Author Topic: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread  (Read 123774 times)

Re: Sacramento Kings 2018-19 Season Watch Thread
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2018, 03:41:59 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Since the Kings just let McLemore go last summer, I don't think he really is in their plans.

By my math, the Kings could trade McLemore, Labissierre, and Hayes non-guaranteed contract for Melo, a first round pick, and a future 2nd.

The Kings buy out Melo, get a couple of draft assets, and clean up the roster a bit.

The Thunder shed something like 20 million in luxury tax payments, get a rotation two-guard to fill in while Roberson is out, and get a 12th man in Labissierre.

Plus, this takes away the last team with significant space that can offer Smart a contract.

Non guaranteed money doesn't count in trades. Sac would need to send out more salary than that.

Not going to look up SAC’s salaries right now, but they’d be acquiring Melo with cap room, so the non-guaranteed salary aspect doesn’t matter.  That player could be traded or cut — it’s not being used for matching purposes, just to get under the cap enough for Melo.

« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2018, 03:52:08 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Since the Kings just let McLemore go last summer, I don't think he really is in their plans.

By my math, the Kings could trade McLemore, Labissierre, and Hayes non-guaranteed contract for Melo, a first round pick, and a future 2nd.

The Kings buy out Melo, get a couple of draft assets, and clean up the roster a bit.

The Thunder shed something like 20 million in luxury tax payments, get a rotation two-guard to fill in while Roberson is out, and get a 12th man in Labissierre.

Plus, this takes away the last team with significant space that can offer Smart a contract.

Non guaranteed money doesn't count in trades. Sac would need to send out more salary than that.

Not going to look up SAC’s salaries right now, but they’d be acquiring Melo with cap room, so the non-guaranteed salary aspect doesn’t matter.  That player could be traded or cut — it’s not being used for matching purposes, just to get under the cap enough for Melo.

Mkay.

I was hoping no one would notice, but I did figure out immediately after I posted this that the Kings would have to send out a bit more salary, or stretch a player and waive Hayes.

Thanks for being the cap cop, saltlover :)

« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2018, 04:21:38 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I just did the Tankathon and got #2 and #10, Cam Reddish and Bol Bol.

I'll take that, I'm hanging 'em up on Tankathon until the season starts. I think the Kings pick could actually land #2, and Memphis landing at #10 doesn't seem out of the question either.

EDIT - At #28 we got PG Shamorie Ponds from St Johns, who I remember being mentioned on the draft workout thread as a binky by several posters.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 04:33:09 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2018, 04:50:45 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
The only teams I see that will be worse than the Kings are the Hawks and Maybe the Cavs

Atlanta is easy in the bottom 3. I've also got Brooklyn, Orlando, and Dallas as possible competitors for the lucky loser race.

If every team played every other team the same number of times, I would likely have Sacramento at 4 or 5. Given where they are, however, they very well could end up with a 14% shot at #1,2 or 3.

Mike

« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2018, 04:57:38 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The only teams I see that will be worse than the Kings are the Hawks and Maybe the Cavs

Atlanta is easy in the bottom 3. I've also got Brooklyn, Orlando, and Dallas as possible competitors for the lucky loser race.

If every team played every other team the same number of times, I would likely have Sacramento at 4 or 5. Given where they are, however, they very well could end up with a 14% shot at #1,2 or 3.

Mike

I don’t see Dallas tanking again.  The acquisitions of DeAndre Jordan and Doncic really take them up a tier.

« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2018, 05:09:25 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Mike

I don’t see Dallas tanking again.  The acquisitions of DeAndre Jordan and Doncic really take them up a tier.

Oops, you're correct. I forgot about Jordan.

Mike

« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2018, 05:10:11 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Doesn't that move free up another 1 million in cap space for Sacto?  Could the be a pre-cursor to a Marcus Smart offer sheet?  Please no!

Sac could have offered $19.5 million in year 1 already.  Don’t think that extra million will be the one that keeps Ainge from matching.
Thanks for the info.  TP.  Agreed.

« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2018, 06:21:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Mike

Jordan does nothing for wins. His minutes have been declining for years since you can't really play him down the stretch.  He takes nearly 85% of his shots within 3 feet of the basket.  He rebounds well and can block shots, but he just won't yield many wins.  And aside from him and 100 year old Dirk (assuming he is back), the only bigs on their roster are Powell, Kleber, and Mejri.  Barnes and Finney-Smith are the only SF's.  They are fairly deep at the guard spots and Smith and Doncic have talent, but I think people that think Doncic is going to come in and contribute to wins this year are going to be greatly disappointed.  Dallas may not be "tanking", but they are going to be a very bad team. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2018, 06:55:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Mike

Oops, you're correct. I forgot about Jordan.

Mike

Also, for whatever reason, a few people on here really didn't realize how hard Dallas was tanking last year. They have some veteran talent and good coaching. Here is from an article on espn (link crashed)

"The brutally honest and painfully obvious -- not to mention extremely pricey -- way to put it is that the Mavs have at least tinkered with tanking.

Just look at the lineup that Carlisle put on the floor for the final 5:19 of that tight game against the Lakers.

The veterans who kept the Mavs in the game took a seat down the stretch despite Nowitzki, Barnes, Matthews, guard J.J. Barea and center Dwight Powell combining for 85 points on 66 percent shooting from the floor that night. Small forward Doug McDermott, making his Mavs debut after arriving in a trade deadline deal, joined 20-year-old rookie point guard Dennis Smith Jr. and a trio of undrafted players on minimum contracts (Kleber, guard Yogi Ferrell and center Salah Mejri).

That foursome played a total of 12 minutes together in the first three and a half months but has recently become the Mavs' closing lineup of choice. It's a group that had blown a 10-point lead in the final 4:42 of a loss to the LA Clippers a couple of games earlier and was minus-38 in 24 February minutes before managing to close out the Lakers.

"Hopefully the new draft lottery rules will change the approach to player development," Cuban wrote in a recent email reply to ESPN, although he expressed his doubts on the issue after abstaining from the vote in October."

Dallas was up among the hardest tankers in all of the league last year. No way to spin it any other way. They would win 5-7 more games easily just from not doing those hardcore shenanigans.

« Reply #159 on: July 18, 2018, 10:39:04 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Mike

Jordan does nothing for wins. His minutes have been declining for years since you can't really play him down the stretch.  He takes nearly 85% of his shots within 3 feet of the basket.  He rebounds well and can block shots, but he just won't yield many wins. And aside from him and 100 year old Dirk (assuming he is back), the only bigs on their roster are Powell, Kleber, and Mejri.  Barnes and Finney-Smith are the only SF's.  They are fairly deep at the guard spots and Smith and Doncic have talent, but I think people that think Doncic is going to come in and contribute to wins this year are going to be greatly disappointed.  Dallas may not be "tanking", but they are going to be a very bad team.
The Mavs are a better team with Jordan than without, therefore = more wins.

« Reply #160 on: July 18, 2018, 12:08:01 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Mike

Jordan does nothing for wins. His minutes have been declining for years since you can't really play him down the stretch.  He takes nearly 85% of his shots within 3 feet of the basket.  He rebounds well and can block shots, but he just won't yield many wins.  And aside from him and 100 year old Dirk (assuming he is back), the only bigs on their roster are Powell, Kleber, and Mejri.  Barnes and Finney-Smith are the only SF's.  They are fairly deep at the guard spots and Smith and Doncic have talent, but I think people that think Doncic is going to come in and contribute to wins this year are going to be greatly disappointed. Dallas may not be "tanking", but they are going to be a very bad team.

Not tanking but very bad is rather vague. In what range do you expect their W-L?

« Reply #161 on: July 18, 2018, 01:14:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Mike

Jordan does nothing for wins. His minutes have been declining for years since you can't really play him down the stretch.  He takes nearly 85% of his shots within 3 feet of the basket.  He rebounds well and can block shots, but he just won't yield many wins.  And aside from him and 100 year old Dirk (assuming he is back), the only bigs on their roster are Powell, Kleber, and Mejri.  Barnes and Finney-Smith are the only SF's.  They are fairly deep at the guard spots and Smith and Doncic have talent, but I think people that think Doncic is going to come in and contribute to wins this year are going to be greatly disappointed. Dallas may not be "tanking", but they are going to be a very bad team.

Not tanking but very bad is rather vague. In what range do you expect their W-L?
I think they will end up right around their win total from last year in the 20-25 win range.  I just don't think they are well put together and really do think much of their tanking was overblown with quite simply bad roster management and construction.  I know their are stories out there like the one clay posted, but I watched them enough the last couple of years to see they just aren't a very good team and signing Deandre Jordan isn't going to make them a very good team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #162 on: July 18, 2018, 01:18:26 PM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87

Mike

I think they will end up right around their win total from last year in the 20-25 win range.  I just don't think they are well put together and really do think much of their tanking was overblown with quite simply bad roster management and construction.  I know their are stories out there like the one clay posted, but I watched them enough the last couple of years to see they just aren't a very good team and signing Deandre Jordan isn't going to make them a very good team.
I don't think that's the point. I think the point is that they'll easily have a better record than the Kings and aren't a contender for being a bottom feeder again this year.

« Reply #163 on: July 18, 2018, 01:55:30 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

Mike

I don't think that's the point. I think the point is that they'll easily have a better record than the Kings and aren't a contender for being a bottom feeder again this year.

I'm with you on this one, but if you look just one mssg above, Moranis makes the case for Sacramento winning 20-25 games next season. If this is the case they would definitely contend for a bottom feeder.

« Reply #164 on: July 18, 2018, 01:58:00 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Jordan and doncic alone are both better than anyone on the kings. That says a lot about how bad the kings are