Author Topic: Is Ben Simmons the next Lebron?  (Read 3863 times)

Is Ben Simmons the next Lebron?
« on: November 08, 2015, 10:01:15 AM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
That's who he reminds me most of as a point forward. Am I nuts?
The only color that matters is GREEN

Re: Is Ben Simmons the next Lebron?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 07:03:02 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Been awhile since the original post, but, after watching quite a lot of LSU basketball over the last month or so, I have a new comparison for Simmons. Now, this comparison stems from by (personal) belief that Simmons is by nature a passive player, meaning, he definitely has the talent, but he seems hesitant to get in and use that talent. Shows flashes but doesn't really continue for a whole game, until he breaks out for the occasional super game.

My comparison is: a better, stronger, bigger, Rajon Rondo.

Both are elite rebounders for their respective positions. Both have elite passing skills, and both seem to look to make shots for others before they make their own shot. Neither has a reliable jump shot, and both seem to have periods when they aren't as involved in the offense. Both are frequently seen simply dribbling the ball at the top of the arc, waiting for the offense to happen, and when it never does, they let someone else handle it. Both use the paint as their way to score. Both put up stats and numbers, it doesn't always translate to wins, however.

Obviously Simmons has more talent (at least in my eyes), but just as Rondo wasn't a fit for our team (and the way Brad likes to play offensively), I'm a little scared that Simmons (due to some of the weaknesses I described above) won't be a great fit either.

Thoughts?
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 07:47:12 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Been awhile since the original post, but, after watching quite a lot of LSU basketball over the last month or so, I have a new comparison for Simmons. Now, this comparison stems from by (personal) belief that Simmons is by nature a passive player, meaning, he definitely has the talent, but he seems hesitant to get in and use that talent. Shows flashes but doesn't really continue for a whole game, until he breaks out for the occasional super game.

My comparison is: a better, stronger, bigger, Rajon Rondo.

Both are elite rebounders for their respective positions. Both have elite passing skills, and both seem to look to make shots for others before they make their own shot. Neither has a reliable jump shot, and both seem to have periods when they aren't as involved in the offense. Both are frequently seen simply dribbling the ball at the top of the arc, waiting for the offense to happen, and when it never does, they let someone else handle it. Both use the paint as their way to score. Both put up stats and numbers, it doesn't always translate to wins, however.

Obviously Simmons has more talent (at least in my eyes), but just as Rondo wasn't a fit for our team (and the way Brad likes to play offensively), I'm a little scared that Simmons (due to some of the weaknesses I described above) won't be a great fit either.

Thoughts?

I think Simmons is a 6-10 Evan Turner, myself.  I think he's a great fit, since Stevens likes multiple ball handlers on the floor at the same time, which very much applies to Simmons.  He's a dominant player as a freshman.  He has NBA measurements to boot.  I'd love to see what Stevens can do with a player who can play on the block and at the point.  The LSU coach is an embarrassment.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 07:49:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Watching Simmons, I have also had the thought that maybe he could be sort of like a 6'10'' version of Rondo.

Considering that Rondo at his very best played kind of like a 6'1'' point forward, a 6'10'' Rondo could be pretty freaking incredible.

Let's hope Ben Simmons can shoot free throws a bit better, though.  It's hard to be a franchise player if you can't reliably get to the line and make free throws.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 07:59:44 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Let's hope Ben Simmons can shoot free throws a bit better, though.  It's hard to be a franchise player if you can't reliably get to the line and make free throws.

Or shoot at all.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 08:02:35 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Oh lord don't let him be a diva whiner , please let him be more like Curry or Duncan.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 08:03:19 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Or shoot at all.

Right, and at the moment he doesn't really shoot.

Rondo has actually developed a passable jumpshot.  These days he's hitting 33% of threes on two attempts per game, which is not good, but it's passable at least.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 08:22:43 PM »

Offline TwinTower14

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
I think he is a better version of Lamar Odom. Might not shoot as well but he is a better passer, athlete and BB IQ...

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 09:04:44 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597
I think his floor is an athletic version of Evan Turner, Ricky Davis or Lamar Odom. Lebron or Magic Johnson would be his ceiling if he can even reach it.