Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58522 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension
« Reply #615 on: September 26, 2022, 03:49:52 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Anyone think that Shams/Woj being used diminishes the perception that they are “in the know”? They used the term consensual and everyone bought it. Maybe it’s ok to challenge these guys going forward- that they are not infallible, and in fact, human like many others that push rumors?

I read an article about media day and the new coach and I thought it was interesting that it still had the consensual part on it. I think it said 'consensual that turned to inappropriate'. I thought that would have been pretty debunked by now. It was a Facebook article, maybe Boston Herald? Not sure.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #616 on: September 26, 2022, 04:04:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Anyone think that Shams/Woj being used diminishes the perception that they are “in the know”? They used the term consensual and everyone bought it. Maybe it’s ok to challenge these guys going forward- that they are not infallible, and in fact, human like many others that push rumors?

I read an article about media day and the new coach and I thought it was interesting that it still had the consensual part on it. I think it said 'consensual that turned to inappropriate'. I thought that would have been pretty debunked by now. It was a Facebook article, maybe Boston Herald? Not sure.
Because it was consensual.  The relationship was consensual.  This isn't a difficult concept. 

He wasn't suspended because of a consensual relationship though, he was suspended for inappropriate conduct arising out of the consensual relationship, but not the consensual relationship itself. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #617 on: September 26, 2022, 04:08:27 PM »

Offline MarcusSmartFanClub

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 59

Because it was consensual.  The relationship was consensual.  This isn't a difficult concept. 

He wasn't suspended because of a consensual relationship though, he was suspended for inappropriate conduct arising out of the consensual relationship, but not the consensual relationship itself.

Huh? From what we know (not a lot) there was a complaint about unwanted comments. That was the issue at hand.

« Reply #618 on: September 26, 2022, 04:17:15 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

I am not sure that was confirmed. I could be wrong but in the press conference, I don't remember Wyc or Brad saying that anything that it was consensual at first.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #619 on: September 26, 2022, 04:24:00 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
From the rumors that I’ve read, the relationship ended when she wanted it to and Ime continued. He was instructed to stop unwanted behaviors.

« Reply #620 on: September 26, 2022, 05:09:13 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I don't think so. They had what no one else had in terms of details so that in itself is a story.
My guess is they got at least one other source (maybe even 2) to confirm before running with it. The cost of being wrong for someone in their position is high.

These guys aren't like TMZ who pays for dirt, or these online outfits that throw crap out there and ignore libel and slander laws.

« Reply #621 on: September 26, 2022, 05:17:19 PM »

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I don't think so. They had what no one else had in terms of details so that in itself is a story.
My guess is they got at least one other source (maybe even 2) to confirm before running with it. The cost of being wrong for someone in their position is high.

These guys aren't like TMZ who pays for dirt, or these online outfits that throw crap out there and ignore libel and slander laws.

I think some think that Shams and Woj are to be inherently trusted, while others have rumors that can be readily thrown away. I’m challenging that these two are more credulous than everyone else.

« Reply #622 on: September 26, 2022, 05:36:17 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The longer Boston continues to be ultra vague the longer it looks like they are covering something up.

The fact the players know zero is not good.

It could be to protect someone who still works with the Celtics who doesn't need all their co-workers knowing.

« Reply #623 on: September 26, 2022, 05:40:10 PM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
The longer Boston continues to be ultra vague the longer it looks like they are covering something up.

It could be to protect someone who still works with the Celtics who doesn't need all their co-workers knowing.

Don’t you think they all know by now? Or at least think they do?

« Reply #624 on: September 26, 2022, 05:44:47 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

I think some think that Shams and Woj are to be inherently trusted, while others have rumors that can be readily thrown away. I’m challenging that these two are more credulous than everyone else.

I think that they're more credulous, but I also think that with this story they were having a tweeting competition and got ahead of the facts, and I don't think this is the first time that has happened.

Going back through this thread , it seems like Shams was the first to report it being a "consensual relationship" that violated team rules.  And while there have been no reports that the relationship was non-consensual from a criminal justice perspective, it was clearly much more than that, because such a relationship wouldn't have involved a two-month investigation with "twists and turns".  Meanwhile, Woj said on Wednesday night that Udoka's job wasn't in jeopardy, which doesn't jibe well with an immediate season-long suspension with a determination of his future with the team still pending.

My guess is that Woj got the initial scoop through someone in the league office, since they were probably given a heads up about the matter even though it was an internal Celtics issue.  Shams followed up with someone connected to Udoka, putting out the consensual narrative relationship out there, although this information also could have come from an NBA office source with incomplete information, or even a source from a former employer of Udoka's (Nets, Sixers, Spurs) if the Celtics' investigators reached out to former employers to determine if there was a pattern of behavior.  It is highly unlikely that any of the early sources came from the Celtics front office, as they still haven't told the players any details.  Woj's subsequent reporting (regarding severity of punishment) probably came through Udoka's camp.

« Reply #625 on: September 26, 2022, 05:49:26 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 986

They might.  Smart was the most open about it, I thought.  He sincerely wanted more information, but also wanted everyone to have their privacy.  Think about all the gossip he went through with the hand injury incident several years ago.  It was no doubt personally embarrassing, and he certainly would have rather that been kept private.

« Reply #626 on: September 26, 2022, 05:49:37 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

We clearly don't know enough to know one way or the other.  Just spitballing without pointing fingers at other Celtics employees.

« Reply #627 on: September 26, 2022, 05:52:09 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Who knows.  Office could be just as speculatory as the public. 

Corporate HR departments can be pretty good at keeping these things under wraps.  Big ramifications for anyone in that department who would be found leaking that info. 

I'm sure some of the employees might have a good idea who it is but I doubt they'd have those suspicions confirmed if HR is acting accordingly and the woman (or women) isn't saying anything. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #628 on: September 26, 2022, 08:11:04 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Huh? From what we know (not a lot) there was a complaint about unwanted comments. That was the issue at hand.
That is exactly what I said i.e. "suspended for inappropriate conduct arising out of the consensual relationship"
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #629 on: September 27, 2022, 12:36:52 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
People are starting to say that he isn’t just done coaching in Boston but possibly coaching anywhere.

There has got to be a lot more to this.  Having an affair with a married staffer, whose husband also works for the team is a ugly situation, even him behaving like a jerk after getting rejected on top of that makes it even worse. 

But for that to completely get him blackballed like some people are starting to say still seems like a bit much.  There’s got to be an even uglier side of this.

There’s absolutely an uglier side to this.  Wyc said the investigation had a lot of “twists and turns”.  I don’t know what that means, exactly, but it implies there was a lot going on.
It does reek of a tip of the iceberg type story with all that has surrounded it, both from Wyc and co. plus the likes of Matt Barnes
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)