Author Topic: Morrison and Hollins or Howard  (Read 5192 times)

Re: Morrison and Hollins or Howard
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2009, 11:43:15 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Bottom line with trades like this, IMHO, is that we're a 28-5 team.  This is like trading mud for mud hoping that something sticks to the wall. 

Our mud must already be sticking somewhere....We're 28-5.  I don't think under those circumstances you do something lateral trying to find a diamond in the rough.  Hollins and O'Bryant are probably a wash.  Howard and Powe....I take Powe.  The next time Morrison plays defense will be the first time.  If you don't get somebody you KNOW can help...like a vet with something left, leave things alone and develop what you have. 

If our bench is good enough to play on a 28-5 team while the starter's minutes are down, the starters will be plenty fresh come playoff time.

Augustin, Okafor, Diaw, or Wallace are the only players I'd like to see in green on the Bobcats' roster. 

but is the reason that we are 28-5 because the bench is doing their job or because the starters are overcompensating right now while the bench finds itself...

i'm more to the latter.

How can you say that, winsomme?  The starter's minutes are down and the team has a better record than last season.  Rivers, during most of these wins, has had the bench playing big minutes without any starter in.

The losses to LA and Golden State are acceptable.  To blame the bench for either is plain wrong.  They ran into a hot Gasol in the Lakers game and still almost won.  They played exhausted at the end of the GS game because they were.  Had Rivers taken his ritalin, he'd have sat the starters the entire second half of that unlosable scrimmage against Sacramento so the starters wouldn't look exactly like they did in the Sacramento game in the fourth quarter.  Yes, our lack of bench length hurt us.  But it hurt us a lot more that Perk was by himself in the paint while Garnett played one of his softest games as a Celtic.  It would have been nice if our highest paid player would shut his mouth and compete inside when it's necessary for his team to win.

As I said earlier, if length without the necessary skill set was the only prerequisite to compete, we already have that in O'Bryant.  Sometimes, when we need length, Garnett needs to play like a 7-footer and not a 2-guard.  Hollins has the same skill set as O'Bryant.  Scal is way more valuable than any of the three this trade is proposing.  He fits into to this system and is an excellent defensive player.

it's not about the losses or the minutes for that matter....it's about the increased burden that is being placed on the starters due to unreliable and inconsistent bench-play.

there is a cumulative effect going on here IMO and it needs to reverse itself.

it's not about blaming the bench for losses on this road trip. it is simply noting that the bench is overall not playing well this season and it needs to change.

some of it is just the guys here playing better, but i also think we still have a hole at backup SF that needs to be filled..

Re: Morrison and Hollins or Howard
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2009, 11:53:20 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Actually the team now has a worse record than they did at this point lastyear...Celts started 30-3 last year
Yup