Author Topic: Rumor: Minnesota and Memphis trading picks?  (Read 4558 times)

Rumor: Minnesota and Memphis trading picks?
« on: June 22, 2010, 02:17:52 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/news/story?id=5315275

The Memphis Grizzlies and Minnesota Timberwolves are close to swapping first-round draft picks, a source with direct knowledge of the situation tells ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

The Grizzlies would send their 16th overall pick to Minnesota for the Timberwolves' 25th and 28th picks.

That ought to be reversed. Minnesota has the #16, while Memphis has the two late 1sts.

[EDIT: ESPN has corrected the original text: Minnesota would trade the higher pick for Memphis' two late 1sts.]
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 04:47:25 PM by Lucky17 »
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

Re: Rumor: Minnesota and Memphis trading picks
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:33:11 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

The Memphis Grizzlies and Minnesota Timberwolves are close to swapping first-round draft picks, a source with direct knowledge of the situation tells ESPN.com's Andy Katz.

The Grizzlies would send their 16th overall pick to Minnesota for the Timberwolves' 25th and 28th picks.

That ought to be reversed. Minnesota has the #16, while Memphis has the two late 1sts.
If this was on the table for the 19th pick would you guys do it?
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 02:36:06 PM »

Offline EmilioBonilla

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 8

Yes, the Griz think that they could possibly get two players that could help them out in the immediate future with those two picks rather than just one.

For the Celts i wouldn't mind them trading up with their
#19 and a future pick.
I bleed Green

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:36:22 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White

I would, but I know very little about the talent at the back end of the draft. It's possible that a guy on Ainge's board at #19 could still be there at #25, though, right?

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 02:46:51 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Hell yes. After the lottery, the talent level through the early second is very similar. Teams would be wise to trade for multiple picks unless they have their eye on a specific player.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:57:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
I would rather have the mid (Wolves) to late (Celtics) teens draft picks than a mid + late twenties picks.

There is a lot of uncertainty over who will be available with those two late picks but you'll definitely have a chance at acquiring a good prospect in the teens.

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 02:59:40 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

Hell yes. After the lottery, the talent level through the early second is very similar. Teams would be wise to trade for multiple picks unless they have their eye on a specific player.
I agree, the more I look into this draft the more players I find that intrigue me.

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 03:01:11 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I would rather have the mid (Wolves) to late (Celtics) teens draft picks than a mid + late twenties picks.

There is a lot of uncertainty over who will be available with those two late picks but you'll definitely have a chance at acquiring a good prospect in the teens.

As the mocks are going right now, I would rather have the 2 picks in the 20's, rather than #19.  If guys like Babbitt, Henry, Patterson, Bradley, and Bledsoe are going to be off the board at 19, then I think having two shots at some of the less skilled, but athletic guys at the end of the round would be better.

I just see the C's being in no-mans land right now...at least if the mocks hold true to form.  

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 03:03:43 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

While I agree that there is a lot of uncertainty over who will  be available at those 2 late picks, I am certain that there will be quality players. That is why it would be better to acquire 2 quality players rather than 1. The only exception is if Danny has his eye on someone who won't fall that far.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:41:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557

While I agree that there is a lot of uncertainty over who will  be available at those 2 late picks, I am certain that there will be quality players. That is why it would be better to acquire 2 quality players rather than 1. The only exception is if Danny has his eye on someone who won't fall that far.
yeah but the 2 quality players aren't as much quality as the 1 guy.  For a team like the Celtics that just lost on the road in game 7 of the NBA finals, I'd rather have the 1 better player then the 2 lesser players.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 04:43:29 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

yeah but the 2 quality players aren't as much quality as the 1 guy.  For a team like the Celtics that just lost on the road in game 7 of the NBA finals, I'd rather have the 1 better player then the 2 lesser players.
For a team with 6 players under contract I'd take the 2 lesser players. Especially because I believe that the degree to which they are lesser is very small.

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 04:45:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
This would give Minnesota the #4, #23, #25, and #28 picks in the 1st round, and #45 and #56 in the 2nd round.

It's a curious draft strategy for a team that needs to upgrade talent, not get younger. If anything, they should be consolidating picks to move up.

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 04:51:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This would give Minnesota the #4, #23, #25, and #28 picks in the 1st round, and #45 and #56 in the 2nd round.

It's a curious draft strategy for a team that needs to upgrade talent, not get younger. If anything, they should be consolidating picks to move up.

David Kahn is a curious guy.  He has quickly become the king of the "huh?" move.  Particularly on draft day.  It's almost as if he is just trying to mess with everyone.

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 05:10:39 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103

Maybe their owner is cheap and wants more picks so he can sell them.  Portland just paid 2M to trade the 44th pick for the 34th (could be off, but it was moving up ten picks).  Maybe the Minny owner is looking to pocket 4 or 5M.  Sure seems like an odd strategy adding 4 first rounders to your team that already is young and sucks.  I think they'd nearly guarantee themselves to have one of the worst three records in the league next year, but maybe that's part of the strategy; i.e. have to severely suck, and consequently strike several times with near top of the lottery picks.

Who knows?  Agree that Kahn is a curious dude.

David Kahn is a curious guy.  He has quickly become the king of the "huh?" move.  Particularly on draft day.  It's almost as if he is just trying to mess with everyone.

Re: Rumor: Minnesota and Memphis trading picks?
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 05:38:24 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2418
Kahn is copying Ainge's strategy of accumulating as many assets as possible. He has no regard for how they fit so long as he gets the best talent available. At a later stage, Kahn will try to mold those assets into a basketball team.

Whether that is a good plan or not ... that is what he is trying to do.