Author Topic: How do you feel about your career?  (Read 7895 times)

How do you feel about your career?
« on: August 26, 2022, 01:30:21 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How's your job?  Are you in the right field / position?  When did you know what you wanted to do?  Is your job something you loathe, but tolerate it because it brings a paycheck?  Or do you love going to work?

I've been thinking a lot about these issues recently.  I've been working since I was 15.  I've been a bus boy, a waiter, a dishwasher for work study at college, a legal intern, a law clerk, and then a lawyer.  I've worked for a firm, I've worked for myself, and I've worked for two separate state governments.  Right now, I'm in a quasi-legal administrative role with the the State of Maine.

When I was a law clerk, I had maybe a half-dozen attorneys speak with me and advise me against becoming a lawyer.  They all hated their jobs.  Most of my friends are lawyers.  Most of them are at least competent at their jobs, but few of them are passionate about the law.  It's basically because they chose law to make money, rather than loving the practice.  And that's a completely valid career choice.  For me, I've know that this is what I wanted to do since 14 years old.  I haven't loved every aspect of every job I've had, but I firmly feel like I ended up in the right place.

My father hated every day of his job, I think.  My grandfather did, too, and his career in construction left his body broken and eventually disabled.  My two brothers are in jobs that they tolerate, but both would prefer something else.  All of it just makes me reflect on how lucky I am to have landed in a good spot.

Where do you fall? 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: How do you feel about your career?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 01:42:28 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
As an (former) immigrant child, I believe the sacrifices my parents made was so we would have a choice of what we wanted to do. Growing up I was always into sports and went to school for exercise science but didn't really think of personal training as a career. I am now working at a YMCA and I love the fact that I have an opportunity to help people. I train people but my position also allows me to do other things that can directly impact people's quality of life. During the peak of the pandemic, we stayed open through our food pantry and I am very proud of the fact that I was able to help keep people fed during one of the most challenging times of their lives.

With that said, my position doesn't get paid a lot of money (especially compared to some of my high school friends at this point in their career), I do have to deal with a lot of unfortunate things and I would like to keep advancing in my career without compromising family time. However, my parents were people that always gave back and working at a nonprofit organization where I can give back is, although not the most successful in career accolades, a very rewarding profession.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 02:05:59 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I am an engineer.  To be an engineer, you need an intellectual skill set (as is the case with many professional occupations).  I am lucky to have that skill set.  I think of it like an athlete or musician or artist.  They all have a form of natural ability.  My natural ability is math and logic and so on.  I would have loved to have been a better athlete or better at music, something more cool, but no, my ability is engineering.

The thing with engineering, like Law, is that there are a lot of ways to apply it.  My path through an engineering career has included part ownership of a business, lots of deals and negotiations, marketing and selling, and of course a lot of highly technical design and successful projects (the core on which everything else is built).  I still love the engineering.  Finding an elusive solution to a client's problem, mentoring younger engineers, all the technical stuff is still very satisfying.  But I also get variety.

I really am a nerdy engineer at heart, right there with the best of the nerds.  I have been fortunate to accomplish a lot as an engineer and that would not have been possible if deep down, I didn't really enjoy it.  The business that I am in can be tough and competitive, there is stress but there probably would not have been any other career path I would have enjoyed more.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 02:24:35 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I still love the engineering.  Finding an elusive solution to a client's problem, mentoring younger engineers, all the technical stuff is still very satisfying.  ...

I really am a nerdy engineer at heart, right there with the best of the nerds.

Yeah, you and I have talked about some of this, tangentially, in some of the political threads.

I'm a law nerd.  It's part of who I am, which is definitely reflected in so many of my conversations, both here and elsewhere.  I like to try to put factual and legal puzzles together.  I've heard artists, musicians and authors talk about the physical need to create.  I suspect it's similar to what you're describing as an engineer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 03:16:57 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I'm happy where I'm at, but if I could go back, I'd definitely do some things differently along the way (but still follow the same general path).

I'm in the business world, corporate finance.  Ever since I was little, always intrigued with the world of business.

Did Business Management and Marketing double major in undergrad, later got my MBA with a duel concentration in Finance and Real Estate.  If I could go back, I'd probably do my undergrad different and major in Accounting and do a minor in Computer Science, but would still probably do the MBA the same (but would add a CPA along the way).

Having been in the Corporate America world for a while now, I think Accounting really provides such a strong business base.  I feel like you can move anywhere in the corporate world with an Accounting background, but the same isn't true for other areas.  I meet people with Accounting backgrounds in every department, but never really meet people from Marketing in other departments (except maybe Product Management).

For the Computer Science part, I can do some cool stuff with financial modeling and data analytics now, but I think some formal CS education would enhance it even more and open up even more opportunities.

Like I said, I'm happy where I'm at, doing pretty great for myself, but at the same time I think I could be doing even better had I done some things differently (within reason).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 04:14:30 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Love my job--I own a Record Store...Best job ever, if you like Vinyl and being your own boss.

I've basically been retired for years--meaning I only work 3 hours a day.

When you like what you do, it's not work.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 04:19:57 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I still love the engineering.  Finding an elusive solution to a client's problem, mentoring younger engineers, all the technical stuff is still very satisfying.  ...

Yeah, you and I have talked about some of this, tangentially, in some of the political threads.

I'm a law nerd.  It's part of who I am, which is definitely reflected in so many of my conversations, both here and elsewhere.  I like to try to put factual and legal puzzles together.  I've heard artists, musicians and authors talk about the physical need to create.  I suspect it's similar to what you're describing as an engineer.
I guess I'm super nerd since I have an engineering and a law degree ha.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2022, 04:23:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Only if you love it.

Patent bar?

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 04:40:25 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm a CPA.  Work in public accounting for a small/midsize firm in Chicago.  Got my bachelors in accounting and have a masters degree in taxation.  I've been working in tax compliance since my mid 20s.  In the past 3-4 years, I've transitioned more into tax controversy which deals with tax notices, audits, etc. so I'm constantly dealing with the IRS (so the IRS comments from some the past few weeks has made me chuckle) and various state & local taxation agencies.  I still do compliance with mostly flow-through entities (1065, 1120S) which I love and individuals (1040) which I find to be a necessary evil.

Like any job, it has its good days & bad days.  Mid January to mid April is always rough with busy season and we also have a mini busy season in the fall which just started and will run to mid October.  I like the fact that my job in cyclical.  I know what times of year will be busy and when it will be slow.   It's great for vacation planning.  Summers & holidays are quiet which is nice too.

Every day is different. I like that.  One day, I'm working on restaurant tax return. The next day, I might be calling the IRS to resolve a tax issue for an individual client.  My first job out of college was in fund accounting. That was monotony at its finest which I found extremely boring.    The world of tax is constantly changing.  It keeps you on your toes but I also like that. 

I'm really enjoying the tax controversy work.  You're presented a problem and you need to figure out a way to solve it.   As crazy as it sounds, I like working with the IRS and states to resolve issues.  I like helping people and making a difference there. 

I grew up in a restaurant family.  My father owned and operated a couple of restaurants in the Worcester area. I started working there first as a busboy & host then eventually in the kitchen as a line cook.  Growing up, people always asked me if I wanted to take over when I got older.  I saw the wear & tear on my dad and knew it wasn't for me.  Lots of challenges. He was also able to see the changing nature of the restaurant industry and retired in 2015.  So glad he didn't have to go through Covid with the restaurants.

Public taxation isn't for everyone when it comes to accounting.  I've thought about industry.  The hours & perks tend to be better but I'm put off by the fear of going back to the monotony.  I love the firm I'm with and the people I work with.  It's a career path I'm happy with.   However, dream job would be to own a running store and host fun runs & road races.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2022, 10:42:53 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
What a Great Question! I have been following this site for many many years. I never felt comfortable talking about what I do.  I am a cameraman and editor. I have worked with ESPN for over 26 years. I started a company doing ESPN work and was lucky enough to get some great people working with me.
I actually had Ray Allen as a client when he lived in CT.  I shot behind the scenes for his Ray of Hope for many years.  I was lucky enough to meet many of my favorite players and shot interviews with more people than I can remember. I actual got to hang out with KC Jones one night when I was shooting for the Ray of Hope, We talked about the championships and I acted like a school kid.
I absolutely love what I do, I feel so blessed. I never got really rich, but I make a good living.  I never really cared about the money, I just have always loved doing what I do. There was always a saying in the TV sports world. Act like you have been here before.  Which I guess is, people are all just people. No matter how famous they are, they aren't that different than anyone else.  I was never allowed to get autographs with the job, but I have the memories!!

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2022, 08:00:15 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is a really interesting topic but I have a different perspective. I'm going to turn 65 in February so I've been thinking about retirement, what that actually means, and whether I am satisfied with how my career went.

My dad was a scientist and I always wanted to be a scientist, and work in a lab. I did that. I earned by Ph.D. in chemistry and worked in pharma/biotech running various labs for 17 years (until 2005). My career then underwent a shift to a related field (but still biotech) of Regulatory Affairs, which is consists of interacting with FDA to get products developed and approved for human use. I don't "do science" anymore, but I work with scientists and engineers on a daily basis.  I actually love it because it keeps me in science but leverages my excellent written and verbal communication skills. SIDE NOTE: I had no idea that Regulatory Affairs even existed when my career started. It's important to keep an open mind about what you are trained for vs. what opportunities may exist for your career path.

Looking back, I am satisfied with how my career went. It was not only interesting and stimulating and serves a worthy cause (health care), it also has been quite fruitful as my annual earnings have allowed me to support my family and ALL our financial needs.

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2022, 09:29:04 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Love my job--I own a Record Store...Best job ever, if you like Vinyl and being your own boss.

I've basically been retired for years--meaning I only work 3 hours a day.

When you like what you do, it's not work.

Did that for 15 years!  Absolutely loved it, but way too seasonal where I live.  Very much enjoy collecting now.   Where's your biz?

I just started selling on Whatnot.  If you're not on there already, check it out.  I'm having a blast!  (dm me if you don't want).
Yup

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2022, 10:34:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Only if you love it.

Patent bar?
I never went that route.  Started working at a construction company in law school and did that for over a decade before pivoting the last 5 or so to a government job (no travel and excellent benefits make it easier to have a family).  I quite enjoy what I do. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2022, 09:06:26 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
i retired 2 years ago and now just have a p---ant consulting company to keep myself busy make very, very small piles of money. i consult mainly with international professionals and graduate students about universities in the US.

before retirement i had two lives. the first was as a professor in public universities. my field is politics and security in east asia, but i also taught US foreign policy. i loved teaching. it was always so satisfying to change people's brains, help them think more carefully and clearly and deeply. most people's brains have ability but very little organization or higher order thinking skills.

as a prof, i could teach those things.

my second life started when i moved over to the dark and and entered admin.  ;) i lost the personal thrill of teaching, but i gained the ability to make a difference in a lot more lives. instead of working with 20 to 30 students in a class, my offices changed the lives of thousands of people. i liked that.

my last job had me managing all the international offices for a U Texas school with 29,000 students. i loved creating programs and such. but the travel got to me.

one year i traveled to china (twice), korean (twice), japan, taiwan, thailand, Kyrgyzstan, nepal, and libya (after the revolution and before the civil war.)

after that, i lost all desire to climb into airplanes and go places. now i love being home and raising bees.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2023, 11:36:34 PM »

Offline GreenlyGreeny

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 94
I always wanted to become a medical doctor who saves lives, or a renowned economics professor, but I landed in finance because it was the path of least resistance for me. Maybe someday I’ll change that. I love what I do and I like to think I do it well—I certainly take pride in always learning, always improving, and always trying to be the best I can be. That is something, I suppose. However, I always feel like I could make a bigger difference as an MD or prof. Maybe someday, but probably not. Oh well. C’est la vie, right? 🤷‍♂️
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 11:43:01 PM by GreenlyGreeny »