Author Topic: Like osmosis  (Read 2355 times)

Like osmosis
« on: January 25, 2020, 06:06:41 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
It seems like new skills are being absorbed by players within Brads permeable system .I'm seeing more players keeping defenders on hip and navigating the paint Walling off has spread from Theis as players see it work for Tatum, I think I saw Tatum or Grant wall someone off.
The kids will benefit from picking up techniques in screening and the all important timing.
Did you see Kanter dive for a loose ball.
Playing defence  with active hands and  moving your feet. Our kids are picking up the joy of beautiful. orchestrated  team defence played on a string  .Along with moving the ball for a better shot and penetrate and kick .Grant Williams has made passing leaps in this area.
These injuries have benefited Javonte, Grant ,Semi and Theis.

Marcus is having fun passing,Theis has elevated his game, Grant is hitting open shots .Kanter getting pocket passes from Smart and if you run the court as a big,the players are looking. Brady passes from Smart and longball from Gordon.
Semi has been experimenting playing through contact taking it to the body of the bigs.
As the permeable system allows the skill levels rise and attention to detail the timing on screens ,timing of cutters ,movement off ball and the applause from crowds that transcend the too much one on one iso ball.

Kemba must be pinching himself with Celtics style of basketball and an empowering coach.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 11:07:18 AM by rollie mass »

Re: Like osmosis
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 07:19:44 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like what some guys are doing on defense.  Javonte, Semi, Grant.  Along with Marcus, the bench seems to be developing a reputation as good defensive unit.

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:36:27 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Like our team, our bench this year is so much better than last years.  People enamored with names, but the guys this year understand their role and are holding their own.

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 10:07:53 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Like our team, our bench this year is so much better than last years.  People enamored with names, but the guys this year understand their role and are holding their own.

Nobody exemplifies this on our team more than Gordon Hayward. He's someone who really has sacrificed, whether it's usage, FGA, minutes...just so other, younger, lesser paid players can shine. He, along with Kemba, is really the example of a selfless player whose approach I hope rubs off on the Jays. You don't have to be The Man every night. If someone else is playing well, help them play better so the team overall plays better.

“I think it’s one of the reason’s why I am a part of this team," Hayward said. "I can do a lot of different things. When asked to do whatever it is, I try to do my best at it. So if that’s scoring on a different night, if that’s facilitating, if that’s playing defense, rebounding, or make winning plays, I try to do the best for us.”

Stevens echoed that sentiment, saying, “whatever we need him to do, he’ll do, whether it’s be a facilitator and be a steady hand around our young talented wings and Kemba or on a night like tonight when a lot of guys aren’t available, be a go-to player for a long stretch. He’s going to do whatever. He’s here to win.”

Walker and Hayward combined for 59 of Boston’s 109 points. When you factor in their 11 combined assists led to 26 Celtics points, they were directly responsible for 85 points.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2020/01/kemba-walker-gordon-hayward-take-turns-carrying-boston-celtics-offense-on-shorthanded-night.html
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2020, 10:51:58 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

No because he wasn't playing last night. I saw Poirier dive for a loose ball but because he has such bad hands he kept fumbling it and looked like a fish out of water trying to juggle a ball and accomplishing nothing.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2020, 11:00:22 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

No because he wasn't playing last night. I saw Poirier dive for a loose ball but because he has such bad hands he kept fumbling it and looked like a fish out of water trying to juggle a ball and accomplishing nothing.
Obviously because he got hurt diving and that was a rare event for Kanter. And he seems to be in better shape and applying himself on defense

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 11:32:12 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

His hands were bad. No doubt. I did think he was better than in previous outings - approaching NBA backup level. He used positioning and verticality to bother shooters without fouling; definitely saw him affect shots in the paint. He wasn’t always in the right place but it was the first time I’d seen him do some useful things in non-garbage time.

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2020, 01:04:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

His hands were bad. No doubt. I did think he was better than in previous outings - approaching NBA backup level. He used positioning and verticality to bother shooters without fouling; definitely saw him affect shots in the paint. He wasn’t always in the right place but it was the first time I’d seen him do some useful things in non-garbage time.
I think you were seeing something you hoped was something but was nothing.

Last night Poirier didn't bother any more or any less shots in the paint as any 7' tall guy that puts his arm up when in the paint. He wasn't affecting any shots because of his defensive capabilities. He was affecting shots because he is 7' tall and had his arm up in the air. Every 7' tall guy in the league can do that.

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 03:17:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
This thread title...

You nailed it Rollie!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 03:28:47 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

I think you were seeing something you hoped was something but was nothing.

Last night Poirier didn't bother any more or any less shots in the paint as any 7' tall guy that puts his arm up when in the paint. He wasn't affecting any shots because of his defensive capabilities. He was affecting shots because he is 7' tall and had his arm up in the air. Every 7' tall guy in the league can do that.

I don’t know. If we are talking about a backup center on a tiny contract, being able to stay in front of a guy and be long and vertical without fouling isn’t nothing. I watched his possessions again; a bunch of guys missed shots because he was standing in the right place in their air space perfectly vertical.

This does not make him a starter! I am only saying it’s the first time I have seen him show an NBA level skill of any kind.