Author Topic: Udoka Facing Suspension/Udoka to Nets??  (Read 58401 times)

Re: Udoka Facing Suspension
« Reply #555 on: September 23, 2022, 08:42:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The Celtics have to come clean about all this.
Who is the woman? Why isn't she being disciplined?
As Perk pointed out, not naming the woman just puts pressure on all the other women employees.
It also creates the impression women are immune from discipline. That it's always the man's fault.

The reports say "consensual." The woman should be equally disciplined.
I've also seen that she is married, though I don't trust media reports.
We do know Udeke is not married, but has had an on again off again relationship which has produced one child.

All of this, of course, should fall under the realm of private business.
I don't know how many teams have such archaic rules, but I know those that don't must be highly amused about all this.
It's naive to think that there isn't extensive co-mingling going on with male sports teams hiring so many women these days at every level.
No, they do not have to come clean about any of this. Your understanding of management principles is pretty off here. We have no right to know who she is, given the public nature of this. If there was a power imbalance (which seems impossible to avoid given his seniority), then there are absolutely no grounds to punish her on. Especially if she was the subject of unwanted advances / harassment
Also, since we don't know who she is, we have no idea if she was also punished, though it seems unlikely if it came down to her breaking it off and then him becoming an issue because of being rejected by her.

I could not care less who she is or if she was also punished.

I want to support everyone here until the full story comes out. We have to remember they are people with private lives and many will be affected by this, children even. So let's show a bit of empathy and understanding here. And patience.

And by God, let's stop with the speculation. Let these people work things out and let's not drag people into this that shouldn't be.

Those poor women who were speculated on, my goodness. Imagine the conversations they had to have in their homes later with significant others, simply because some idiots went into the Celtics personnel listings and started bringing their names into this.

Patience. The story will come. And if it doesn't, fine, let them all have their privacy.

For what it’s worth, Wyc was explicit that Udoka was the only member of the organization who received any punishment.
Haven't been following too closely. I heard multiple violations. Didn't see the presser so missed the details like what you have here, so TP for that.

Yeah he said Multiple, it sounds like not all were necessarily consensual, but who knows, they weren't giving a lot out. To many rumors out there, if some were true, like peoples wives, that warrants harsh punishment. 

Brad seemed p---ed and disappointed. I think he even swore when talking about social media leaking false info about people involved.

I don't think they should say who and what exactly happened. Remember there are other people involved and they are already going through a lot, this would just add to it.
Absolutely not. Can you imagine the torment the woman would be the victim of from online trolls?
I can't imagine being a Celtic employee, woken up yesterday by their significant asking them if they are having an affair with Ime Udoka because their significant other saw it on Twitter or they had a friend contacting them saying their lady was cheating on him with Coach Udoka.

The speculation has consequences. Best for the C's to not name a single person but Ime. Actually, it's in their best interest not to.

« Reply #556 on: September 23, 2022, 09:02:51 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Gotta feel for these women around the organization. It's been toxic.
Amanda_Pflugrad
@Amanda_Pflugrad
·
30m
It’s time to speak up on this matter  and to my female coworkers, I see you and I am always here #womeninsports

That's a really sucky part of all of this. As a woman who roots for a team, I'm constantly undermined. As a woman who works in a sports adjacent field (physical therapy/sports rehabilitation), I'm constantly underestimated even though I have 10+ years of experience coordinating the surgeries and care plans for some of the biggest names across the major sports.

I was really disappointed that the team didn't come out with a condemnation of the social media activity sooner. Female staffers - especially Allison Feaster - were getting their names drug through the mud. It got so bad for Allison that she made a statement through a reporter. Others deleted social media altogether. It was ugly.

But I was reassured by Brad's emotion during the press conference. I do believe he values and respects women and he will ensure everything from here on out is handled responsibly. Still, I'm on edge now. I love this team and want to root for this team. How things move forward and how management handles this from here on out will determine whether or not I will remain a fan.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #557 on: September 23, 2022, 09:48:11 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Gotta feel for these women around the organization. It's been toxic.
Amanda_Pflugrad
@Amanda_Pflugrad
·
30m
It’s time to speak up on this matter  and to my female coworkers, I see you and I am always here #womeninsports

That's a really sucky part of all of this. As a woman who roots for a team, I'm constantly undermined. As a woman who works in a sports adjacent field (physical therapy/sports rehabilitation), I'm constantly underestimated even though I have 10+ years of experience coordinating the surgeries and care plans for some of the biggest names across the major sports.

I was really disappointed that the team didn't come out with a condemnation of the social media activity sooner. Female staffers - especially Allison Feaster - were getting their names drug through the mud. It got so bad for Allison that she made a statement through a reporter. Others deleted social media altogether. It was ugly.

But I was reassured by Brad's emotion during the press conference. I do believe he values and respects women and he will ensure everything from here on out is handled responsibly. Still, I'm on edge now. I love this team and want to root for this team. How things move forward and how management handles this from here on out will determine whether or not I will remain a fan.

Well stated RJ. A tp.

Without more information (and we seem to have very little) it is hard to know exactly what happened and what will happen.

Hopefully, the Celtics have done the right thing here. For now it is a suspension, but I would not be surprised if this were only to gain time while negotiations take place for Udoka's permanent departure.

If things are as them appear thus far, then I am impressed that the Cs major concern from the start seems to be the effect this would have on their workplace, and not on the team's chances at gaining another title.

It would have been easier and more lucrative to attempt to sweep this under the rug and keep their everyone's eyes solely focused on raising banner number 18.

To their credit (I hope) they seem willing to risk a championship this year in order to do the right thing about the people who work for them. This is how it appears to me right at least now, and I do hope that is their intention.

If so, that is the sort of organization I can respect.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #558 on: September 24, 2022, 12:52:12 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
[Disregard, I misread
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #559 on: September 24, 2022, 01:52:25 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
TMZ is reporting that Udoka let Nia Long and their son move to Boston 2 weeks ago without telling her about the affair until a couple of days ago and only did so because he knew the story was about to break. That is a real scumbag move.
Not that I want to engage with TMZ, but far out!
Everything around this story is still very dusty but it does seem like every new report has things looking worse for Ime.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #560 on: September 24, 2022, 02:42:02 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
He probably got more folks mad at him than just Celtics  front office .pfolks   Hope the slammer isn’t in his future.  Gee what a dummy . Smh

« Reply #561 on: September 24, 2022, 03:18:17 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
In addition to hoping that anyone impacted directly is ok - including the women caught in the speculation machine - I am really curious as to how the players/team will handle this. I don’t really care much about the statements they’ll make on Monday - but I wonder how this will impact team and individual psychology moving forward and throughout the season. .

It seems to me that if the field of sports psychology is truly a unique science unto itself, this should be an opportunity to make use of that expertise.  Not to overstate since I don’t know, but there must be something to the unique relationship of a coach to individual players as well as coach to the  collective (team) that needs to be understood and addressed.  Ime’s departure could be experienced as an abandonment and a betrayal of trust by a role model or father figure.  Not to overstate here - I’m suggesting that for some, or collectively, the loss could trigger deeper stuff and be a process to needing to resolve over time.  I hope IF that’s the case that players are getting the opportunities they need to address it.  Minimally, I think that the task of replacing the coach under these circumstances is complicated.  I hope they are playing “long game” with this and not presuming that there won’t be some “trauma” (or let’s say deeper or longer challenges) associated with this.

« Reply #562 on: September 24, 2022, 04:03:43 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
In addition to hoping that anyone impacted directly is ok - including the women caught in the speculation machine - I am really curious as to how the players/team will handle this. I don’t really care much about the statements they’ll make on Monday - but I wonder how this will impact team and individual psychology moving forward and throughout the season. .

It seems to me that if the field of sports psychology is truly a unique science unto itself, this should be an opportunity to make use of that expertise.  Not to overstate since I don’t know, but there must be something to the unique relationship of a coach to individual players as well as coach to the  collective (team) that needs to be understood and addressed.  Ime’s departure could be experienced as an abandonment and a betrayal of trust by a role model or father figure.  Not to overstate here - I’m suggesting that for some, or collectively, the loss could trigger deeper stuff and be a process to needing to resolve over time.  I hope IF that’s the case that players are getting the opportunities they need to address it.  Minimally, I think that the task of replacing the coach under these circumstances is complicated.  I hope they are playing “long game” with this and not presuming that there won’t be some “trauma” (or let’s say deeper or longer challenges) associated with this.

How they handle it will make or break our season. We're about to see how much resilient the leadership structure is. How will they respond to Joe Mazz? How will Joe Mazz treat them? We'll see how good Joe Mazz is at handling egos when he's deciding playing time and who he trusts and doesn't. How will the players respond to adversity if they don't have Ime with them to guide them through difficult periods?

It will be interesting to find out to say the least. Because now we don't necessarily have a personnel issue, we have the personnel to get back to the Finals. It's about how important the coach's role really is in the modern NBA. People have always said "great teams coach themselves". We're about to find out.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #563 on: September 24, 2022, 04:21:06 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Honestly, this notion that after his year suspension is up, Ime just strolls back in, is utter nonsense.

Unless all other parties involved have already left on their on own accord, how can Udoka return?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 04:29:22 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #564 on: September 24, 2022, 04:27:22 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Honestly, this notion that after his year suspension is up, Ime just strolls back in, is utter nonsense.

Unless all other parties involved have already left on their on own accord, how can Udoka return?

I suspect it's just time to work out a severance package. But you never know. If we go 20-62 he may be welcomed back with open arms. Principle takes second place to pragmatism when you are losing bad.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #565 on: September 24, 2022, 04:30:06 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

I suspect it's just time to work out a severance package. But you never know. If we go 20-62 he may be welcomed back with open arms. Principle takes second place to pragmatism when you are losing bad.

I’m guessing that suspension is just to give the organization time to build an airtight case to dismiss Udoka, without the repercussions of an expensive lawsuit.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 04:40:30 PM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #566 on: September 24, 2022, 05:03:57 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Agent on Ime Udoka’s coaching future in NBA: ‘He’s done’

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1573759748079583235?s=46&t=GI-pQs6REXKmt7cgALhvmg

Was Udoka some sort of Harvey Weinstein clone or something? This entire story is just so bizarre.

« Reply #567 on: September 24, 2022, 05:08:26 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

https://twitter.com/thenbacentral/status/1573759748079583235?s=46&t=GI-pQs6REXKmt7cgALhvmg

Was Udoka some sort of Harvey Weinstein clone or something? This entire story is just so bizarre.

I agree it's strange.  All that's really been reported is that Ime consensually dated a woman in the organization, and that she later felt uncomfortable due to comments.  If that's the real basis, what could those comments have been?  From the reaction of many with knowledge, it seems to be way more than "I miss you, I want you back".

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #568 on: September 24, 2022, 05:21:50 PM »

Offline CBS_Take a Report

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
The notion that Ime was thankful for the way the Celtics handled it signaled to me A) he appreciated our approach to confidentiality and B) he appreciated the lightness of the sentence imposed.

There are so many potential tentacles to this and as a business owner this is a culture killer. At an event I host annually, a keynote speaker once said you gotta shoot the raccoon because once you have one they come back in masses and crush your culture.

Shoot the raccoon!!

For an organization who is sensitive to and wants to be at the forefront of social issues (it would appear), there is no question Udoka is gone for good.

What potentially happened:

1) They we’re both told to stop and he didn’t but she did. (D pics anyone?)
2) This wasn’t the first inter office sexcapade of Ime and after the above happened and his behavior was further scrutinized he found serial behavior.
3) It happened on corporate ground.

Guys he is gone. Forever. Let’s start thinking about the future and sadly a new direction at coach. He had such a promising career as a minority coach. His demeanor and courtside manner was amazing. It’s such a shame his off courtside behavior wasn’t.

« Reply #569 on: September 24, 2022, 05:59:39 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I agree it's strange.  All that's really been reported is that Ime consensually dated a woman in the organization, and that she later felt uncomfortable due to comments.  If that's the real basis, what could those comments have been?  From the reaction of many with knowledge, it seems to be way more than "I miss you, I want you back".
Yeah, there seems to be an awful lot of smoke
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)