Author Topic: ESPN Article on Ingram  (Read 2657 times)

ESPN Article on Ingram
« on: November 05, 2019, 09:05:13 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Typical Ingram game. The article title, "Ingram silences injury talk with a career-high 40."

Failed to mention that they lost the game. Wake me when he actually performs well and helps his team win a game.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28010221/brandon-ingram-new-orleans-pelicans-silences-injury-talk-career-high-40

Re: ESPN Article on Ingram
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 09:12:46 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Typical Ingram game. The article title, "Ingram silences injury talk with a career-high 40."

Failed to mention that they lost the game. Wake me when he actually performs well and helps his team win a game.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28010221/brandon-ingram-new-orleans-pelicans-silences-injury-talk-career-high-40
To be fair his supporting cast in NOP without Zion is quite underwhelming, and it's not like they've gotten blown out in most of their games. He's a really good young player with a ton of potential.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 09:23:31 AM »

• Paul Silas

To be fair his supporting cast in NOP without Zion is quite underwhelming, and it's not like they've gotten blown out in most of their games. He's a really good young player with a ton of potential.

I agree that he is a good young player with a ton of potential. I still like him. The narrative about him is just funny.

I disagree about the talent around him. Ball, Holliday, Hart, Favors, and Reddick are all legit NBA players who could start in various situations. They are solid. Hayes and Moore can play some minutes too. NAW is a really good young talent as well. This is one of the deepest teams in the NBA.

Also, is Okafor really starting over Favors right now? That's interesting.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2019, 09:53:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

I agree that he is a good young player with a ton of potential. I still like him. The narrative about him is just funny.

I disagree about the talent around him. Ball, Holliday, Hart, Favors, and Reddick are all legit NBA players who could start in various situations. They are solid. Hayes and Moore can play some minutes too. NAW is a really good young talent as well. This is one of the deepest teams in the NBA.

Depth doesn't mean much if there isn't enough top end talent around you,only Ball/Holiday/Redick fit the bill and they're all guards. Also Ingram is more suited to be a player who unlocks the scoring potential of his teammates, so it's an awkward fit for him in NOP since none of the three guards are really viable scorers aside from Reddick, and even then he's not a self creator. If NOP somehow manages to swap one of Ball/Holiday for a skilled big who can shoot and create for himself (in the mould of Vucevic) they'd be a much better team after Zion returns. Ingram just needs pieces that can create for themselves at a decent level to really start lifting a team to wins.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2019, 09:56:05 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Did you watch that game?  Partly the Nets have no defense, but he was quite impressive.  The Pels probably lose by 30 without him last night.  Ball and Holiday both played poorly at both ends.  Ingram kept them in it, but couldn’t overcome the bad guard play. 

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 09:56:07 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

I watched the game last night, and Ingram played awesome.   The lack of interior D really hurt the Pelicans, not Ingrams fault.  Jordan and Allen were outplaying Okafor and Hayes.

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 10:23:45 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Isn't he a restricted free agent at the end of this season?

I'm surprised there was very little chatter about extending him.  Pelicans may regret not doing so.  He is playing his way into a full max contract offer.

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Isn't he a restricted free agent at the end of this season?

I'm surprised there was very little chatter about extending him.  Pelicans may regret not doing so.  He is playing his way into a full max contract offer.

Given the heart issues that kept him out the end of the season, it was going to be trouble coming to an agreement before he’d gotten back onto the court.  The Pels also could have a decent amount of cap space even including Ingram’s cap hold (not max, but in the $10-15 million range), and max cap space if he leaves, so there are a lot of reasons to wait until July.

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2019, 10:56:33 AM »

• Paul Silas

Did you watch that game?  Partly the Nets have no defense, but he was quite impressive.  The Pels probably lose by 30 without him last night.  Ball and Holiday both played poorly at both ends.  Ingram kept them in it, but couldn’t overcome the bad guard play.

In fairness, I confess I did not watch the game.

Still, through 3 seasons, this is a pretty typical narrative with Ingram. Impressive stats. Team loss.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2019, 11:03:40 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Still, through 3 seasons, this is a pretty typical narrative with Ingram. Impressive stats. Team loss.

It was different last night.  Could have just been a single game, of course, but he was getting pretty much anywhere he wanted on the court.  I’d also be surprised if the majority of his baskets weren’t unassisted — it wasn’t that the Nets were losing him on defense, but rather that he was creating.  He looked like a #2 pick last night.

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2019, 11:30:39 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I like Ingram he can do a lot of things on the floor.

His ability to be an isolation scorer is what's going to determine how high he rises up the NBA ranks.

He's already a solid defender, rebounder and passer.

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2019, 11:33:43 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Pelicans cannot stop anyone this season. Especially since Favors went down with his knee injury.

They just don't have enough quality defensive players.

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2019, 11:36:30 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It was different last night.  Could have just been a single game, of course, but he was getting pretty much anywhere he wanted on the court.  I’d also be surprised if the majority of his baskets weren’t unassisted — it wasn’t that the Nets were losing him on defense, but rather that he was creating.  He looked like a #2 pick last night.
Playing him at the 4 with shooting around him, as well as empowering him, has unlocked a lot for him this year.

I don't know if he can hold up defensively at the 4 though. Certainly the entire Pelicans team is a trash fire on that end right now.

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2019, 11:38:50 AM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

He's looked like a completely new player this season. Save the game he left early due to taking a hit on the head, he's looked special. When people talk about young guys making a leap, this is what they mean.

Getting out of LA might be the best thing that could've happened for his career.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2019, 12:12:16 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

He's really growing into a peak "all numbers no impact" guy.

On the Lakers I dismissed him because he put up points but not much else; he couldn't really shoot, wasn't especially efficient, etc.

Now his numbers are all around pretty good, but it's in the context of a team that's losing really badly.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain