Author Topic: SI Latest Mock draft  (Read 9392 times)

Re: SI Latest Mock draft
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2019, 08:38:26 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Yuck..i be disappointed with this draft if that happens

here come Young , Yabu and 3J.    2.0.  and 3.0. and 4.0 .....
or tony allen, jefferson, and rondo....
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2019, 08:51:45 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
to follow up on earlier discussions on possible centeresque players, i agree that the players above are "old school" meaning their main offensive value comes from camping around the rim.

the two tall players i would not mind seeing drafted with 20 or 22 include:

Luka Šamanić, quite athletic and shoots well from mid-range and 3 point as well. thin right now, but looked good on highlight reels. 6'11" (6'10.5" wingspan)

http://www.tankathon.com/players/luka-samanic
https://www.nbadraft.net/players/luka-samanic

and Mfiondu Kabengele. again, very athletic and fast for a big player, 6'10.25" (7'3" wingspan). i think he will do well in the nba and is my draft binky along with thybulle.

http://www.tankathon.com/players/mfiondu-kabengele

the video begins with big-school coaches who played against him, speaking about him. nice.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 08:55:15 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
What a bad mock.

Bitadze look like a less athletic and smaller Enes Kanter.

There are many player I take above him that they have coming after.

Terrible, makes no sense. Brad's system doesnt like traditional back to the basket, slow plodding centers, why would we draft one.

NAW
Samanic
Thybulle or Okpala
I mean... Bitadze is 2cm taller than Kanter while only being 4lbs lighter and he's a kid still. Plus vertically he is definitely more athletic than Kanter and moves his feet faster. Not sure what you're seeing. Bitadze is actually a solid defender.

We can likely end up with both NAW and Bitadze, which would be a good result for me
I agree.  Looks like a better Kanter.  Definitely not slow and plodding.  Good in PnR.   Finishes with both hands and plays through contact.  Will shoot 3s.  Solid rim protector.  He'd be a good pick at 20 and probably at 14 too.
Absolutely. He's hardly a plodder-people who take one look at his body and some highlights of his offensive game can't grasp that he's actually a very solid defender in the post and on the perimeter. Also has range on his jumpshot, so if he doesn't play under Brad I would have major questions regarding his system, as there aren't a lot of sharpshooting big men who can defend at a high level.

If Bitaze doesn’t be some what of a stud I’d be stunned. I’m testing my scouting skills on him
Agree, I'm projecting him to be a Nurkic type with a jumpshot.

Let's assume that Bitadze is on par as a talent with Nurkic and Vucevic. I've combined both their first 3 years in the league as a projection how Bitadze could perform.

That would lead to averaging (over the first 3 years):

57 games / 24 MPG / 10,0 PPG / 8,2 REB / 1,4 ASS / 1,6 TO / 0,8 ST / 1,0 BL and 50%(2P) / 64%(FT)

But that's a player that doesn't shoot 3's, isn't really capable of switching on defense, not a superb passer (yet) and only a decent rim protector. How many minutes will such a player get in Stevens' system?
To answer your last question, which is the most important one imo, is that we don't know how smallballsBrad adjusts. In theory he should get starter minutes with his skillset, he can actually shoot pretty well and could probably develop a three point shot. As for his passing, he's already a very good passer, and is capable of switching on defense. Just because he's big and white doesn't mean he's a plodder lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 08:57:47 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
to follow up on earlier discussions on possible centeresque players, i agree that the players above are "old school" meaning their main offensive value comes from camping around the rim.

Luka Šamanić, quite athletic and shoots well from mid-range and 3 point as well. thin right now, but looked good on highlight reels. 6'11" (6'10.5" wingspan)

and Mfiondu Kabengele. again, very athletic and fast for a big player, 6'10.25" (7'3" wingspan). i think he will do well in the nba and is my draft binky along with thybulle.

the video begins with big-school coaches who played against him, speaking about him. nice.
I really like Samanic, hope he does fall to #20 or #22. As for Kabengele, I think some NBA teams might be in love with his skillset and may pick him in the teens. I like him even though he's undersized for a C, he plays with a high motor and is very athletic.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2019, 09:09:09 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144

I think Samanic will be a very good get.

I am seeing a more athletic better defender mirotic in him.

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2019, 09:23:36 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I really like Samanic, hope he does fall to #20 or #22. As for Kabengele, I think some NBA teams might be in love with his skillset and may pick him in the teens. I like him even though he's undersized for a C, he plays with a high motor and is very athletic.
That's funny because nbadraft.net lists among his weaknesses.
Motor is questionable, can come and go, even during the same game ... Has stretches where he just disappears from the game... Can easily lose concentration... He gives the impression that leaves something to be desired because of his incosistency.  ... Good, but not an elite athlete ...
Also don't like this especially if you are trying to project him as a C. 
Has problems against physical defenders and he even had problems at the junior level against less physical opponents ... He settles for bad shoots when he has to go against physical defenders...

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2019, 11:34:09 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think this draft plays out like this:

Zion
Morant
Barrett

Then there is a group from 4-16 that has very similar talent level. C's are lucky to have at least one pick here.

Then from 17- 35 or 40 there is another group with a similar talent level. C's have two picks here.

Then after 35 or 40 to the end of the draft, you can put just about anyone here and your guess would be as good as anyone else. I don't think most of these players ever make a roster, nevermind ever become anything. So don't expect the Celtics at 51 taking anyone that makes this club. Expect a pick like Kadeem Allen or Ben Bentil, guys who will be around as possible 2 way players or just Summer League and preseason bodies.

I am really not high on anyone in this class outside the top three. Actually I am very down on the entire class. Just do not see many starter level players in this class. Tons of off the bench role players, but extremely few starter types.

I would trade off the lower picks and only select at 14, if 14 isn't also traded for AD. At 14, I have no problem with high risk, high reward Bol Bol. I think his possible ceiling is much higher than just about anyone else available at that point. Unfortunately, he also has high bust potential.

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

That's funny because nbadraft.net lists among his weaknesses.
Motor is questionable, can come and go, even during the same game ... Has stretches where he just disappears from the game... Can easily lose concentration... He gives the impression that leaves something to be desired because of his incosistency.  ... Good, but not an elite athlete ...
Also don't like this especially if you are trying to project him as a C. 
Has problems against physical defenders and he even had problems at the junior level against less physical opponents ... He settles for bad shoots when he has to go against physical defenders...
I haven't read up on his scouting reports, I just watched a game of him playing (he looked pretty intense in limited minutes, guess I didn't notice him napping or stuff lol) so welp count me wrong on this lol. And he's definitely not going to be playing PF unless he gains forward skills, which is relatively unlikely. Nevertheless I still like Bitadze a lot, watched multiple clips of him (eg: https://youtu.be/Xp0oak1MlDU) and spent the time to pore over reports on him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2019, 11:42:44 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Zion
Morant
Barrett

Then there is a group from 4-16 that has very similar talent level. C's are lucky to have at least one pick here.

Then from 17- 35 or 40 there is another group with a similar talent level. C's have two picks here.

Then after 35 or 40 to the end of the draft, you can put just about anyone here and your guess would be as good as anyone else. I don't think most of these players ever make a roster, nevermind ever become anything. So don't expect the Celtics at 51 taking anyone that makes this club. Expect a pick like Kadeem Allen or Ben Bentil, guys who will be around as possible 2 way players or just Summer League and preseason bodies.

I am really not high on anyone in this class outside the top three. Actually I am very down on the entire class. Just do not see many starter level players in this class. Tons of off the bench role players, but extremely few starter types.

I would trade off the lower picks and only select at 14, if 14 isn't also traded for AD. At 14, I have no problem with high risk, high reward Bol Bol. I think his possible ceiling is much higher than just about anyone else available at that point. Unfortunately, he also has high bust potential.

I think there's a second tier here that has a higher likelihood of being a quality player than the players that follow:

Hunter
Culver
Garland

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Zion
Morant
Barrett

I can definitely get being down on the class (I myself am not, but that's just me). I think it's going to end up being quite similar to the 2013 draft. Zion = Giannis-type potential, Morant = Oladipo-type potential and Barrett = McCollum-type potential. I think then there'll be some mid-late pick who ends up as a really good player like Gobert, and a whole bunch of good-not-great role players, like Hardaway Jr., Otto Porter, Adams, Olynyk, Zeller, Len, Schroder, Roberson and etc.

I think there are guys with higher potential in this one though. For instance, I think Nassir Little has the potential to be like an Iguodala type. I think Alexander-Walker could be like a Steve Smith. All depends where they go
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Zion
Morant
Barrett

I completely concur with this whole take.

I do think there are several guys who will probably be decent role players and have long careers off NBA benches.   

Most drafts typically have that surprise guy taken late in the 1st or even in the 2nd who becomes a strong starter, a Jokic or Draymond surprise.   This draft will have that too.   The hard part is knowing who that will be.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2019, 12:06:55 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Zion
Morant
Barrett

I do think there are several guys who will probably be decent role players and have long careers off NBA benches.   

Most drafts typically have that surprise guy taken late in the 1st or even in the 2nd who becomes a strong starter, a Jokic or Draymond surprise.   This draft will have that too.   The hard part is knowing who that will be.
Agreed. I think we should only aim for three types of players-wing sized players who could be converted into guards (eg. Jalen Lecque, Horton-Tucker, maybe Langford if he can play as an SG), big wings who can be legit PFs/very big SFs (eg. Luka Samanic) and real big men who're mobile and skilled, but not undersized (eg. Goga Bitadze). As noted in the playoffs thread, small ball doesn't really work in the modern NBA anymore (Milwaukee steamrolled us by starting 1 guard, 1 wing and 3 bigs against our lineup of 1 guard, 2 wings, 1 swing and 1 big. Obviously Giannis is a freak but we would've done much better if we had two bigs in the frontcourt, preferably with Al at PF), and we should use this draft to kickstart a movement to recitfy this problem.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2019, 04:57:16 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Zion
Morant
Barrett

Agreed. I think we should only aim for three types of players-wing sized players who could be converted into guards (eg. Jalen Lecque, Horton-Tucker, maybe Langford if he can play as an SG), big wings who can be legit PFs/very big SFs (eg. Luka Samanic) and real big men who're mobile and skilled, but not undersized (eg. Goga Bitadze). As noted in the playoffs thread, small ball doesn't really work in the modern NBA anymore (Milwaukee steamrolled us by starting 1 guard, 1 wing and 3 bigs against our lineup of 1 guard, 2 wings, 1 swing and 1 big. Obviously Giannis is a freak but we would've done much better if we had two bigs in the frontcourt, preferably with Al at PF), and we should use this draft to kickstart a movement to recitfy this problem.

Yeah, and we got killed by pick & roll bigs all year because of our 1-big lineups.

It isn't just MIL.   Look at how TOR is attacking GSW.   They aren't trying to beat the Warriors' back court.   Curry and Thompson aren't something you are going to out-talent.    Lowry is an excellent guard, with 5 AS appearances, but he's not among the elite of scoring PGs.  In fact his scoring declined dramatically this year, to just 14.2 points per game.  And in this Finals series, it's down to just 13.3 per game.

Instead, Lowry has focused on being a facilitator for their front court.  Kawhi, Siakam, Gasol and Ibaka are the weapons that they are beating GSW with.   Especially with Durant out, their front-court has been a huge advantage for Toronto.

Lowry's stat line in this series is 13.3 points &  6.8 assists.   Nowhere near the ~20-27 points per game that he used to put up for years when TOR was oriented all around their two star guards (Lowry and DeRozan).   And this is working.

Lowry's willingness to morph back to a pass-first facilitator is a big part of why that team is successful.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2019, 05:27:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Zion
Morant
Barrett

Yeah, and we got killed by pick & roll bigs all year because of our 1-big lineups.

It isn't just MIL.   Look at how TOR is attacking GSW.   They aren't trying to beat the Warriors' back court.   Curry and Thompson aren't something you are going to out-talent.    Lowry is an excellent guard, with 5 AS appearances, but he's not among the elite of scoring PGs.  In fact his scoring declined dramatically this year, to just 14.2 points per game.  And in this Finals series, it's down to just 13.3 per game.

Instead, Lowry has focused on being a facilitator for their front court.  Kawhi, Siakam, Gasol and Ibaka are the weapons that they are beating GSW with.   Especially with Durant out, their front-court has been a huge advantage for Toronto.

Lowry's stat line in this series is 13.3 points &  6.8 assists.   Nowhere near the ~20-27 points per game that he used to put up for years when TOR was oriented all around their two star guards (Lowry and DeRozan).   And this is working.

Lowry's willingness to morph back to a pass-first facilitator is a big part of why that team is successful.

Great observation. TP

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2019, 12:28:34 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
Based on what I'm seeing Bol is the playet that offers the most intrigue and offers the best potential fit for our team.

On defense, I'd love to see perimeter players have to go around Jaylen and Smart just to meet Bol at the rim.

On offense, he could allow Horford to slide back down to the 4 while still offering legit three-point range... creating driving lanes for our wings.

With this draft I see a lot of role players, but I think Bol could be a star... especially in our system