Author Topic: Does the Bruins Success Bother Anyone Else?  (Read 38495 times)

Re: Does the Bruins Success Bother Anyone Else?
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2011, 12:10:29 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 114
  • And the Truth shall set you free
I don't really know what to make of the popularity question right now.  All of a sudden people want to crown the Bruins and say this is a hockey town and that it has only been dormant over the years.  I find that theory hard to believe.  Maybe it's the circles i run in but i can't really say i know many bruins fans.  The old adage was that there were 16,000 Bruins fans and they all went to the Garden and that's how they sold out the building.  How does that all change in one playoff run?

Over the regular season the Celtics just about doubled the average tv ratings of the Bruins.  Let's not forget, the Celts went out early this year, and the Sox got off to a horrible start.  The stage was set perfectly for the Bruins to take everyone's attention.

I think overall, basketball and the NBA have a much broader appeal and that the Celtics are more popular to the casual fan.  Although i would say it's pretty hard to be more popular than the team that just won a championship one night ago.

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2011, 12:51:31 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
Probably doesn't mean much, but a quick look at the facebook pages puts the Bruins at around 0.9 Million facebook fans and the Celts at roughly 4.6 million.  What does that mean exactly?  I don't know, but very topline, I would say the Celts are winning with younger fans, which doesn't really surprise me.  The Sox meanwhile are at about 2.6 million fans while the pats are at 2.2 million.

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2011, 04:13:45 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I think it bothers the Vancouver Canuck fans. ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2011, 08:21:42 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So...

1) All things equal
-Are the Celtics more popular than the Bruins?
-Is the NBA more popular than the NHL in Boston?
-Is hoops or pucks bigger in Boston?

2) As of the start of this past season

3)  As of now

4) As of the foreseeable future...

Who cares. 

Unless one team suddenly doesn't get the financial backing of the fans (not likely) both are in good positions. 

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2011, 08:29:18 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Probably doesn't mean much, but a quick look at the facebook pages puts the Bruins at around 0.9 Million facebook fans and the Celts at roughly 4.6 million.  What does that mean exactly?  I don't know, but very topline, I would say the Celts are winning with younger fans, which doesn't really surprise me.  The Sox meanwhile are at about 2.6 million fans while the pats are at 2.2 million.

I think it means the Celtics have a much bigger global audience than the Bruins.  Not necessarily locally, and that the NBA as a whole has much wider popularity.
Yup

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2011, 09:03:42 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford

I think it means the Celtics have a much bigger global audience than the Bruins.  Not necessarily locally, and that the NBA as a whole has much wider popularity.

That's a very good point. I do think however that the Celtics have a larger following among younger fans than the rest of the Boston teams 

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2011, 09:25:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I don't think the popularity thing matters at all.  However, I did find this surprising:

Game 7 of the Cup final drew a 43.4 local rating in Boston, meaning 43.4 percent of all Boston-area households with televisions were tuned in. That is the best NHL rating in Boston since records began being kept for the market in 1991 and the best in Boston for any major sports championship since the Giants-Patriots Super Bowl XLII in 2008. The Boston market averaged a 28.1 local rating for the seven Cup final games, better than any game in the Celtics' last two NBA Finals appearances.

The *average* Stanley Cup Final game was higher than *any* Lakers / Celtics game from 2008 or 2011, including the title clincher or Game 7.  I guess that shows just how jazzed the city was for the Cup.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2011, 09:45:08 AM »

Offline PierceMVP08

• Al Horford
I don't think the popularity thing matters at all.  However, I did find this surprising:

Game 7 of the Cup final drew a 43.4 local rating in Boston, meaning 43.4 percent of all Boston-area households with televisions were tuned in. That is the best NHL rating in Boston since records began being kept for the market in 1991 and the best in Boston for any major sports championship since the Giants-Patriots Super Bowl XLII in 2008. The Boston market averaged a 28.1 local rating for the seven Cup final games, better than any game in the Celtics' last two NBA Finals appearances.

The *average* Stanley Cup Final game was higher than *any* Lakers / Celtics game from 2008 or 2011, including the title clincher or Game 7.  I guess that shows just how jazzed the city was for the Cup.

That quote is a little misleading because the celts had games that reached over 28
 ratings. Last year averaged a 25.  That 43 for rating for the bruins game 7 is also better than any red sox world series game

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2011, 09:52:32 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Why do things have to turn to Bruins v. Celtics?  Really?

Are some people that insecure?   ::)

They reside in the same city and there is a HUGE overlap in fanbases.  Who cares?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2011, 09:55:10 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Honestly I think the bruins winning is absolutely awesome, I have never been a huge hockey guy, but enjoy any hockey where the don't fight.  Thats why I generally like college hockey better than the pro's. 

But seeing the guys just walking around the northend with the Cup in a baby stroller is something that doesnt happen in any other sports and I think its awesome.  Im glad they are enjoying it and glad the city is embracing them
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #85 on: June 18, 2011, 11:29:46 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
To all the Bruins haters ( and this includes the Celtics, Pats, and Sox Bruins haters) keep hating because we're the champs and don't need you.

GO B'S! GO C'S! GO PATS! AND GO SOX!
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2011, 11:35:08 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
I don't really know what to make of the popularity question right now.  All of a sudden people want to crown the Bruins and say this is a hockey town and that it has only been dormant over the years.  I find that theory hard to believe.  Maybe it's the circles i run in but i can't really say i know many bruins fans.  The old adage was that there were 16,000 Bruins fans and they all went to the Garden and that's how they sold out the building.  How does that all change in one playoff run?

Over the regular season the Celtics just about doubled the average tv ratings of the Bruins.  Let's not forget, the Celts went out early this year, and the Sox got off to a horrible start.  The stage was set perfectly for the Bruins to take everyone's attention.

I think overall, basketball and the NBA have a much broader appeal and that the Celtics are more popular to the casual fan.  Although i would say it's pretty hard to be more popular than the team that just won a championship one night ago.

The Bruins were beating the Sox and Celts last year too in ratings during the playoffs just to let you know.

Can't we just love all the teams or be indifferent to the ones we don't have a love for.  Why do we have to hate on our cities teams?
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I was listening to weei in my car today and Merloni was saying that now the c's are the 4th most important team in Boston now because they are lest likely to win a championship in the next five years . He said that all of the bruins young talent is going to have them as contenders for years to come.

I don't know how he can say the Bruins have a better future, sure the big 3 of the c's are all getting older , but we still have an all-star,all-defensive 1st team PG, we have some good trading chips or developing young players with Green,clippers pick and the c's own draft picks. We also will have a boatload of money to offer max contracts to Dwight Howard, Chris Paul or Deron Williams. The big 3 would be elite role players until about 38, so if we just add one piece(dwight please) the c's are right at top of the contenders list in the NBA

I think it is a lot harder to be a contender year after year in the NHL because of injuries. I still think the C's have just as bright of a future, if not better .

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The C's have a similarly bright future next year (title contenders), but after that we're in a full rebuild mode.

So I think the Bruins do have a brighter future, unless they're going to be rebuilding sooner than it sounds like they should have to.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
The C's have a similarly bright future next year (title contenders), but after that we're in a full rebuild mode.

So I think the Bruins do have a brighter future, unless they're going to be rebuilding sooner than it sounds like they should have to.

The Bruins are absolutely stacked for the foreseeable future.  They have all of their key players locked up, and most of them are less than 30.  They have a stud goalie ready to step in whenever Thomas is done.  They have a potential superstar in Seguin getting better every day. 

And, they have the #9 pick in this years draft to boot.

Yes, the C's have an (outside) chance of reloading on the fly, but I would be shocked if this B's team does not continue to get better, and is not a cup contender for the foreseeable future.