Author Topic: Sean Williams?  (Read 19418 times)

Re: Sean Williams?
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2008, 12:10:45 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I watched him play a lot at BC, he's better than Perk last year offensively, and defense wise his crazy athleticism is unique and highly useful in the Celtics switch everything schemes.

Well, athleticism is all good and well, but is he smart enough (or does he work hard enough) to learn all of the correct rotations?  Because learning them is a prerequisite for playing time for the C's.

« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2008, 12:20:43 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
He played in a pro style defense at BC and was pretty good. His SAT scores coming into BC were quite high, and people I know in the know said immaturity not intelligence was the issue. Obviously that doesn't mean he'd get it done with the C's - but I don't think BBD/Powe tandem gets it done either.

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 01:54:28 AM »

Offline orrzor

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 58
I'd take him in a heartbeat. Although I don't think he'd get much playing time this year, I'd expect him to be backing up Perkins by next year. Although he has played nothing this year, his rookie season was promising, much more so than POB's. I think if Williams gets whatever is troubling him straightened out, he'd be challenging Dwight Howard for leader in blocks.

« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2008, 02:49:52 AM »

Offline Junkyard Dawg

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
Just because a guy tears apart his locker doesn't mean he has a burning passion to play and contribute.  I didn't know him personally at BC but some of my friends did, and the knock on him was that he didn't care about playing or winning games, which is why he kept getting busted with weed with no regard for any of the consequences...

He's got enormous potential, and he's smarter than people give him credit for, but it might take too much to get a guy who'd rather smoke a blunt on the couch and play video games than win championships.

« Reply #49 on: December 30, 2008, 03:32:30 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He is a good player but easily excited to block every shot. I think doc and ainge would be a good influence on him. His speed and athletism is definitely what the celts crave for

I think new jersey with more than 3 pf right now would trade williams for pretty much anything they can get. I think a 2nd rounder would do it even.

Another guy i think the celts should consider is stromile swift who hasn't got a lick of playing time in a long while. He is also sort of a headcase that doesnt' try up to his max potential. But i'm sure kg will straigthen him up good if he came on board. He is making 6 million to have a front row seat right now and i'd easily offer scal, 2nd round pick and cash for him.

« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2008, 03:36:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He's a vastly different player than POB. I think he's probably more talented.

Williams is more of danny ainge style of player than the methodical POB. Williams can run is athletic, can play defense

He is young and needs some dicipline in his life.

« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2008, 05:23:08 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I watched him play a lot at BC, he's better than Perk last year offensively, and defense wise his crazy athleticism is unique and highly useful in the Celtics switch everything schemes.

Well, athleticism is all good and well, but is he smart enough (or does he work hard enough) to learn all of the correct rotations?  Because learning them is a prerequisite for playing time for the C's.
There has been reports in some of the Jersey papers that Sean Williams has had difficulty learning NJ's plays, and that, that has hurt his progress. There were reports of this in both his rookie season and near the start of this season.

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2008, 08:01:56 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

There has been reports in some of the Jersey papers that Sean Williams has had difficulty learning NJ's plays, and that, that has hurt his progress. There were reports of this in both his rookie season and near the start of this season.

Powe had trouble for quite a while picking up plays as well.  Remember he was benched last year for missing defensive rotations.  He's even missed some defensive rotations this year which caused Doc to replace him with BBD (who btw picked up the rotations his rookie year).   

All that being said, it is not uncommon for it to take young players some time to pick up rotations.  I'd love to have Williams.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I have a feeling that we havn't seen the worst of this guy yet.  In a few years he may be in the ranks of other head case/busts.

« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2008, 08:20:50 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
I've done a lot of research on the topic and I think the main problem with Sean Williams is that he completely sucks.

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I've done a lot of research on the topic and I think the main problem with Sean Williams is that he completely sucks.

I laughed, I'll admit it.

TP4U, well played sir.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2008, 08:38:41 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
haha!  Yep!  And if we did aquire him, it would just be another dumb athletic freak for everyone to pick on, and wonder why he isn't so much better.  The man does not know how to play basketball...POB and TA are much smarter players, and we know how much love those two get on this site.

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2008, 10:09:35 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

The trade I would do Is Scal and JR giddens, for Sean Williams and Eduardo Najera. That way if Williams is a chump here we get an upgrade over Scal.

« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
Not a big Najera fan. I could see Scal and BBD for Williams and Dooling, but the C's would be taking an extra year of a bad contract, however Williams would be a huge upgrade. Williams busted his butt and looked good playing against KG last year.

I'm definitely NOT convinced that he'll get it right, and a return to BOS could easily hinder that - however for a team that will have trouble adding elite talent, taking a flyer on a guy like Williams is well worth it.

« Reply #59 on: December 30, 2008, 12:06:58 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Not a big Najera fan. I could see Scal and BBD for Williams and Dooling, but the C's would be taking an extra year of a bad contract, however Williams would be a huge upgrade. Williams busted his butt and looked good playing against KG last year.

I'm definitely NOT convinced that he'll get it right, and a return to BOS could easily hinder that - however for a team that will have trouble adding elite talent, taking a flyer on a guy like Williams is well worth it.

No way I would include BBD in a deal for a guy like Williams, unless PJ or Smith is waiting in the wings.  Williams is a project at best.  He may be more useful than POB this year (but thats not a guarantee), but to expect him to take Davis' rotation minutes is absolutely rediculous IMO.

If they are trading another project like Giddens for him, then great, but the rotation players are off limits for a guy like that.