Author Topic: Sportscenter in Boston for Title Town series  (Read 7209 times)

Re: Sportscenter in Boston for Title Town series
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 09:42:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I saw the LA episode and they included UCLA and USC as both being part of LA.  If you add both of them in with the professional sports teams of LA, I think it may put them over the top.  Not that I like LA leading in anything.

I think if you add college teams, you have to confine it to sports people actually care about.  I mean, if UCLA wins the men's college mixed double tennis championship, should that trump a professional championship won in another city?

USC has 7 football titles, 2 women's basketball titles, and 12 NCAA baseball titles. 

UCLA has 11 basketball titles.

THe other 92 titles UCLA has in volleyball, golf, tennis, water polo, etc. don't impress me all that much.  Again, they're a great accomplishment, but nobody identifies Los Angeles by how UCLA golf does.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2008, 09:47:20 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I saw the LA episode and they included UCLA and USC as both being part of LA.  If you add both of them in with the professional sports teams of LA, I think it may put them over the top.  Not that I like LA leading in anything.

I think if you add college teams, you have to confine it to sports people actually care about.  I mean, if UCLA wins the men's college mixed double tennis championship, should that trump a professional championship won in another city?

USC has 7 football titles, 2 women's basketball titles, and 12 NCAA baseball titles. 

THe other 92 titles UCLA has in volleyball, golf, tennis, water polo, etc. don't impress me all that much.  Again, they're a great accomplishment, but nobody identifies Los Angeles by how UCLA golf does.

As an avid golfer I am offended Roy!  I agree though, the only NCAA titles that should be counted are basketball, football, and hockey in my opinion.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2008, 09:48:16 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
It's funny how the Patriots are included in the discussion as they don't actually play in Boston.  In the 10 years they did play in Boston from 1960 to 1970 they weren't that good. ;D

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 09:51:11 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
It's funny how the Patriots are included in the discussion as they don't actually play in Boston.  In the 10 years they did play in Boston from 1960 to 1970 they weren't that good. ;D

True.  At least they play in the same state, though, unlike the Giants and Jets, who play in NJ. ;)

(Of course, East Rutherford is much closer to NYC than Foxboro is to Boston.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2008, 09:54:24 PM »

Offline spelz

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 13

As an avid golfer I am offended Roy!  I agree though, the only NCAA titles that should be counted are basketball, football, and hockey in my opinion.

I would add baseball to that list, but hey, I live in Omaha and have attended the College World Series for years.  Great event!

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2008, 09:57:30 PM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500
The candidates:

July 4 Green Bay, Wis.
July 5 Lawrence, Kan.
July 6 Pittsburgh
July 7 Knoxville, Tenn.
July 8 Chapel Hill, N.C.
July 9 Los Angeles
July 10 Palo Alto, Calif.
July 11 Louisville, Ky.
July 12 Chicago
July 13 Boston
July 14 Gainesville, Fla.
July 15 New York
July 16 Valdosta, Ga.
July 17 Detroit
July 18 San Francisco
July 19 Williamsport, Pa.
July 20 Ann Arbor, Mich.
July 21 Columbus, Ohio
July 22 Parkersburg, W.V.
July 23 Massillon, Ohio

Yeah, Boston is "Title Town", at least this decade.

If you're going overall, it's New York.  There aren't really any other serious candidates.

I don't agree Roy, Boston is a serious candidate.

But, let's stick with the Boston Arguement:
MLB: NY 34, Philadelphia 6, Detroit 4, Chicago 5, Boston 8
NBA: NY 2, Philadelphia 3, Detroit 3, Chicago 6, Boston 17
NHL: NY 4, Philadelphia 2, Detroit 11, Chicago 3, Boston 5
NFL: NY 4, Philadelphia 0, Detroit 0, Chicago 1, Boston 3

Totals: NY 44, Philadelphia 11, Detroit 18, Chicago 15, Boston 33.

But, if we are basing it on titles only, you better throw Montreal into that category and Manchester England.  Montreal has 24 NHL championships and 7 CFL chamionships for a total of 31.  Manchester England (Manchester United alone) have 50 various soccer championships.  This doesn't include the other Manchester teams, Rugby, or Cricket championships.

I wonder what ESPN is using for it's final decision.....

It's called Title Town USA. Emphasis on the letters U.S.A.

Montreal is in Canada, and Manchester England is obviously in England.

Listen guys, we can all beat around the bush here, but its pretty [dang] obvious to me that Boston is Title Town USA... I mean, come on.. Are we really even having this discussion? 6 Titles in the last 8 years or something ridiculous like that.. No "town" will ever go on a run like this one. We are Title Town USA and if for some ridiculous unexplainable reason we arent, then this entire Title Town trek across the USA was a big waste of time.

Also, another poster already said this but I mean come on.. How Big is NY and LA in comparison to Boston?? They have much more teams than we do... and we still have dominated them as of late. That has to be taken into consideration. L.A. isnt title town simply because half the people who live there arent even from there and dont really even care about sports as much as they care about being seen at the sporting event, such as the most recent example with the Lakers.

Sure, the Giants somehow beat the Patriots in the Super Bowl, aside from that, NY has a been a pretty big letdown to all the sports fans.
The Knicks are terrible, the Jets are pretty [dang] bad, The Rangers and Islanders are mediocre, the Giants are relatively bad, although yes they did win. I dont think I'm alone in saying I dont think they will repeat.

The Celtics Red Sox and Patriots still have a chance to win in their respective leagues next year too. I mean, it really is one championship after another.

I wont even get into the college hockey championships to add on. Then you have other sporting events such as the Beanpot, and oh the biggest marathon in the USA, the Boston Marathon, is held here.

This town lives and breathes sports. L.A. is still L.A. without its sports, N.Y. is still N.Y. without its sports except for the Yankees (but again, they havent won this century). Boston is NOT Boston, without sports. Period.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2008, 10:05:56 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics

I would add baseball to that list, but hey, I live in Omaha and have attended the College World Series for years.  Great event!

Yeah my freshman year roommate was on the baseball team and I'm friends with a lot of our team.  The World Series this year was a phenomenal story.  I still struggle to add it to the list though.  I can't remember the last time I watched more than one inning of a regular season NCAA baseball game.  I'm sure a lot of people are the same way.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."