Author Topic: Doc: "We have to find the right combo or some people have to go"  (Read 30312 times)

Re: Doc: "We have to find the right combo or some people have to go"
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2013, 07:48:57 AM »

Offline bfrombleacher

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 367
How about there's still a month until the deadline?

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2013, 07:53:47 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
http://www.csnne.com/celticsvideo?PID=uvXM2-wq1Sry8YdmyTSAzb9d5bYrjzE0dV1pxd

Not a happy Rondo right here. He has to evaluate his own game and look what he can do, but the laid back guys he refers to should really get their head straight.

Who was it, Washburn, who reported on this locker-room complaint a couple of weeks ago--and many were quick to jump on him for it?

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2013, 09:03:03 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Pierce and Rondo more specifically.

Sully, Green, Lee have been doing their jobs since our winning streak started more or less.

Pierce scores 10 dinky points in 36 minutes is unacceptable. Even though Rondo had 15 assist, 9 turnovers are unacceptable. Its like he only had 6 assist

Actually, there is not much of correlation between assists and turnovers, except that they created a stat to show the proportion between them [meaning an assist doesn't cancel out a turnover - you can still score without a Rondo assist, but you can't score at all if he Rondo turns it over]. Basically 36 assists and 9 turnovers is similar to 8 assists and 2 turnovers...9 turnovers is always unacceptable!

But I am not ready to give up Rondo unless we get a package like Cousins and Evans, which probably isn't happening.

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2013, 09:36:36 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Thing is i don't think we can fart around for another month. If we continue to hover around .500 and then think we are just gonna make a move for Smith or someone and it'll work isn't a good idea. IDK I feel if we're gonna make a deal make it within 2 weeks. Attempt to grab someone who could push us over the top. I mean the Lakers grabbed Pau Gasol in the middle of the season and looked what he did for them that year. They lost to us but getting someone at the right time can make a difference.

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2013, 09:46:12 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Even Doc is craving some cathartic roster turnover right now.

But I've yet to see a realistic trade rumor or proposal that drastically changes the makeup of this team.
Bass, Green, and Terry (or Lee) for Gasol and Ebanks.  Seems like a pretty realistic trade for both teams, and would drastically change the makeup of the team.  Obviously, Gasol needs to be checked out medically to do this, but if he is say 85% or better come playoffs, his low post ability would significantly upgrade Boston's post-season chances.  Far more than a bunch of bench players.  The Lakers clearly need to add some depth and shake things up (and Bass is actually a good fit next to Howard as evident by their time together) so I could see them doing it as well.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »

Offline celticsleyte

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 9
I actually would prefer Doc would focus on coaching and leave the GM work to Ainge.  He should focus on his own job. Sometimes it seems like with his love for veteran players that he does not really like to coach.  Unless Doc means that guys can go to the bench (which should be the bottom line) he should not make it more difficult for Ainge to find trading partners by trashing his players.

Ainge is going to have to determine whether Melo will be able to contribute during the stretch run. If he knows he could contribute he has to not give Doc another veteran option to block his chance.  Personally, I think he could be a decent upgrade over what Ryan Hollins gave us last year.

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2013, 10:06:04 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
To me you float out the names of guys like Bass, Terry and Lee as well as a first and see if some combination will get you a big.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2013, 10:09:22 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
I actually would prefer Doc would focus on coaching and leave the GM work to Ainge.  He should focus on his own job. Sometimes it seems like with his love for veteran players that he does not really like to coach.  Unless Doc means that guys can go to the bench (which should be the bottom line) he should not make it more difficult for Ainge to find trading partners by trashing his players.

Ainge is going to have to determine whether Melo will be able to contribute during the stretch run. If he knows he could contribute he has to not give Doc another veteran option to block his chance.  Personally, I think he could be a decent upgrade over what Ryan Hollins gave us last year.

I think we're beyond concerning ourselves with a stretch run for this year.  I suspect Doc's beyond threatening changes in the rotation and doing so privately.  There's not much further he can go with these guys.

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I would love to see trades made and the roster adjusted so that Doc has a solid 8 man rotation. A rotation that includes the whole bench only seems to work for very young high energy teams not with vets.

Best case

Rondo
Avery
Pierce
Sully
KG
bench
6'4+ SG who can get 10-12 pts game
Green
6'9+ 4/5 who can block shots

enough of this playing everyone, there obviously is a thing called being to deep.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2013, 10:25:04 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Can people stop blaming the new guys for everything?  Yes, Terry has sucked but Doc has also done an awful job in using him AND has continued to play him even while he sucks.  Green needs to be a lot better at rebounding but other than that, he's rounding into exactly the sort of player Boston needs.  Lee has also come back from his horrible start.

The problems on this team are pretty clearly...

1.  Rondo is just too bleepin' inconsistent.  He doesn't come to play some nights and his pick-n-roll defense is frequently atrocious.

2.  Bass has stunk.  He gets maybe 1% of a break because of how Doc passed him over in favor of Sully to start the season, but he's got to be a professional about that.

3.  Doc's stubbornness has been a good thing at times, but he's clearly done a terrible job of adjusting to the team's personnel ever since the Perk trade.  Look no further than the fact that halfway through the season, Boston is STILL trying to run Jason Terry off baseline screens like he was Ray Allen Jr.

4.  Pierce is still rebounding well but he can't score like he used to and I think he's getting a bit of Kobe-itis on defense when it comes to making the effort on every rotation.

5.  KG is old.

Mike

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2013, 10:27:19 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
I would love to see trades made and the roster adjusted so that Doc has a solid 8 man rotation.

You can't play an 8 man rotation when two of the 8, and the two the offense is largely built around, are Pierce and KG.  Neither of them can carry a team the way they did in the past.

Mike

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
You can't play an 8 man rotation when two of the 8, and the two the offense is largely built around, are Pierce and KG.  Neither of them can carry a team the way they did in the past.

Mike

There are 96 minutes at the 1+2. Rondo gets 36. Leaving 30 for AB and 30 for a guard off the bench.

There are 48 min at SF Pierce takes 30 leaves 18 for Green.

There are 96 minutes at 4+5. KG gets 30, Sully gets 30, bench 4/5 gets 30, and Green gets 6min.

With a good enough bench SG and bench big this works. example Jamal Crawford and Zaza Pachulia
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2013, 10:40:49 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
I would love to see trades made and the roster adjusted so that Doc has a solid 8 man rotation.

Mike

Sadly too true!

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Rondo  doesn't have the scoring skills to carry a team night in and night out like KG and Pierce could when they were young.   A flash of offense stardom here and there is the weakness of Rondo.  He depends on having OTHERS do the actual scoring off his ball handling /passing skills.

Jet and Bass just have to play better.  Jet surely can , h is so aweful lately , he can only get bettter.  Bass has effort , but his skill level has maxed out and he is overwhelmed by most starters.  Bass should be on the bench .

The C's are just plain staved for a talented BIG on the front line. Either KG plays 40 minutes or we lose , and he's too old ...puts us up the creek without a paddle.

I look for Danny to get despert and bring in FAB  to see if he can help "ANY" at all before the season goes down the drain.

Like others mentioned it may already be too late for a run this year.

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2013, 10:50:31 AM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
It's clear to me that Bass and Green have both been infected with a common NBA malady - paid-itis.  Paid-itis sets in with many players immediately after signing a long term contract.  It's most common in players with laid back personas or players who like to eat a lot. 

Some of the symptoms:

1) Wild inconsistency from game to game
2) Box score lines that look like this:
1-5,0-1,1-2,0,0,0,0,0,2,2,-14,3
3)Lots of smiling, even  in defeat.  The smiling translates to: I'm getting paid for three more years regardless.
4) Lots of standing around. Wing players tend to stand in the corner, bigs tend to stand in the paint and stare helplessly at the rim.

I don't thing Terry or Lee have been infected.  Terry is just showing his age, and both have been uncomfortable trying to find suitable roles.

I do think there are too many of what Rondo calls "laid back personalities" and I like to refer to as "Edited for profanity.  Please do not do it again." on this team. Ship Bass and Green out of town for a big man who can play 22 decent minutes a night, and the Cs would be a lot better off. 

I'd rather have an undersized Lee take the backup SG minutes and Barbosa playing the remaining minutes behind Rondo than watch Green sleepwalk his way through half his minutes. 

Or just take a scrap heap wing out of the D-league who is hungry and will compete all of the time. I've seen enough of Jeff Green to know that he's never going to be a guy who maximized his prodigious talents.

No Green and Bass, a tough backup big, hard charging Barbosa playing more, Bradley staying healthy, and Doc forcing Rondo to play defense more often and this team will be a lot better.