Author Topic: Gerald Green's brother...  (Read 9605 times)

Re: Gerald Green's brother...
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2008, 02:38:39 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
So Mr. Potential has a brother?

Hmmm....Bro Potential.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2008, 02:42:18 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Man, He's gonna be a better player? Like on the And 1 tour? You gotta be able to at least make half an effort to rotate on defense!

As opposed to which one Gerald's Celtic teammates during his Celtic career?
You sorta have to have a coaching staff who gives a rat's rear end about defense.  Gerald didn't have that his first 2 pro years.  Gerald wasn't nearly the embarassment that Rivers and his staff was during Gerald's stay in Boston.

We still have Gerald apologists on Celticsblog?

Too bad we can't get a list of a poster's posts from 6 months ago. It would be fun digging up the brain-dead rants of the "we can't win with Doc" crowd.

Who needs 6 months?  I'm sure you can go back to any time before June 17, 2008 and get some good quotes about how the team can't win with Doc as the coach.

« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 02:49:33 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
1) Keep it civil.  Do not attack other posters

2) This isn't a Doc Rivers thread

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 02:58:45 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
I was just browsing on a recruiting site and found this...maybe we can draft him too  ::)

http://76.74.252.140/maxxathletePro/maxxprofiles

Garlon Green

Doesn't that sound like a character from "Con Air"?

« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 03:54:10 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
Man, He's gonna be a better player? Like on the And 1 tour? You gotta be able to at least make half an effort to rotate on defense!

You sorta have to have a coaching staff who gives a rat's rear end about defense.  Gerald didn't have that his first 2 pro years.  Gerald wasn't nearly the embarassment that Rivers and his staff was during Gerald's stay in Boston.

"The Celtics will never win a Championship with Rivers as their coach"  was the quote I believe.  You can coach and teach players what to do all day long, but you can't physically make them do it.  Blaming Gerald's inadequacies on D on the C's coaching staff is laughable, but haven't we been through all this?  There should be a moratorium on Doc hating at least until training camp opens and the pursuit of #18 begins.  Any criticism now rings very hollow.

It's very brain-dead and hollow criticism, I know. For three years I watched a professional coach run a junk gimmick defense, which by design, has all 5 defensive players on the floor scrambling out of position, as his main defense with both an experienced NBA team and a clueless team of youngsters.....And somehow Rivers expected to succeed at it at some point?  The only players who had any degree of success under Rivers were players who had some coaching before they got there...Or Perk and Jefferson, who had Clifford Ray.  Gerald had who?  Rivers? Tony Brown?   Teaching him what?  How to lose? 

Had they (A)Not disgraced themselves by mailing in the 2006-2007 season and (B) Given any of the young players under 6-10 any kind of direction, the team wouldn't have had to have been literally gutted to accomplish what they did.

It would have been real interesting to see how Gerald and the youngsters would have performed under Coach Thibodeau.  At least they would have had some direction and maybe even a real NBA defense to learn. 

We won't see Gerald's brother or any other project come on board.  Gerald and his brother deserve better than Rivers as a coach.  That experiment failed miserably.  You have to have a teacher to coach projects.  Not somebody who preaches one thing to the press and practices another on the court....And comes up with some retarded theme word when he finally has 14 players on his roster who already know the game....At least he was smart enough to get out of the way and let Thibodeau coach the defense.  Rivers deserves credit for that.

« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2008, 04:18:45 PM »

Offline CelticBalla32

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 303
  • Anything is possible
Wow, this kid has the same look, swagger (for whatever reason), talking style, and shooting form as Gerald.

Amazing.
Check out my blog, Chapsketblog - http://chapsketblog.wordpress.com/

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2008, 04:32:32 PM »

Offline BCelts

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 13

"The Celtics will never win a Championship with Rivers as their coach"  was the quote I believe.  You can coach and teach players what to do all day long, but you can't physically make them do it.  Blaming Gerald's inadequacies on D on the C's coaching staff is laughable, but haven't we been through all this?  There should be a moratorium on Doc hating at least until training camp opens and the pursuit of #18 begins.  Any criticism now rings very hollow.

It's very brain-dead and hollow criticism, I know. For three years I watched a professional coach run a junk gimmick defense, which by design, has all 5 defensive players on the floor scrambling out of position, as his main defense with both an experienced NBA team and a clueless team of youngsters.....And somehow Rivers expected to succeed at it at some point?  The only players who had any degree of success under Rivers were players who had some coaching before they got there...Or Perk and Jefferson, who had Clifford Ray.  Gerald had who?  Rivers? Tony Brown?   Teaching him what?  How to lose? 

Had they (A)Not disgraced themselves by mailing in the 2006-2007 season and (B) Given any of the young players under 6-10 any kind of direction, the team wouldn't have had to have been literally gutted to accomplish what they did.

It would have been real interesting to see how Gerald and the youngsters would have performed under Coach Thibodeau.  At least they would have had some direction and maybe even a real NBA defense to learn. 

We won't see Gerald's brother or any other project come on board.  Gerald and his brother deserve better than Rivers as a coach.  That experiment failed miserably.  You have to have a teacher to coach projects.  Not somebody who preaches one thing to the press and practices another on the court....And comes up with some retarded theme word when he finally has 14 players on his roster who already know the game....At least he was smart enough to get out of the way and let Thibodeau coach the defense.  Rivers deserves credit for that.

I have not heard the perspective before that Green failed because of Rivers, rather than his own failings.  Interesting.  If that were true, shouldn't Green have met with at least some modicum of sucess in Minn?  Minn chose to let him walk after the coaching staff reportedly decided that he was unable or unwilling to learn offensive and defensive NBA sets.  I guess teh counterpoint is that were the Celtics coaching staff properly paying attention to Green, they would have "got to him sooner."  I'm not buying.  Minn. letting Green walk proves to me that, at least in large part, the kid was unable to learn the pro game.

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2008, 07:43:10 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!

BTW I own this pick, cool isnt it?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!