Author Topic: Celtics (1-1) at Pacers (2-0) Game #3 12/27/20  (Read 40195 times)

Re: Celtics (1-1) at Pacers (2-0) Game #3 12/27/20
« Reply #420 on: December 27, 2020, 10:31:31 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
It’s possible that the play Brad drew was too complicated for our players so Tatum just went for heave with time close to running out

« Reply #421 on: December 27, 2020, 10:31:55 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
What happened to the Brad Stevens Boy Genius out-of-bounds plays ?

All they seem to do anymore is give it to Tatum for a one-on-one iso.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #422 on: December 27, 2020, 10:31:56 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I am starting to fall into the fire brad camp.

He makes no changes, holds no one accountable and is not good at development.

Brown and tatum are not on brad and exclusively on themselves. He has developed no one.

I'm not a Brad apologist, but this is silly. You've had players that have come through here and had their best years under Brad. Evan Turner, Jordan Crawford, Isaiah Thomas. There's a lot of things Brad can improve, but developing players or getting more out of them than others coaches have isn't one of those things.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #423 on: December 27, 2020, 10:32:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
What the heck happened to Theis? He disappeared in the second half.

« Reply #424 on: December 27, 2020, 10:32:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I doubt that was the play Steven's drew up. Is Tatum gun shy of driving to the rim now to try to win the game (the Bam effect)?
I was thinking of that block what it did to him lol

« Reply #425 on: December 27, 2020, 10:32:51 PM »

Offline scaryjerry

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 176
If brad called a different play then the players aren’t listening which is just as bad as him calling that atrocity of a last play.

« Reply #426 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:04 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
He wasn’t on the bench. Looked like he got hit in the head area at some point and then just never came back after that.

« Reply #427 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:12 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
For those saying that wasn't what Brad drew up - what DID he draw up then?  I watched the game on a crappy stream so maybe I missed something.  I saw three Celtics standing around the 3 point line, and one Celtic set a "screen" (a lazy misdirection) which didn't serve any real purpose.  Tatum had the ball at the same spot the entire time and settled for a terrible 3.

What was the play?

There was no play. Just throw it up.

« Reply #428 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:23 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
For those saying that wasn't what Brad drew up - what DID he draw up then?  I watched the game on a crappy stream so maybe I missed something.  I saw three Celtics standing around the 3 point line, and one Celtic set a "screen" (a lazy misdirection) which didn't serve any real purpose.  Tatum had the ball at the same spot the entire time and settled for a terrible 3.

What was the play?

And they were only down by one.  Tatum had plenty of time to go to the rim and late kicked it to rob underneath if he wanted.  Woulda been a better shot selection even if missed.  Brad has no clue what to do with this team but ya know he’s popovich level ::)

« Reply #429 on: December 27, 2020, 10:33:31 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

What was the play?

Those guys were likely looking for Tatum to drive and for a lay-up/get to the line or drive and kick. Instead, he just keeps lazily dribbling the ball way outside the arc and hoping for the best. Down by one you do anything but what Tatum keeps doing. I don't know what is going on inside that guy's head, but he needs to learn some humility quickly and realize that you don't just become a top player because you think you should be one.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2020, 10:39:44 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #430 on: December 27, 2020, 10:34:01 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
He wasn’t on the bench. Looked like he got hit in the head area at some point and then just never came back after that.

Darn. I hope he didn't get a concussion or anything.

« Reply #431 on: December 27, 2020, 10:34:25 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I remember when Brad used to call great out of timeout plays.

This was downright awful, straight out of the Doc Rivers playbook of iso for Pierce.

We were only down 1, why the heck are you going for a setback 3????

Because that is Tatum's money shot!

« Reply #432 on: December 27, 2020, 10:34:27 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
I don’t care why anyone says. Stevens is a trash coach and is holding this team back. That’s the best play you can come up with?!?!? ****H.

I’m willing to bet that wasn’t the play Brad drew up

If so, that's even worse, as that would mean that his young star doesn't even respect him enough to honor his play calls. Too soft either way. Time to go.

There is zero chance that in 3 recent games down by 1 (MIA game 1 ECF,  MIL, and IND), the play Brad calls up is a prayer 3 by Tatum. I have high hopes for Tatum, but guy thinks a lot more highly of himself than he should. Plays with absolutely no fire. He knew was a superstar when he entered the league and that's exactly how he plays. I would give the ball to anybody but Tatum at the ends of games. Pritchard, for instance, would have gotten a much better look either by passing or creating for himself. Obviously Tatum refuses to do it. I do not put this on Brad - except for the fact that his best player does not care to follow his direction.

But again - that's even worse than a crappy play call lol If Tatum already doesn't respect him at this stage in his career, then that's a major problem. And that is *completely* in line with Brad's soft character and personality and his history of being unable to manage strong personalities like this. He's just too soft.

« Reply #433 on: December 27, 2020, 10:34:51 PM »

Offline Scottiej23

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 214

Darn. I hope he didn't get a concussion or anything.

Maybe Tatum had the concussion on that last play?

« Reply #434 on: December 27, 2020, 10:35:08 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
I don’t care why anyone says. Stevens is a trash coach and is holding this team back. That’s the best play you can come up with?!?!? ****H.

I’m willing to bet that wasn’t the play Brad drew up

If so, that's even worse, as that would mean that his young star doesn't even respect him enough to honor his play calls. Too soft either way. Time to go.

There is zero chance that in 3 recent games down by 1 (MIA game 1 ECF,  MIL, and IND), the play Brad calls up is a prayer 3 by Tatum. I have high hopes for Tatum, but guy thinks a lot more highly of himself than he should. Plays with absolutely no fire. He knew was a superstar when he entered the league and that's exactly how he plays. I would give the ball to anybody but Tatum at the ends of games. Pritchard, for instance, would have gotten a much better look either by passing or creating for himself. Obviously Tatum refuses to do it. I do not put this on Brad - except for the fact that his best player does not care to follow his direction.
His idol is Kobe. The only difference is that Kobe proved his case much more often than Tatum