Author Topic: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors  (Read 23111 times)

Re: Tommy & Gorman Have Right Idea On Kawhi-to-Boston Rumors
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2018, 10:31:16 AM »

Offline ZoneD

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 12
If Leonard s healthy and willing to resign this is a no-brainer. He's easily a top 5-10 player in the league. He'd automatically be our best player and we'd be heavy favorites to win the East and contend for the next 5 years. How do you say no to that?

In professional sports you don't turn down a sure thing (or at least as close to a sure thing as possible). Our current team is constructed to be competitive over the next 3-5 years with Kyrie, Hayward and Horford. After that, Kyrie will be in his prime and paired with Tatum and Brown so we're definitely stacked for the future. However, adding Leonard and subtracting Tatum/Brown would make us much better prepared for the next 3-5. We would be heavy favorites to make the finals for 3-5 years. You can't say no to that!

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2018, 10:36:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
To me Tatum is clearly the best player in his draft class and he's 20, and you have him for cheap money for years. He's basically an untouchable. If I'm gonna trade him it's not for damaged goods, it's for generational talent. Basically the names I need to be hearing on the other end need to be stuff like Anthony Davis or Durant. Not Kawhi. There's a big drop off there.

Once upon a time, Chicago fans and management took the same position with Deng and Hinrich. The Clippers decided Shaun Livingston was untouchable. Sometimes, development doesn’t work out like you’d hope.

Also, I know it’s bladphemy around here, but is Tatum head and shoulders above everyone else in the draft? He’s 6th in rookie scoring, I think. I love his feel for the game, but nothing guarantees that he’ll be an all-star, let alone an All-NBA first-teamer.

Did you seriously just compare Tatum to Deng Hinrich and Livingston? Even comparing the situation to that is just mind blowing. Those are rotation guys and were NEVER EVER EVER even by the mostly insanely passionate NBA fans considered generational talent.

During their rookie season they were projected to become really good .Hinrich was good enough to play for team USA in Beijing.

And although Tatum is excellent i don't know if anyone calls him a generational talent.

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2018, 10:39:28 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kawhi's health & contract are my only hesitations. 

In a vacuum, you make the trade in a heartbeat.  Kawhi is a top 5 player when healthy.  You add him to Kyrie & Hayward and you have yourself one helluva new Big 3 who is probably going to bring you a title depending on the supporting cast left.

But, because of those two question marks, I'd certainly be very hesitant.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2018, 11:52:49 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I am a big fan of Kawhi. He's def top 10 player, but not top 5 in my eyes. There are a bunch of young guys on good deals, and Tatum is one of them. I don't think Tatum will become Jordan, but he does have Carmelo/Pierce potential. I'd hate to give up on that early.

Players I would trade Tatum for without thinking (straight up):

Lebron
KD
Steph
Harden
Westbrook
Davis
Giannis
Embiid

After this, I'm pausing to think for these guys:

Leonard
Towns
Klay
Draymond
Butler
Wall
George
Cousins
Simmons

I don't think I ever would have been this picky about Tatum before this season.

Wait what?? You'd actually *pause & consider* trading Tatum for freakin' Draymond??!?!?!??!!

Draymond?? LOL. If that's who we are trading Tatum for then I give up.

Draymond is an overrated bum who got exposed for who he is without his three buddies. I hate that guy as a person and as a player. Always like to rain on PP34 parade for no reason lol.
TP to the both of you. Hate Draymond

Same. I mean I'd love him if he were on our team lol (similar to Smart I suppose), but man the guy is overrated. Great player but again, I don't see how he's a "Top-15" talent in the NBA like some people say, or even Top-20 IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 12:05:12 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2018, 03:16:12 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
To me Tatum is clearly the best player in his draft class and he's 20, and you have him for cheap money for years. He's basically an untouchable. If I'm gonna trade him it's not for damaged goods, it's for generational talent. Basically the names I need to be hearing on the other end need to be stuff like Anthony Davis or Durant. Not Kawhi. There's a big drop off there.

Once upon a time, Chicago fans and management took the same position with Deng and Hinrich. The Clippers decided Shaun Livingston was untouchable. Sometimes, development doesn’t work out like you’d hope.

Also, I know it’s bladphemy around here, but is Tatum head and shoulders above everyone else in the draft? He’s 6th in rookie scoring, I think. I love his feel for the game, but nothing guarantees that he’ll be an all-star, let alone an All-NBA first-teamer.

Did you seriously just compare Tatum to Deng Hinrich and Livingston? Even comparing the situation to that is just mind blowing. Those are rotation guys and were NEVER EVER EVER even by the mostly insanely passionate NBA fans considered generational talent.

During their rookie season they were projected to become really good .Hinrich was good enough to play for team USA in Beijing.

And although Tatum is excellent i don't know if anyone calls him a generational talent.

Yeah, Chilly kind of proved my point. In hindsight, it’s crazy to think of Deng, Hinrich, and Livingston as untouchable. And yet, they were, by fans and their organizations. 

Tatum isn’t “generational” at this point. He’s a rookie with great poise and a nice stroke who is averaging around 14 ppg. There is a wide, wide chasm between he and Kawhi Leonard right now. The potential seems to be there, but Gerald Green and Big Al had loads of potential, too.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2018, 03:30:27 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
So you would give up Tatum in a trade for Leonard?

Here was the rumor/speculation that I heard:
Celtics get: Leonard. Spurs get: forward Marcus Morris, guard Terry Rozier, forward Jayson Tatum, forward Daniel Theis, 2019 top-eight protected first-round pick (from Boston, via Memphis). So, is that too steep of a price to pay for one of the NBA’s best players? Perhaps, and Leonard is just one year away from free agency. But such a deal would give Boston a starting lineup of Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown and Al Horford. If you ask us, that squad could rival — and even surpass — the Golden State Warriors’ star-studded unit.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/04/should-celtics-offer-this-hypothetical-trade-for-spurs-kawhi-leonard/

4 players and a Memphis protected pick for Leonard?  Would you really do this trade?

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2018, 03:36:57 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

Celtics get: Leonard. Spurs get: forward Marcus Morris, guard Terry Rozier, forward Jayson Tatum, forward Daniel Theis, 2019 top-eight protected first-round pick (from Boston, via Memphis). So, is that too steep of a price to pay for one of the NBA’s best players? Perhaps, and Leonard is just one year away from free agency. But such a deal would give Boston a starting lineup of Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Gordon Hayward, Jaylen Brown and Al Horford. If you ask us, that squad could rival — and even surpass — the Golden State Warriors’ star-studded unit.

Read more at: https://nesn.com/2018/04/should-celtics-offer-this-hypothetical-trade-for-spurs-kawhi-leonard/

4 players and a Memphis protected pick for Leonard?  Would you really do this trade?

He's coming off of an injury, and doesn't seem mentally prepared so we won't know how good he will be again. If he can replicate his 2016 stats and performance again it would be something to think hard about.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Yes.  Absolutely.  Wouldn't give it a second thought.  I mean Boston only gives up 1 of its 3 best assets (Tatum, while keeping Brown and the Sacto pick).  I mean that is an amazing trade for Boston, especially with the Memphis pick being protected.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2018, 03:55:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That trade isn't able to happen. We would need to add more salary. Probably need to send Yabu too.

So

Tatum, Rozier, Morris, Theis and Yabusele plus a pick or picks

For

Kawhi.

No way. Too much.If I could trade just Tatum and picks, I woukd do it but given we would need to shred the roster and rotation to get him, I would pass.

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2018, 04:06:15 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Is the long term health prognosis for Kawhi fine & will he resign with Boston?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2018, 04:11:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Yes.  Absolutely.  Wouldn't give it a second thought.  I mean Boston only gives up 1 of its 3 best assets (Tatum, while keeping Brown and the Sacto pick).  I mean that is an amazing trade for Boston, especially with the Memphis pick being protected.

I agree. Tatum is the only one of those guys likely to be here in two years anyway.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2018, 04:12:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Is the long term health prognosis for Kawhi fine & will he resign with Boston?
That obviously has to be the assumption on this.

« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2018, 04:19:42 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

That trade isn't able to happen. We would need to add more salary. Probably need to send Yabu too.

So

For

Kawhi.

No way. Too much.If I could trade just Tatum and picks, I woukd do it but given we would need to shred the roster and rotation to get him, I would pass.
so you wouldn't want to give up Tatum and the 3rd PG, the 4th swing, the 4th big man, and a guy who spent most of the year in the GLeague for Leonard.  That seems a bit strange to me.

So post-trade, you'd have a starting 5 of Irving, Hayward, Leonard, Horford, Baynes.  The team would have Smart, Brown, and Monroe as the first 3 off the bench.  It would still have its own 2018 1st, Larkin, Semi, Nader, and Bird/Allen, plus whatever free agents could be added for the deeper bench.

I just don't get why all of the deep bench players would somehow be a deal breaker.  I like Tatum, but if Tatum is even 90% the player Leonard is, he would be a huge homerun and the odds of that happening are small.  Leonard also fits the Irving/Hayward/Horford timeline so much better, that the team has to make that trade. 

« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2018, 04:27:27 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

So

For

Kawhi.

so you wouldn't want to give up Tatum and the 3rd PG, the 4th swing, the 4th big man, and a guy who spent most of the year in the GLeague for Leonard.  That seems a bit strange to me.

So post-trade, you'd have a starting 5 of Irving, Hayward, Leonard, Horford, Baynes.  The team would have Smart, Brown, and Monroe as the first 3 off the bench.  It would still have its own 2018 1st, Larkin, Semi, Nader, and Bird/Allen, plus whatever free agents could be added for the deeper bench.

I just don't get why all of the deep bench players would somehow be a deal breaker.  I like Tatum, but if Tatum is even 90% the player Leonard is, he would be a huge homerun and the odds of that happening are small.  Leonard also fits the Irving/Hayward/Horford timeline so much better, that the team has to make that trade.

I’d still start Brown.

Horford
Kawhi
Hayward
Brown
Kyrie

That team is potentially dominant on both ends.

« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2018, 04:45:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

So

For

Kawhi.

Kinda making some large assumptions on returning players, aren't you? You have Baynes, Monroe and Smart all returning. That's a HUGE assumption and pretty hard to do given what the Cs have to offer. It could be that none of the three return and you have Kyrie, Brown, Hayward, Kawhi, Horford and nothing but scrubs. Where's the rebounding? Where is the depth? With Smart, Monroe and Baynes not returning you are actually trading your 6th, 7th, 8th and possibly 11th players in your rotation going out not the 3rd PG, the 4th swing, the 4th big man, and a guy who spent most of the year in the GLeague.