade Idea For Cleveland  (Read 2959 times)

Trade Idea For Cleveland
« on: June 18, 2008, 03:20:15 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
This is a trade idea I have come up with for the Cleveland Cavs. Cleveland sends Wally Szcerbiak, Eric Snow (both expiring contracts) and a first round pick to Milwaukee for Michael Redd, and Dan Gadzuric.

Why for Milwaukee? Milwaukee saves a lot of money in this deal. Michael Redd has become stale in Milwaukee, and it has already been rumored that Redd is on the trading block. Micheal Redd is in his prime, however, he is already too old for Milwaukee to build a team around. We have seen a popular trend in NBA trades which involve star players in exchange for expiring contracts.

Cleveland also takes on a terrible contract which Milwaukee does not want to pay in Gadzuric. After this deal, Milwaukee will be in much better position to build a team. They will have tons of cap space, two picks, and three solid young players with potential in Bogut, Villanueva, and Yi.

Why for Cleveland? Redd would be the ultimate sidekick for Lebron. Redd is a great shooter, but can also score in other ways. Redd is the second scorer Cleveland really needs. A lineup of Delonte, Redd, James, Wallace, and Z is scary. Cleveland then has Smith, Gibson, Verejao, and Pavlovic off the bench. This would definitely be a team that could give the C's a real scare next year.

Is this trade possible? With the recent trends in the NBA, I dont see why this trade would be impossible. It seems perfectly logical to me. I have no evidence for what I am about to say, I am just going on a hunch, but there is no way Redd is happy playing in Milwaukee. Redd would gladly welcome a trade to play with James. I don't know if Milwaukee could get a better money saving deal, and still make Michael Redd happy.

Re: Trade Idea For Cleveland
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 03:38:12 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Ummm ... trade ideas for rival teams on the day of the Celtics first Championship in 22 years ..... Good some of these trade rumours have been picking away at me over the past two or so weeks.

The whole question is very difficult because of new GM John Hammonds. It really depends on what he wants to do next. Does he go into full rebuilding mold? Rebuild on the run? Keep Redd as his No.1 option? Try to move Redd to No.2 option? Trade the youth and build a veteran team?

All indications are that Hammonds wants to keep Redd - you don't phone your star and reassure him over a trade rumour unless you want to keep him happy and productive for your team)

I think the Bucks should be looking for a lot more than expiring contracts for Michael considering his age and his short supply skill set (high scorer+great shooter). I think they need to acquire some type of young talent or draft picks to smooth over the deal. Somebody like a Travis Outlaw (Travis and LaFrentz for Redd makes some sense). A young player who's definitely going to be a good rotation player for a long time with potential for more, more along the lines of Randy Foye than Al Jefferson, someone less established and not a sure thing star wise.

That said if Milwaukee was going into full rebuilding and looking to move Redd to facilitate that I could consider the idea of getting rid of a bad contract instead of the young player. I can see the value in that idea. I agree with your stance KungPoweChicken (just copped on to the Powe part). The player I'd be trying to off is Bobby Simmons though. I'd want out of that contract in a hurry. Or Mo Williams who's killing that franchise with his horrific understanding of how to run a team (if they traded Mo Williams for TJ Ford they'd be a lock for the playoffs again).

Cleveland desperately need a scorer and shooter so Redd makes sense for them all day.

As for what Milwaukee should do ... I wouldn't consider trading Redd unless I'm getting a talent upgrade. Milwaukee doesn't need to go any further into the lottery to add players. What they need to do is trim the dead weight and build an actual team around the talent they have. I don't think they can part with all their bad contracts so getting rid of Redd for financial flexibility doesn't make a huge amount of sense to me especially since they're very unlikely to find a player better than Redd for the same money in free agency. If they did manage to move the dead weight which will happen sooner or later (contracts expire) the team will have enough flexibility to build a contender around the guys they got if they develop their youngsters well.