Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at Pacers (2-0) Game #3 12/27/20  (Read 39903 times)

Re: Celtics (1-1) at Pacers (2-0) Game #3 12/27/20
« Reply #480 on: December 27, 2020, 11:36:03 PM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I didn't watch the game so I won't coment the game itself. Sad we lost this way (bad third quarter, bad last shot from Tatum). I get the frustration of some but we must still put all this on perspectiv. Tatum is not there but no doubt the way tatum ended last year wasn't a fluke... We really need Kemba and probably Theis and TT are not a viable- 4/5 core. 
CBS may be frustrating and this last play is a mistake... But it is a strange begining of season. Yesterday Bucks lost ag NYK, Clippers took an hitoric minus 50 points in an half ag Mavs, Philly is loosing by 20+ ag Cavs and one of the worst team Cha beat Nets... We have to go threw an unprobable begeining of season. The more important is to develop the team and be in position to catch a top 4 in the east. At one point we have to move for a TPE player, but I am sure Danny will. And maybe I am a fool but I think Tatum can still progress in his choices and productin at 22...

« Reply #481 on: December 27, 2020, 11:53:28 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Worked all day, DVR'd the game...came home watched the entire thing only to see Tatum freeze like a deer in headlights on that final possession....awful....dribble out the clock like Magic Johnson in the 84 Finals.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #482 on: December 28, 2020, 12:11:16 AM »

Offline Celtics Mike

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 237
Celtics will never be contenders if they can't resolve the persistent 3Q meltdowns. That should be Brad's top priority. It is inexcusable that the 3Q meltdowns have been a recurring  feature of Brad Stevens Celtics teams every year

« Reply #483 on: December 28, 2020, 12:31:41 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Celtics will never be contenders if they can't resolve the persistent 3Q meltdowns. That should be Brad's top priority. It is inexcusable that the 3Q meltdowns have been a recurring  feature of Brad Stevens Celtics teams every year

This is recency bias because iirc during it years we used to turn it up at the half and our problems was starting.

« Reply #484 on: December 28, 2020, 03:01:09 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Worked all day, DVR'd the game...came home watched the entire thing only to see Tatum freeze like a deer in headlights on that final possession....awful....dribble out the clock like Magic Johnson in the 84 Finals.

I think Tatum took the exact shot he was looking for.

The problem is that with the team down 1 point, the shot he was looking for was a step back three instead of trying to beat his man off the dribble and take it to the rim.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #485 on: December 28, 2020, 03:25:37 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

This is recency bias because iirc during it years we used to turn it up at the half and our problems was starting.
ECF is our ceiling at this point if they don't fix anything within this team. Tatum still tunnel vision and Brad regressed to being one-dimensional at this point.

« Reply #486 on: December 28, 2020, 03:27:00 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The Celtics still have a lot to work on but everyone knew this coming into the season. A lot of folks are running off the cliff here.

« Reply #487 on: December 28, 2020, 04:17:47 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
The Celtics still have a lot to work on but everyone knew this coming into the season. A lot of folks are running off the cliff here.
The thing I'm worried about is that we aren't really working on it - it's the same old thing whenever we get into crunch time situations.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #488 on: December 28, 2020, 05:05:53 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The thing I'm worried about is that we aren't really working on it - it's the same old thing whenever we get into crunch time situations.
Precisely. It’s been the same issues for a while
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #489 on: December 28, 2020, 08:27:23 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
So either Brad drew up a truly garbage play, or Tatum & everyone else on the court ignored his drawn up play and went along with a Tatum heave. Dunno what’s worse.

And the other option is Indiana defended the drawn up options and Tatum took the best play he thought was now available.  I’d say bad judgement by Tatum wasting too much time initially looking for a play that wasn’t there. With 8 seconds left there’s a couple seconds for looking at options, but you are basically a quarterback in the pocket.  Of nothing there in 2-3 seconds you have to make a move and under the circumstances that move should have been toward the hoop not further away from it.

« Reply #490 on: December 28, 2020, 08:39:24 AM »

Offline Darth_Yoda

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 52
I am starting to fall into the fire brad camp.

He makes no changes, holds no one accountable and is not good at development.

Brown and tatum are not on brad and exclusively on themselves. He has developed no one.

I'm not a Brad apologist, but this is silly. You've had players that have come through here and had their best years under Brad. Evan Turner, Jordan Crawford, Isaiah Thomas. There's a lot of things Brad can improve, but developing players or getting more out of them than others coaches have isn't one of those things.

Isaiah Thomas didnt improve under Brad, he was playing very well prior coming here. He got time here, that is all.

Evan Turner and Jordan Crawford??????? Poor examples cause they are nothing players.
'21 Historical Draft
PG: Kyle Lowry / Mookie Blaylock / Mark Jackson
SG: Reggie Miller / Jeff Hornacek / Nick Anderson
SF: George Gervin / George McGinnis / Kyle Korver
PF: Connie Hawkins / Serge Ibaka / Josh Smith
C: Clint Capela / Bill Laimbeer / Jusuf Nurkic

« Reply #491 on: December 28, 2020, 09:07:16 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 364
Why not drive and go for a fadeaway 2 rather than a fadeaway 3 when you are only down 1? That's what I don't get.

Same issue as the bucks game. It was poor shot selection. Dribble past the guy and go for a 2. It's a better option

« Reply #492 on: December 28, 2020, 09:40:34 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Why not drive and go for a fadeaway 2 rather than a fadeaway 3 when you are only down 1? That's what I don't get.

Same issue as the bucks game. It was poor shot selection. Dribble past the guy and go for a 2. It's a better option
Seen this many a times in college and pro games..instead of driving in, players stand and dribble for 15 seconds then shoot a 27 foot shot.. I don’t get it
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #493 on: December 28, 2020, 09:48:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

Tatum is not very good at dribbling past people. He can do it some times but not all the time / most of the time. He lacks that explosive quickness or trickery of slower more capable ball-handlers.

I don't think CBS should be putting Tatum in those situations at end of quarters / end of games. He needs to run a play. Or get Tatum a touch closer to the basket in the mid-post / low post area where he can better use his size / shot fakes.

« Reply #494 on: December 28, 2020, 09:50:01 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I am starting to fall into the fire brad camp.

He makes no changes, holds no one accountable and is not good at development.

Brown and tatum are not on brad and exclusively on themselves. He has developed no one.

I'm not a Brad apologist, but this is silly. You've had players that have come through here and had their best years under Brad. Evan Turner, Jordan Crawford, Isaiah Thomas. There's a lot of things Brad can improve, but developing players or getting more out of them than others coaches have isn't one of those things.

Isaiah Thomas didnt improve under Brad, he was playing very well prior coming here. He got time here, that is all.

Evan Turner and Jordan Crawford??????? Poor examples cause they are nothing players.

Isaiah was not an All-Star, All-NBA player before Boston. Brad didn't just give him minutes, he built an entire offense around a player that was pretty much a 6th man to that point in his career. Credit Isaiah for taking advantage of the opportunity, but also credit Brad for recognizing the talent and putting him in a position to succeed.

And how are Turner and Crawford bad examples when they exactly prove my point? Evan and Jordan were not great players, but they far exceeded expectations while here. Without his season in Boston under Brad, I doubt Portland pays Evan $71 million. Don't just disregard something because it doesn't fit your narrative. It shows your bias.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman