Author Topic: If the Knicks offered Carmelo for Crowder  (Read 9389 times)

Re: If the Knicks offered Carmelo for Crowder
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2017, 08:11:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
There's no possibility in any universe that the knicks even consider this for a millisecond. (The original trade).

Fine . They can stay mediocre for th next 5 seasons. And Melo can live with a legacy of one of the most overpaid/overrated players that has ever played. No standing ovation once retired

« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2017, 08:26:49 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Depends on the cost of taking on that big contract. If it involved a bunch of expiring deals and nothing seriously substantial in terms of picks, sure. The C's desperately need a wing who can score in the worst way. They can't just rely on IT to bail them out every game.

All that being said, Melo obviously has his warts. But the "available" all star talent pool seems to be drying up. If this team wants to compete now, they are gowing to have you make a move at some point for a all star level scorer.

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Depends on the cost of taking on that big contract. If it involved a bunch of expiring deals and nothing seriously substantial in terms of picks, sure. The C's desperately need a wing who can score in the worst way. They can't just rely on IT to bail them out every game.

All that being said, Melo obviously has his warts. But the "available" all star talent pool seems to be drying up. If this team wants to compete now, they are gowing to have you make a move at some point for a all star level scorer.
Yeah that is where I'm at and Melo for all his warts is still a fairly popular player that has a lot of friends and good relationships around the league, so that might translate into other veterans joining up especially if Melo transitions well into Boston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

Yeah that is where I'm at and Melo for all his warts is still a fairly popular player that has a lot of friends and good relationships around the league, so that might translate into other veterans joining up especially if Melo transitions well into Boston.
Agreed. It ultimately depends on what direction the Knicks want to go in. Do they go full rebuild and just sell off all the big contracts and see what they can get and build around Porzingis? Or do they actually want substantial returns for Melo/Rose/Noah etc?

All I know is the C's need 2 things: a secondary scorer and big man help. Ainge needs to figure that stuff out because a blind monkey can see the C's lack in those areas.

« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2017, 09:46:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Agreed. It ultimately depends on what direction the Knicks want to go in. Do they go full rebuild and just sell off all the big contracts and see what they can get and build around Porzingis? Or do they actually want substantial returns for Melo/Rose/Noah etc?

All I know is the C's need 2 things: a secondary scorer and big man help. Ainge needs to figure that stuff out because a blind monkey can see the C's lack in those areas.
They won't get much for Noah or Rose.  Melo is really their only option.  I'd even give NY some of Boston's own 1st's if it got it done as I think Melo checks off a number of Boston's weak areas. 

« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2017, 09:52:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Sorry but Popular? Who has he brought in during free agency period?
He has not won anything since helping the nuggets make the finals way back

When he retires nobody will care. Fans wont stand up and cheer. 

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2017, 10:00:52 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
I fail to see why Ainge would even be interested in Carmelo.

Maybe it's just me.

And people.. doing nothing is still doing something. Developing Smart, Brown, the two Nets Picks, and a FA signing this summer. They can still do that without making any trades.

If they do a trade, I hope its a cheap one for Bogut (he can help us a ton winning 1-2 playoff series - I DON'T want another first round exit and we NEED rebounding).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

Maybe it's just me.

And people.. doing nothing is still doing something. Developing Smart, Brown, the two Nets Picks, and a FA signing this summer. They can still do that without making any trades.

If they do a trade, I hope its a cheap one for Bogut (he can help us a ton winning 1-2 playoff series - I DON'T want another first round exit and we NEED rebounding).

I was on board with the suggested trade that traded Crowder, Rozier, filler and 2nd round draft picks. 

Start throwing in what what it would actually take (1st round picks, Brown) count me out.

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2017, 10:30:50 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Maybe it's just me.

I was on board with the suggested trade that traded Crowder, Rozier, filler and 2nd round draft picks. 

Start throwing in what what it would actually take (1st round picks, Brown) count me out.
You are fine with picks in the 30's but not picks in the late 20's.  That seems sort of strange to me.  I mean what if it was Boston's 2018 and 2019 1st rounder lottery protected.  You would expect Boston to be a top team in the East next year and the year after so those picks are probably 25ish.  You wouldn't include those to acquire Melo.  That just seems like an odd line to draw.  Now sure, you don't include the Brooklyn picks and maybe not even the Memphis pick, but Boston's own picks, especially lottery protected, seems like a pretty easy no brainer. 

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2017, 01:27:36 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
How about this 3 team trade

Boston - Anthony, Chandler, Tucker, Plumlee, Jones
New York - Johnson, Crowder, Rozier, BOS 2018, BOS 2019
Phoenix - Zeller, Jerekbo, Young, PHI 2017 2nd, BKN 2018 2nd

So Post-trade (1 open roster spot with 3 of Plumlee, Jackson, Jones, and Mickey in DLeague)

PG - Thomas, Smart, Jackson
SG - Bradley, Green
SF - Anthony, Brown, Tucker, Jones
PF - Horford, Olynyk, Mickey
C - Chandler, Plumlee

Obvious rotation would be 3 guards (Thomas, Smart, Bradley), 3 bigs (Chandler, Horford, Olynyk) and 1 of the 3 SF's playing a small ball 4 a fair amount of minutes (preferably Anthony).  Team still has 1 open roster spot to add a veteran bigman. 

« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2017, 04:15:34 PM »

Offline Nails

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
I'm all for this. Trade anything but Brown and the Brooklyn picks to make it happen. He is exactly what the Celts need. His contract gets better everyday with next year the salary cap being $100,000,000.00. That is insane to even think of the cap being that high. Boogie is going to get a 5 year $200,000,000.00 deal! Think of that.

« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2017, 11:09:39 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I'd rather have Crowder and cap space this summer.  Melo is still a good scorer, but I don't think an iso-heavy 29 year old that doesn't play D and has a history of being a diva is what this team needs.  He definitely wouldn't make us contenders now, and there's a good chance he would prevent us from making the moves necessary to build a contender, so I would steer clear.

I wonder if Cleveland could scrape together enough salary (and assets) to trade for him

Carmelo turns 33 this year.

The proposal is seriously skewed. Crowder is both better and younger, not to mention cheaper, a better fit for Boston, and a better teammate.

« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2017, 11:15:01 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I'd rather have Crowder and cap space this summer.  Melo is still a good scorer, but I don't think an iso-heavy 29 year old that doesn't play D and has a history of being a diva is what this team needs.  He definitely wouldn't make us contenders now, and there's a good chance he would prevent us from making the moves necessary to build a contender, so I would steer clear.

I wonder if Cleveland could scrape together enough salary (and assets) to trade for him

Carmelo turns 33 this year.

The proposal is seriously skewed. Crowder is both better and younger, not to mention cheaper, a better fit for Boston, and a better teammate.

He's not better(and I'm no Carmelo fan).  All the rest is accurate but though.

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2017, 11:15:18 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Is it stupid night on Celtics blog?  Horrible trade for Celtics, but not as bad as the nets pick for okafor someone else proposed.

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2017, 11:28:13 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Melo has reverted into a selfish player. I'll pass. He seems to want to just get his stats at the end of his career to help his HOF candidacy. I don't want him. A few years ago, sure.