Author Topic: Celtics Orlando Updates  (Read 29734 times)

Re: Celtics Orlando Updates
« Reply #195 on: July 23, 2020, 05:17:11 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Yeah saying Giannis is better than KG/Duncan is pretty disingenious.

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, and has the potential to also end up as a top 20 player. But Tim Duncan/Garnett were just as special, if not more. Not to mention the Bucks teams the past few years were really great, just never coached properly.

Ya i dont know man, I think you could argue that Giannis has been better the last two years than KG or Duncan ever were.  He has a one MVP already will likely win a second this year and maybe a DPOYas well.

Tim Duncan also won 2 MVP's by the age of 25. I'm not diminishing Giannis's greatness, his numbers are straight up video game ridiculous.

But if you want to be considered greater than Tim Duncan, I believe you need the championships to back that up.

Manu and Tony says Hi.

Greg sends his regards, too.

I guess we're going to ignore the fact in 2002-2003, Tim Duncan pretty much took 20 year old TP, relatively new Manu, and aging 31 year old Bruce Bowen to the Finals and won the Championship?

My god, we forget how great Tim Duncan was... It is truly injustice and almost downright crazy that Duncan has never won DPOY, despite being one of the greatest defenders at his position, and that's no sleight to KG.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #196 on: July 23, 2020, 05:24:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Don't get me wrong, he's a great player, and has the potential to also end up as a top 20 player. But Tim Duncan/Garnett were just as special, if not more. Not to mention the Bucks teams the past few years were really great, just never coached properly.

Ya i dont know man, I think you could argue that Giannis has been better the last two years than KG or Duncan ever were.  He has a one MVP already will likely win a second this year and maybe a DPOYas well.

Tim Duncan also won 2 MVP's by the age of 25. I'm not diminishing Giannis's greatness, his numbers are straight up video game ridiculous.

But if you want to be considered greater than Tim Duncan, I believe you need the championships to back that up.

I mean sure, but Giannis is 25 and KG didn't win his first and only Championship until he was what 31? As good as Tim Duncan was he had A LOT of help. Neither of those guys ever got past 25 PPG either and thats despite playing a far higher minutes load per game.

I mean look, its not really fair to compare them because we have no idea what Giannis' career will look like, but  if he has any sort of longevity at all I think there's a better than decent shot we look back on him being better than those guys.

My main point is if somebody told me they'd take Giannis at 25 over Duncan or KG at 25 i dont think thats crazy.

PPG is not conductive always conductive to team success. Yes, Duncan has had a lot of help. And agreed, Greg is one of the greatest coaches of all time. But isn't Tim Duncan also the reason why they are so great?                                                                                                                                                 But without TD, there's no way I could ever see TP/Manu lead the team to a championship. Duncan was and will always be the best player on that Spurs dynasty.

My point stands, before anyone throws out, "Giannis is the greatest power forward of all time," let's wait and see if his longevity as you mentioned, and career is long-withstanding.

I also may be biased, but I truly believe Giannis gets away with murder half the time on his drives, and has a penchant for being to push off/arm bar defenders and somehow they are rarely called. That being said, I wouldn't fault anything for saying Giannis has had better seasons than TD/KG, but I personally don't think that is the end be all for determining greatness.

It's the same reason why people don't regard Stockton on the same level as Magic Johnson or Isiah Thomas.

« Reply #197 on: July 23, 2020, 05:27:09 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Manu and Tony says Hi.

I guess we're going to ignore the fact in 2002-2003, Tim Duncan pretty much took 20 year old TP, relatively new Manu, and aging 31 year old Bruce Bowen to the Finals and won the Championship?

My god, we forget how great Tim Duncan was... It is truly injustice and almost downright crazy that Duncan has never won DPOY, despite being one of the greatest defenders at his position, and that's no sleight to KG.

Oh no doubt....TD was the Real Deal.

It just seems that KG had criminally lower-rated talent around him in Minny.

« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2020, 05:37:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas

Manu and Tony says Hi.

Oh yeah for sure. KG's best teammate was Stephen Marbury, who refused to be a 'side-kick,' which is ironic, because KG was 100% okay with Marbury getting all the fame and glory.

I truly think ego is what destroys championship duos.

People always proclaim KG wasn't as great as TD, I think if the roles were reversed, I think we would be talking about KG instead of TD.

MJ is the GOAT, but he also had Hall of Famers on his team. It's no surprise you need great players to win.

Could Giannis go down as one of the greatest?

Absolutely.

I have no doubt that he could. He seems like a genuine nice guy who works hard, and supports his teammates.

But GOAT'S generally are players who shined on both ends of the floor.

Giannis could certainly be that guy.

« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2020, 06:29:06 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZtmzXswyZs

JEEZ LOUISE, TATUM IS HITTING SOME TOUGH FREAKIN' SHOTS ON BROWN LIKE IT'S NOTHING!

8) 8) 8)
Man, Tatum looks beeeefy. A strong upper bodied Tatum is a problem!

[Rooks] One of the more entertaining parts of the day. Jaylen Brown vs Jayson Tatum 1-on-1. Lots of trash talking lol. I asked Jayson who ended up winning. “We played 7 games. Jaylen won 4-3”

Loving the chemistry between the two.

Help me - watching these 2 I am dreaming that both continued exponential growth over the last 4 months and are ready to tear the league apart.  I am dreaming right?

Fire & Ice baby.

JEEZ LOUISE, TATUM IS HITTING SOME TOUGH FREAKIN' SHOTS ON BROWN LIKE IT'S NOTHING!

8) 8) 8)

[Rooks] One of the more entertaining parts of the day. Jaylen Brown vs Jayson Tatum 1-on-1. Lots of trash talking lol. I asked Jayson who ended up winning. “We played 7 games. Jaylen won 4-3”

Help me - watching these 2 I am dreaming that both continued exponential growth over the last 4 months and are ready to tear the league apart.  I am dreaming right?

I hope it's not a dream. Boston would then have what it's never had—though should've had with Bias and Lewis—two bonafide superstars not yet in their prime, but not far from it. That would be the best thing Boston's had since Bird-McHale-Parish (I would say Pierce-KG-Allen, but KG's knee ruined that potential dynasty).

We just need to find our KG. But I feel like we have our Pierce/Allen pieces.
Easier said that done though, 08 KG (not even peak KG lol) would likely be one of the best players in the league today if not the best.

Yeah, it was more of a joke if anything lol. Finding anything similar to KG or Duncan in today's era is probably almost next to impossible.

I do see a lot of parallels of Draymond in Tillman, but I did make a lot of terrible draft selections that thankfully Ainge is 19708419466713181236 steps ahead of me.
Davis and Giannis are probably the closest things to KG and Duncan in the modern league but yeah they are more like general prime year KG/Duncan than peak KG/Duncan.
Put Smart’s brain in Timelord’s body and we’re getting somewhere!

I forgot we're still waiting on Timelord to develop an NBA game.

Meanwhile NBA Rookie Bol Bol who the Celtics passed on multiple times just put up 16 pts, 10 rebounds, and 6 blocks for the Nuggets in their first scrimmage...

sigh...
I assume you missed the game where Timelord put up 6 blocks in an actual competitive NBA game. You’re effectively getting all jumped up about a guy playing better in pre-season than one of ours did in the actual league.

Not surprising given it’s you, but it’s nonetheless lazy.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #200 on: July 23, 2020, 06:36:37 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

8) 8) 8)

Fire & Ice baby.

8) 8) 8)

I hope it's not a dream. Boston would then have what it's never had—though should've had with Bias and Lewis—two bonafide superstars not yet in their prime, but not far from it. That would be the best thing Boston's had since Bird-McHale-Parish (I would say Pierce-KG-Allen, but KG's knee ruined that potential dynasty).

Easier said that done though, 08 KG (not even peak KG lol) would likely be one of the best players in the league today if not the best.

Yeah, it was more of a joke if anything lol. Finding anything similar to KG or Duncan in today's era is probably almost next to impossible.

I do see a lot of parallels of Draymond in Tillman, but I did make a lot of terrible draft selections that thankfully Ainge is 19708419466713181236 steps ahead of me.
Davis and Giannis are probably the closest things to KG and Duncan in the modern league but yeah they are more like general prime year KG/Duncan than peak KG/Duncan.

Meanwhile NBA Rookie Bol Bol who the Celtics passed on multiple times just put up 16 pts, 10 rebounds, and 6 blocks for the Nuggets in their first scrimmage...

sigh...
I assume you missed the game where Timelord put up 6 blocks in an actual competitive NBA game. You’re effectively getting all jumped up about a guy playing better in pre-season than one of ours did in the actual league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2GfZweUqo

Against the Spurs, IN San Antonio too.

I think the most impressive part was Timelord one on one with LaMarcus Aldridge towards the end of that clip.

How often do we see LaMarcus Aldridge pass out of SINGLE coverage?

« Reply #201 on: July 23, 2020, 06:58:15 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

8) 8) 8)

Fire & Ice baby.

8) 8) 8)

sigh...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sx2GfZweUqo

Against the Spurs, IN San Antonio too.

I think the most impressive part was Timelord one on one with LaMarcus Aldridge towards the end of that clip.

How often do we see LaMarcus Aldridge pass out of SINGLE coverage?

He had a good showing against AD from what i remembered one night in boston

« Reply #202 on: July 23, 2020, 08:40:15 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362

8) 8) 8)

Fire & Ice baby.

8) 8) 8)

sigh...

Bol Bol certainly gave those Washington reserves a pounding  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #203 on: July 23, 2020, 10:36:10 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Re: the KG/Duncan vs Giannis debate, I don't think it's really fair to use accolades when we're talking about their peak seasons - accolades aren't all that reliable in approximating player "goodness" and they aren't created equal. For example, Moses' 79 MVP (yes I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point, but it's a really good example imo) isn't very reliable when it comes to evaluating his impact that season and definitely isn't equal to say the MVPs of Duncan and Garnett in the 2000s where they had to compete with each other at the peak of their powers (their peak years roughly overlapped in that 02-04 stretch).

I think Giannis is already there offensively - he's definitely better than peak Duncan (he's just flat out a better floor raiser) and has a good argument against Garnett on that end of the floor. What he lacks against the two is defence - he's not the rotation machine that KG/Duncan were due to holes in his defensive awareness (eg. gobbles up everything in front of him, but doesn't know where everyone is) and his defensive playmaking as a "sweeper" lags behind the two (Garnett and Duncan had better stock rates at their very best compared to 2019 and 2020 Giannis). He definitely deserves his DPOY this season (he's one of the best defenders in the league right now), but he's still a tier or two below KG/Duncan on that end and that separates them from him (I see the defensive gap being larger than their offensive disparity).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #204 on: July 23, 2020, 10:40:40 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Manu and Tony says Hi.

Oh yeah for sure. KG's best teammate was Stephen Marbury, who refused to be a 'side-kick,' which is ironic, because KG was 100% okay with Marbury getting all the fame and glory.

I truly think ego is what destroys championship duos.

People always proclaim KG wasn't as great as TD, I think if the roles were reversed, I think we would be talking about KG instead of TD.

MJ is the GOAT, but he also had Hall of Famers on his team. It's no surprise you need great players to win.

Could Giannis go down as one of the greatest?

Absolutely.

I have no doubt that he could. He seems like a genuine nice guy who works hard, and supports his teammates.

But GOAT'S generally are players who shined on both ends of the floor.

Giannis could certainly be that guy.
Minny KG pretty much only had one supporting cast that was championship-worthy in 2004 and his run got ruined because Cassell had to hurt his hip by doing a ridiculous dance ::), it was a miracle that the Wolves took 2 games off of the Lakers in the WCF without Cassell.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #205 on: July 24, 2020, 07:26:01 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

8) 8) 8)

Fire & Ice baby.

8) 8) 8)

sigh...

"The month of July" and "people having hot takes about young guys based on meaningless games": name a more iconic duo
I'm bitter.

« Reply #206 on: July 24, 2020, 02:48:18 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
They finally got him.

“This is real because the mask that Lou will has on was in the gift bag at the hotel."

Lou Williams was partying with Jack Harlow last night, after being excused to leave the NBA bubble Jack Harlow posted them partying together on his Instagram story. A post which Jack quicky deleted... Probably at Lou’s instruction.

"I gotta leave the bubble for 'personal,' reasons." - Lou Williams

Somewhere, LeGM is stroking his gray beard with a smile on his face.

I feel like this mans should be getting some kind of penalty right?  This has to be enforced for breaking the rules, not to mention he lied to the NBA for leaving for 'personal,' reasons.

NBA snitch hotline is going off the hook right now!  ::)

« Reply #207 on: July 24, 2020, 03:22:34 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
They finally got him.

“This is real because the mask that Lou will has on was in the gift bag at the hotel."

Lou Williams was partying with Jack Harlow last night, after being excused to leave the NBA bubble Jack Harlow posted them partying together on his Instagram story. A post which Jack quicky deleted... Probably at Lou’s instruction.

"I gotta leave the bubble for 'personal,' reasons." - Lou Williams

Somewhere, LeGM is stroking his gray beard with a smile on his face.

I feel like this mans should be getting some kind of penalty right?  This has to be enforced for breaking the rules, not to mention he lied to the NBA for leaving for 'personal,' reasons.

NBA snitch hotline is going off the hook right now!  ::)

I'd be surprised if he's allowed back in the bubble for two weeks from when he tries to enter should it be accurate.

« Reply #208 on: July 24, 2020, 03:31:12 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Re: the KG/Duncan vs Giannis debate, I don't think it's really fair to use accolades when we're talking about their peak seasons - accolades aren't all that reliable in approximating player "goodness" and they aren't created equal. For example, Moses' 79 MVP (yes I'm probably beating a dead horse at this point, but it's a really good example imo) isn't very reliable when it comes to evaluating his impact that season and definitely isn't equal to say the MVPs of Duncan and Garnett in the 2000s where they had to compete with each other at the peak of their powers (their peak years roughly overlapped in that 02-04 stretch).

I think Giannis is already there offensively - he's definitely better than peak Duncan (he's just flat out a better floor raiser) and has a good argument against Garnett on that end of the floor. What he lacks against the two is defence - he's not the rotation machine that KG/Duncan were due to holes in his defensive awareness (eg. gobbles up everything in front of him, but doesn't know where everyone is) and his defensive playmaking as a "sweeper" lags behind the two (Garnett and Duncan had better stock rates at their very best compared to 2019 and 2020 Giannis). He definitely deserves his DPOY this season (he's one of the best defenders in the league right now), but he's still a tier or two below KG/Duncan on that end and that separates them from him (I see the defensive gap being larger than their offensive disparity).

Ya i disagree, i don't think he's quite as good as those guys defensively but I dont think he's that far behind. And honestly, he plays in an era where defense is a lot harder than during Duncan or KG's prime due to more spaced floors, no hand checking, ect.

I think the difference between him and KG/Duncan is pretty substantial offensively, you can build an entire offense around Giannis which just wasn't true of Duncan or KG as good as they were. I think thats a pretty substantial factor.

But all that said I think this is a thread on Celtics Orlando updates so we are probably getting off track.

« Reply #209 on: July 24, 2020, 03:47:02 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

Ya i disagree, i don't think he's quite as good as those guys defensively but I dont think he's that far behind. And honestly, he plays in an era where defense is a lot harder than during Duncan or KG's prime due to more spaced floors, no hand checking, ect.

I think the difference between him and KG/Duncan is pretty substantial offensively, you can build an entire offense around Giannis which just wasn't true of Duncan or KG as good as they were. I think thats a pretty substantial factor.

But all that said I think this is a thread on Celtics Orlando updates so we are probably getting off track.
I'm sorry, but how could you possibly think this? Tim Duncan won three championships being the clear number one option, and KG never had the cast of players that Giannis currently has. For the few times in KG's prime when he did have a decent supporting cast, his teams we're phenomemal and made it just as far as Giannis has in his playoff career.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum