Author Topic: 76ers Fans Panicking over Fultz; Many Deeming Trade a Disaster  (Read 12671 times)

Re: 76ers fans panicking over fultz, many deeming the trade a disaster
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 06:16:20 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
One reasons why you shouldn't trust any hype from draft "experts".

That is not fair. Fultz is not a case like Yi or Bender when everyone overestimated their development Fultz has turned into a bust for reasons nobody could have  foreseen.

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 06:16:53 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
How long until they come to a conclusion that you can't start 2 non-shooters in today's game if you are trying to be a serious team?
GSW can pull it off, but Roco-Šarić-Embiid trio is not Curry-Klay-Durant.
After they bench Fultz his confidence will drop even more.
And truthfully McConnell (also close to a non-shooter) is a better backup PG than Fultz.

I'd trade him, rather than to go in the downward spiral, making another mistake to address a made mistake. Admit you were wrong, trade him, and move on with a clear and decent plan.

Either that or you have the same architectural issues and you have to answer the same questions before and after every game and practice.
"How is Markelle?"
"Do you like what you saw in his performance with the starters?"
"Is it possible that JJ will return in the starting 5?
"Markelle, how is your confidence level right now?"...

One mistake is OK, making several others continuously in the same variation after that is not a way to go.

At least Joel was being sober and admitted that this is not a rivalry. Refreshing.
I feel like one of the things that would make it hard to trade him is that his value, I'm assuming, is at a very low level right now. He hasn't proven any real strong NBA caliber skill, besides ball-handling really.

What kind of return do you think Philly could get for him? I'm struggling to think of any that wouldn't truly embarrass them
The return they would get is:
- a possibility of a clear plan in the future.
- better spacing and offense in general, another shooter for Simmons and Embiid
- any asset they receive in return
- putting an end to boring and painful media questions for coach and other players
- dodging a possibility where agitated Ben or Joel might suggest a Fultz trade or similar through media

I would literally take 2 2nd rounders and Bender for him in a trade with Phoenix.
I wouldn't feel embarrassed, we are way past that point. It is time for damage control.
I just don’t think Elton Brand is the guy that would, or could, do such a deal. I don’t think the owners would let him give up on their #1 pick a month or two into his tenure
Brown, Brand, and ownership would all have to agree on that move.
But they have to look themselves in the mirror at one point. The sooner the better for their franchise. As a Celtic fan, as far as I'm concerned, they can promote Fultz to a player-coach role and give him Ben Simmons ball while they are at it. But if they want to give their young stars a shot against our stacked team at one point, they should move on.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 06:17:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528

That is not fair. Fultz is not a case like Yi or Bender when everyone overestimated their development Fultz has turned into a bust for reasons nobody could have foreseen.
Nobody except Danny and his brain doctor team.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 07:12:42 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Fultz when all is said and done would be the Bowie to Jordan...

Not saying Tatum will be MJ but just the impact... Tatum will have atleast an all star appearance in the horizon.. Fultz is looking like he will have a career projection like that of Livingston... But I don't think Fultz is in the league of Kwame Brown or Bennett who are probably the ultimate number one busts in history.
Oh I think Fultz could definitely be on the level of bust of Kwame Brown or Anthony Bennett. One year later after a season of the yips, he still looks horrible.

Look who else Philly could have grabbed

Tatum
Ball
Mitchell
Markennan
Kuzma
Smith, Jr.
Jackson
Fox

There will be a lot of excellent players from that draft the Sixers could have taken but instead they took a guy who could be out of the league in 4 years.
Funny how that draft could turn out to be the best draft crop in years, and the team with the #1 pick chose the worst lottery player.

So do sixers fans still "trust the process"?... Embiid and Simmons aren't benefiting from it....  Lost the Bron sweepstakes, lost the Kawhi sweepstakes...bellinelli and Ilyasova have moved on to greener pastures...well at least they got Wilson Chandler...lol

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 07:19:12 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They would have had a better chance to win with their other guards which makes me think they are showcasing him in hopes someone wants to trade for him.

It was pretty clear that we are hands down the better team.

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2018, 07:45:14 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

That is not fair. Fultz is not a case like Yi or Bender when everyone overestimated their development Fultz has turned into a bust for reasons nobody could have foreseen.

I don't know... I think it was just that DA  liked Tatum more and not that he found something wrong in Fultz's brain. Besides the problem appeared after the  draft. I don't remember any pre draft report saying that fultz messed up his shot.

Anyway for me Fultz has become one of nature's biggest mysteries and nobody realy knows what went wrong with the kid and one way or another we ended up with best player in the draft plus another top 10 pick.

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2018, 07:52:52 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I don't know... I think it was just that DA  liked Tatum more and not that he found something wrong in Fultz's brain. Besides the problem appeared after the  draft. I don't remember any pre draft report saying that fultz messed up his shot.

Anyway for me Fultz has become one of nature's biggest mysteries and nobody realy knows what went wrong with the kid and one way or another we ended up with best player in the draft plus another top 10 pick.
I think it was both.  When it looked like Fultz was consensus #1 pick, I tried to like the guy, but I could see something in his eyes that told me the guy had no confidence in himself.  The trade was a huge relief for me.

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2018, 08:18:30 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He might be a really great project , if he continues to falter and they wind up cutting bait and trading him.   I still think his issue is mostly mental .  He may need several teams or years , coaches , players to grow out of it and find a home.    Philly has yo play while Embiid is still healthy ,  never know when he is going down .  At that point they are sunk.

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2018, 08:53:17 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Where are our Sixer apologists Moranis and tazz when you need em? We need some fair and balanced coverage of this debacle :D

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2018, 09:00:04 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I think it was both.  When it looked like Fultz was consensus #1 pick, I tried to like the guy, but I could see something in his eyes that told me the guy had no confidence in himself.  The trade was a huge relief for me.

I wasn't in love with Fultz and preferred a trade down, but remember thinking we should take him at #1 if we were to keep the pick - as you are supposed to take the consensus #1 at the #1 spot.

Luckily Danny did what so many other GMs wouldn't have done and got his guy plus another likely lottery pick. Everybody lauds DA for his GM acumen, but he still has only won one Executive of the Year award. If this year plays out the way it should, Stevens and DA should be standing on a podium giving acceptance speeches in June.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 09:17:53 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2018, 09:01:40 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
this is what I couldn't understand this offseason when several people here (you know who you are) thought that the Sixers could land players like Butler or Kawhi with a package centered around Fultz.  the kid is damaged goods until he proves otherwise.  last night didn't help that cause.  if he doesn't get it together by the end of the season, his value drops to that of a throw-in in a trade rather than a centerpiece or major piece.

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2018, 09:03:08 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
this is what I couldn't understand this offseason when several people here (you know who you are) thought that the Sixers could land players like Butler or Kawhi with a package centered around Fultz.  the kid is damaged goods until he proves otherwise.  last night didn't help that cause.  if he doesn't get it together by the end of the season, his value drops to that of a throw-in in a trade rather than a centerpiece or major piece.
Completely agree. Packages of Fultz, Covington/Saric and a pick were laughable
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2018, 09:18:51 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
and yet by most reasonable reports, that is exactly the type of trade that would have landed them Kawhi.  They just didn't want to give up Fultz in the trade.

1 game doesn't say much.  I mean if you go by 1 game, then Rozier is better than Irving.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2018, 09:32:38 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Danny should be the highest paid Celtic! including players. 

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
and yet by most reasonable reports, that is exactly the type of trade that would have landed them Kawhi.  They just didn't want to give up Fultz in the trade.

1 game doesn't say much.  I mean if you go by 1 game, then Rozier is better than Irving.
Considering the trade that actually happened was miles better than those 'reasonable reports', I don't really give them much value.

And it isn't 1 game. It's a 365 day body of work where he has shown little to no capacity to be an NBA starter
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)