Author Topic: Worst Idea Ever: NBA Hall of Fame to consider fan votes?  (Read 3784 times)

Re: Worst Idea Ever: NBA Hall of Fame to consider fan votes?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2010, 11:33:24 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Also, the NFL HOF has been doing this for a few years and I haven't seen any egregious selections come out of it.  This is more about a feeling of input than actual input.

The NFL fan votes don't count in any way.  Rather, they put up a website and ask fans to vote, and they track the results.  That's as far as it goes; the official selection process still comes down to the votes of their 44 member selection committee, which doesn't have a fan representative.

Huh, I thought the fan votes counted in some small way...maybe I'm confusing it with Heisman voting.

Who - I agree, a lot will depend on how Orlando does while Carter's there.  And I wouldn't vote him in regardless.  But the Basketball HOF has notoriously low standards, especially for flashy popular players with big scoring numbers.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2010, 11:45:50 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1633
  • What a Pub Should Be

Also, the NFL HOF has been doing this for a few years and I haven't seen any egregious selections come out of it.  This is more about a feeling of input than actual input.

The NFL fan votes don't count in any way.  Rather, they put up a website and ask fans to vote, and they track the results.  That's as far as it goes; the official selection process still comes down to the votes of their 44 member selection committee, which doesn't have a fan representative.

Huh, I thought the fan votes counted in some small way...maybe I'm confusing it with Heisman voting.

Who - I agree, a lot will depend on how Orlando does while Carter's there.  And I wouldn't vote him in regardless.  But the Basketball HOF has notoriously low standards, especially for flashy popular players with big scoring numbers.

In football, I think the fans are involved in some sort with the nomination process but the actual voting is done by the Hall of Fame committee.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2010, 11:57:57 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
That Iverson would get in will make an absolute mockery of the hall of fame with or without fan votes.

Shouldn't be about numbers.  Should be about all of the teams that strangely become better when he leaves.  Like the whining messiah so eloquently and arrogantly told us about scoring titles....

But "fans" voted him to another mockery...the all star game.  So nothing comes as a surprise anymore.

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2010, 01:09:44 PM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
That Iverson would get in will make an absolute mockery of the hall of fame with or without fan votes.

Shouldn't be about numbers.  Should be about all of the teams that strangely become better when he leaves.  Like the whining messiah so eloquently and arrogantly told us about scoring titles....

But "fans" voted him to another mockery...the all star game.  So nothing comes as a surprise anymore.

It's ridiculous to think that Iverson will not or does not deserve to be a 1st ballot hall of famer. He was pretty ridiculous in his prime no matter how you slice it.

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 01:38:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The basketball Hall of Fame is close to announcing a major change to the election process.

Hall of Fame chairman Jerry Colangelo is pushing forward with his pledge to increase transparency and fan interest.

For the first time, vote totals are expected to be released when the Class of 2010 is revealed next Monday in Indianapolis.

The class is expected to be headlined by Karl Malone and Scottie Pippen.

Fan involvement may begin as soon as next season with the groundbreaking move to include public balloting.

I think increased transparency is a good idea.  I think involving fans in the process is a terrible one.  I mean, this year the fans elected Allen Iverson to start, and almost Tracy McGrady.  Why on earth do we want them voting on Hall of Famers?

I mean, do we honestly think that the fans would have the nuance to vote for a guy like Dennis Johnson, who had underwhelming stats but was a great defender and team player?  Rather, I've got to think that fan votes will go to the Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter types. 
Uh oh... Gerald Green and Antoine Walker in the Hall. It could happen CBers and YOU could make it happen!!!!!

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2010, 07:44:26 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Terrible, terrible idea. If this happens, the Hall of Fame will lose all its credibility and its reputation. Let's hope this never happens...

I mean, when you see that Kobe got elected "player of the decade" by the fans and that Duncan received only 10% of the votes (far behind Kobe, Shaq and... LeBron), you can be scared of such an idea concerning the HOF.