Author Topic: Basketball shoe recommendation  (Read 15782 times)

Basketball shoe recommendation
« on: July 08, 2008, 07:29:56 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Hey everyone, I got my basketball season coming up in about a week and I need new shoes! It'd would be great if those of you who know a bit bout the topic could give me some recommendations!

Here are my needs:
- Good Ankle support
- Lightweight (would be ideal)
- Not alot of thickness in the sole (My feet cramp up easy :()

Don't hate me, but as much I dislike Kobe, his Zoom III's are sorta what I'm leaning towards at the present.

Thanks heaps in advance.

Re: Basketball shoe recommendation
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »

Offline kw10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 49
  • KG is da Man
I am no expert or even know much about shoes, but I think if I were to get new basketball shoes, the next pair I would aim for are And1s (similarly I look for light weight, good ankle support as well as good grip rather than 'not alot of thicknessin the sole'-which I'm not sure about).

Also you can have a look at some Wade's (I never had them but my mate has a 2-3 pairs and obviously likes them)- and he also looks for similar style I think.
Anything is possible!!!

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 08:04:22 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
yeah i just got Zoom Kobe III and it takes time to get used to them...
i really didn't have the time to test them on the floor(i won't wear them outside) cause it's summer and the season is over, but i think they'll do just fine
my last shoes were air force 25 and they were really good and lasting.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 08:34:04 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166

Also you can have a look at some Wade's (I never had them but my mate has a 2-3 pairs and obviously likes them)- and he also looks for similar style I think.

Yer my friend has also got a pair, he reccomended them. They are pretty cheap atm aswell which is a plus!

yeah i just got Zoom Kobe III and it takes time to get used to them...i really didn't have the time to test them on the floor(i won't wear them outside) cause it's summer and the season is over, but i think they'll do just fine

when you say get used to them, do you mean wearing them in?

Also on the topic, does anyone know what the difference is between the Zoom Kobe III's and the Zoom Kobe III SL?

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 08:38:46 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
According to your description, I would recommend you these:

Nike Zoom BB
Nike Zoom BB II

Personally, I prefer a slightly different kind of shoes. I usually play in following:

Adidas Team Mac 3 (black/yellow)
Air Jordan 5 (black/black/red)
Adidas KobeTwo (white/yellow - All-Star 2002 Edition)

But my best shoe, which would exactly fit your description, is:

Nike Zoom Flight Turbine (pictured in black/yellow, I have the yellow parts in black and the black parts in red)

You might find one of these on eBay.

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 09:08:16 AM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
Hey everyone, I got my basketball season coming up in about a week and I need new shoes! It'd would be great if those of you who know a bit bout the topic could give me some recommendations!

Here are my needs:
- Good Ankle support
- Lightweight (would be ideal)
- Not alot of thickness in the sole (My feet cramp up easy :()

Don't hate me, but as much I dislike Kobe, his Zoom III's are sorta what I'm leaning towards at the present.

Thanks heaps in advance.

It seems we look for the same qualities in bball shoes, I as well cramp up easy. I ball in the Huaraches. Light and the inner sock provides great support.

http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?oldRequestedURI=%2fstore%2fresults%2fsearch.jsp&Ne=5+3000540+3000559+3000571+2&resetResult=true&productId=prod626698&N=4294966771&categoryId=catNike
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 10:39:17 AM »

Offline RonJohn

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 7
The cramping could becoming from Nike's too narrow last design. I have moved away from Nikes in the last few years and gone with New Balance. They have a wider shoe and I haven't gotten a cramp since.

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 10:45:18 AM »

Offline BigDanz2000

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 33
If you are looking to improve your game dramatically I would look into buying some very nice LA Gear Catapults endorsed by Karl Malone.  These shoes will give you an extra 2 inch vertical to jump over the competition!. 

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41
Can anyone recommend me some good OUTDOOR ballin' shoes? I have a pair of Nikes that I wear for inside play only. I need something that is durable.

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 11:16:03 AM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
I have two really bad ankles, I got a grade 3 ( the worst type .. ) sprain on both my right and left ankles and had to sit out two weeks of soccer season and two weeks of baseball season .. luckily i was 'healthy' enough to play basketball .. i got these injuries 2 years ago but i still wont play anything without using ankle braces, with that being said 2 years ago i wore jordan laneys and i loved them and the ankle braces fit under them perfectlty .. there somewhat hightops, at least compared to other basketball shoes .. this past year i got the lebrons ( idk the type, they were just white ad gold lebrons ) and i hated them .. i couldnt tell you why i just didnt like them they didnt feel right and the ankle braces where hard to get on under them, i went back to the jordans 1/2 through the season.

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:18:26 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Adidas bounce is a good shoe. Plus, it's close to what KG wears.

Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
Can anyone recommend me some good OUTDOOR ballin' shoes? I have a pair of Nikes that I wear for inside play only. I need something that is durable.

Try PF Flyers. You'll run faster and jump higher.

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I only wear New Balance... ah wide feet
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
If you are looking to improve your game dramatically I would look into buying some very nice LA Gear Catapults endorsed by Karl Malone.  These shoes will give you an extra 2 inch vertical to jump over the competition!. 

Good call on the LA Gear. Those bad boys are sweet. Look into the British Knights as well. I believe they give you 3-4 inches on your vert.

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2008, 03:59:38 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
According to your description, I would recommend you these:

Nike Zoom BB
Nike Zoom BB II

Personally, I prefer a slightly different kind of shoes. I usually play in following:

Adidas Team Mac 3 (black/yellow)
Air Jordan 5 (black/black/red)
Adidas KobeTwo (white/yellow - All-Star 2002 Edition)

But my best shoe, which would exactly fit your description, is:

Nike Zoom Flight Turbine (pictured in black/yellow, I have the yellow parts in black and the black parts in red)

You might find one of these on eBay.
ah man i had like 3-4 pairs of those... they were simply AMAZING, and i would buy them in a heartbeat if i saw them.
and those kobe all-star shoes are one of the best looking shoes ever i would come close to killing someone for them.

Yer my friend has also got a pair, he reccomended them. They are pretty cheap atm aswell which is a plus!

yeah i just got Zoom Kobe III and it takes time to get used to them...i really didn't have the time to test them on the floor(i won't wear them outside) cause it's summer and the season is over, but i think they'll do just fine

when you say get used to them, do you mean wearing them in?

Also on the topic, does anyone know what the difference is between the Zoom Kobe III's and the Zoom Kobe III SL?
well they are very different from other shoes i had, don't get me wrong, they are very comfortable and everything but it will take you 10-15 hours to get used to them
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger