Author Topic: Bucks (21-9) at Celtics (18-12) Game #31 12/21/18  (Read 31676 times)

Re: Bucks (21-9) at Celtics (18-12) Game #31 12/21/18
« Reply #480 on: December 21, 2018, 11:45:40 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Looks like Celtics had a come to Jesus meeting right after the game for 30 mins. Reporters tried to find out what happened but they weren’t saying
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #481 on: December 21, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Looks like Celtics had a come to Jesus meeting right after the game for 30 mins. Reporters tried to find out what happened but they weren’t saying

Did anyone actually see Brady there, though?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #482 on: December 22, 2018, 12:01:04 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Did anyone actually see Brady there, though?

;D I can't confirm that. I re-listened to the interviews and will try to transcribe them. I'm sure they will be in the Boston Globe or Masslive or Boston Herald soon anyway but here goes.

Tatum was interviewed and said they had to "talk it out", said they would keep what was said private, mentioned that their effort hasn't been consistent over the past 3 games.

Brown said he didn't take anything personal in the meeting, that they needed to have it and it was a good meeting and it wasn't for anyone else to know what was said.

Kyrie was also interviewed, his first answer when asked what was said in the locker room was "none of your business"  ;D

He was much more articulate when asked other questions, like when he was asked why they seem to have these lapses. Basically said that contrary to what everyone thinks its a lot harder to build a championship caliber team than anyone thinks, they have to work on it every day trusting each other to do the right thing. Their cohesion is still lacking and there was some selfish play tonight where bad options were taken early in the shot clock, or too much iso and hero ball, or settling for fadeaways instead of trusting other players to be in the right spots for a pass. He said it's a challenge and he's the first to admit he's had to deal with his own challenges in the past of being more consistent on the defensive end and it's an all day thing to keep trying to push yourself.

He also said something interesting about himself and in trying to be a leader of the team, he said that he isn't necessarily playing the role or the minutes that he would selfishly like in order to score big or get many shots but he understands that a big part of his role as leader is to try to get his teammates to improve and get better so that they get more confidence and the team gets better. It's a difficult balance for him because he can literally get to wherever he wants and do what he wants but he has to be cognizant of what he needs to do to make the team overall more successful, because he wants to value his teammates' success the same way he does his own and vice versa.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:13:26 AM by ozgod »

« Reply #483 on: December 22, 2018, 12:05:45 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2930
https://twitter.com/BDCCeltics/status/1076336209587245056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1076336209587245056&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Kyrie Irving on the team’s discussion: “It’s none of your business.”

https://twitter.com/BrianTRobb/status/1076341156986925056?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1076341156986925056&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Kyrie: "Obviously, (there is) some selfish play out there where we have some really talented guys, but we’re better as a team sharing the basketball."

https://twitter.com/ClevisMurray/status/1076338770767691776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1076338770767691776&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Kyrie Irving on the meeting: "Much needed, much needed. I think everyone can see that we've obviously had some inconsistencies regarding our play, so I think it was just time to address it."

Irving: "It's an everyday job, I've been saying it since the beginning of the season. It's not going to look pretty, it's not going to look great at all times."

Irving: "The biggest thing for me is just patience and I think also just being honest with each one another in just how we feel. You know, being able to talk to one another without anybody taking it personal."

https://twitter.com/GwashburnGlobe/status/1076341247126720512?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1076341247126720512&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

Marcus Smart: “(It) was just one of those nights where we just let our offensive woes affect us on the defense end. It’s something we really have to clean up and understand we’re not going to hit shots every night but we can’t allow our defense to take a hit like that.” #Celtics

https://twitter.com/Scott_Souza/status/1076336231422803968?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1076336231422803968&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

More Jaylen Brown on #Celtics team meeting: “It’s not about me. It’s about us. We’re trying to be one as a unit. We’re either going to be all in, or we’re not. So I didn’t take anything personally from it. But we’ve all got to be better.”

https://twitter.com/Scott_Souza/status/1076336055966711814?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1076336055966711814&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

More #Celtics Jaylen Brown on team meeting: “We need a few more (team discussions). We’ve got to keep moving forward, though. Got to keep building. We’re trying to do something as a unit. We’re trying to be together. We’re trying to make sure we’re on the right page."

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall there. I'm really interested to know who Kyrie was referring to regarding the selfish play.

« Reply #484 on: December 22, 2018, 12:08:06 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
Not worried about it.  Bucks are probably the 3rd best team in the East behind Philly and the Raptors and Boston is on the outside looking in right now.  Hayward is a shadow of himself.  Horford and Morris are injured.  Kyrie had a weak game.  No biggie.  Keeping it under 20 is a moral victory.

lol you are still a Philly fan boy.  Bucks are better that Philly.

Agree, Philly has no chance this year.
Right now the Bucks are better than the Sixers but that's because of the Sixer's weak bench.  The question is how much the Sixers can improve their bench at the trade deadline or in buyout market.  Bucks don't have anyone to defend Embiid.  The Bucks guards aren't that much of a threat and the Sixers should be able to hide Redick on Brogdon and Hill.   

« Reply #485 on: December 22, 2018, 12:16:32 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White

Oh, to have been a fly on the wall there. I'm really interested to know who Kyrie was referring to regarding the selfish play.

Chris Forsberg was just interviewed on Boston Sports Tonight, he said if he had to guess it was directed at the younger guys. Jaylen saying he didn't take anything personal suggests that he was the subject of some of the criticism. I'm planning to watch the 1st half again to see if I can pick up any selfish play.

Kyrie said they have 49 games to go still, this is the time when teams start to really show what they are made of, these next 30-40 games.

« Reply #486 on: December 22, 2018, 12:22:17 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

Chris Forsberg was just interviewed on Boston Sports Tonight, he said if he had to guess it was directed at the younger guys. Jaylen saying he didn't take anything personal suggests that he was the subject of some of the criticism. I'm planning to watch the 1st half again to see if I can pick up any selfish play.

Kyrie said they have 49 games to go still, this is the time when teams start to really show what they are made of, these next 30-40 games.

I honestly didn't think there was a lot of selfish play tonight.  Or at least I didn't see it.  I agree with Smart's comments, we need to get back to being a great def team that is hard to score on, and doesn't let missed shots impact our intensity or effort on D.  I saw some of that tonight, but not sure about the selfish play.

« Reply #487 on: December 22, 2018, 12:29:01 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS

He’s prob referring to Jayson CarmeloTATUM
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #488 on: December 22, 2018, 01:33:43 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Not worried about it.  Bucks are probably the 3rd best team in the East behind Philly and the Raptors and Boston is on the outside looking in right now.  Hayward is a shadow of himself.  Horford and Morris are injured.  Kyrie had a weak game.  No biggie.  Keeping it under 20 is a moral victory.

lol you are still a Philly fan boy.  Bucks are better that Philly.

Agree, Philly has no chance this year.
Right now the Bucks are better than the Sixers but that's because of the Sixer's weak bench.  The question is how much the Sixers can improve their bench at the trade deadline or in buyout market.  Bucks don't have anyone to defend Embiid.  The Bucks guards aren't that much of a threat and the Sixers should be able to hide Redick on Brogdon and Hill.   
Talent is talent... and of the 5 teams at the top of the East, Philly is the only with 3 probable all-stars.  So I expect that will make them dangerous as the season progresses.  Talent is talent.  Boston right now is probably the 4th or 5th most talented team in the East.  Kyrie is our lone star and he's probably not as talented as the top guys on the 3 best East teams.   Tatum is our 2nd best player and he's not quite there yet.  Horford probably isn't a star this year.  Hayward and Brown have been awful, but maybe one of them will be playing like an all-star by the end of the year. 

At this point, I just want to see the team avoid the 6th seed, because that could mean a first round exit.   We have a very good chance to make the 2nd round... and then it's anyone's guess who makes the Conference Finals.  Home court will matter a lot.  It would be very difficult to argue Boston is a favorite at this point.

« Reply #489 on: December 22, 2018, 08:10:05 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

He’s prob referring to Jayson CarmeloTATUM

Kyrie included himself as an example of getting caught up in iso ball.  I'm assuming the tone of the meeting was about staying the course and committing to team play, as opposed to calling out specific players.  I think this group likes and respects each other off the court.  The "selfish play" and lack of effort is a natural tendency when the group loses confidence.   

On a side note, many of us have gotten caught up in comparing this group to last years team.  It's too hard to ignore how fun they were to watch.  I'd like to remind people that:

- The 2017-2018 Celtics routinely had offensive lapses and fell behind early in games.  Instead of labeling their struggles as "selfish play", we were able to justify them by citing a lack of talent and/or inexperience.
- The crazy comebacks allowed us to ignore their shortcomings throughout most of the regular season
- They had the benefit of embracing the underdog role
- Horford was essentially the best team player in the NBA for the first 30+ games.  He and Kyrie covered up many of ours flaws.  They were dynamite in the 4th quarter of close games.
- The new defensive rules weren't in place yet.  I doubt last years Celtics would have overcome the same deficits with this years rules
- Pace of play, along with the rule changes, has increased parity throughout the league.  The best teams in the East have also gotten better. Toronto, Milwaukee, and Philly are all MUCH better than last years.  It's not even close.

The inconsistency has been extremely frustrating but I'm not coming to any conclusions.  I need to see how they play against elite competition when they are completely healthy. 

« Reply #490 on: December 22, 2018, 08:37:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Brown hit a switch last night and for a bit was old Brown dunking.   This Brown needs to show up more!

« Reply #491 on: December 22, 2018, 08:49:35 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Brown hit a switch last night and for a bit was old Brown dunking.   This Brown needs to show up more!

The real question is can Brown balance the aggression with making the right team plays?  Last night we needed his aggression to spark a run.  The dunk gave him a nice adrenaline boost.  My concern is that he can't contribute efficiently within the flow of the offense.

I believe he is a capable of finding the right balance, but it's definitely a work in progress. 

« Reply #492 on: December 22, 2018, 08:56:45 AM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

The real question is can Brown balance the aggression with making the right team plays?  Last night we needed his aggression to spark a run.  The dunk gave him a nice adrenaline boost.  My concern is that he can't contribute efficiently within the flow of the offense.

I believe he is a capable of finding the right balance, but it's definitely a work in progress.

I even thought he was making some really nice passes off the drive, as well. Of course he had a couple of total fails on not-really-fast-breaks-that-he-thought-were-fast-breaks and this led to two back-breaking 3s by the Bucks. But, overall, there isn't a lot to complain about with Brown's second half. He was seemingly the only player who bothered to mentally come back out of the locker room after half-time.

« Reply #493 on: December 22, 2018, 09:12:05 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
This team is soft and mentally weak. I think coming in as a favorite messed with their mindset and I honestly don’t think Stevens has figured out how to push their buttons yet as a result.

Whatever it is we nearing the halfway point in the season. They need to figure something out soon because Ainge will make moves for them if they don’t. Stevens really needs to figure out the entire Brown/Hayward thing. Brown decided to play aggressive and looked good in the second half. Hayward continues to look like poop. I know he’s coming off a serious injury but I was expecting more. I also think he looks fat/big. I don’t remember him ever being that big. Maybe adding weight has messed with his game.

« Reply #494 on: December 22, 2018, 09:26:54 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

in NBA you have to think like Kobe be driven to win EVERY night to get it done .  or you ll drift , get a pay check and go from team to team ...like Jeff Green.