Author Topic: 2022-23 College Football Thread  (Read 40287 times)

Re: 2022-23 College Football Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 29, 2022, 06:51:04 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985
Is there a reason Ohio State isn't ranked #1 despite seemingly destroying everyone they face?

I mean Alabama and Georgia sort of swapped places due to playing close games here or there but OSU stayed 2 or 3.

I assume the winner of Georgia-Tennessee will be #1 after next week, but then like does Ohio State have any way of being #1? Even if they beat Michigan later in the season I think Ohio State is just stuck at #2 or even #3 lol
Because Penn State is the 1st team with a pulse that OSU has played and 5 of their games have been at home.  Georgia destroyed Oregon and Tennessee beat Bama.  Much better wins than OSU has.

Yeah, Michigan looked much better against Penn State that’s OSU did, although admittedly at home instead of on the road.

« Reply #196 on: October 29, 2022, 06:54:35 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Kansas State obliterated Oklahoma State 48-0. 

« Reply #197 on: October 29, 2022, 08:48:03 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
2019 LSU was super-duper talented, and I think this year's Tennessee team is looking close to as good.

That LSU team with Burrow-Chase connection, and with TEN this season Hyatt is a beast and that Hooker-Hyatt connection is also electric. Hooker also has a good chance to win Heisman this season

They're my pick as of October 29 to win the CFP Title. And yes, I predict them to beat Georgia next week
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #198 on: October 29, 2022, 11:00:23 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
2019 LSU was super-duper talented, and I think this year's Tennessee team is looking close to as good.

That LSU team with Burrow-Chase connection, and with TEN this season Hyatt is a beast and that Hooker-Hyatt connection is also electric. Hooker also has a good chance to win Heisman this season

They're my pick as of October 29 to win the CFP Title. And yes, I predict them to beat Georgia next week
I'd put 2020 Bama up against 2019 LSU and I don't think this year's Tennessee is close to either. 
They're not really close to 2021 Georgia either albeit Georgia's talent was predominantly on their defense.  The talent difference will show up big time come NFL draft time. 

« Reply #199 on: November 01, 2022, 07:22:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Tennessee is 1, followed by Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, and Michigan.  Bama with the 1 loss is ahead of unbeaten TCU and Oregon is 8.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #200 on: November 01, 2022, 07:51:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tennessee is 1, followed by Ohio State, Georgia, Clemson, and Michigan.  Bama with the 1 loss is ahead of unbeaten TCU and Oregon is 8.

Seems appropriate for the moment.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #201 on: November 01, 2022, 09:15:16 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

I think Clemson is pretty overrated at 4, but it will be moot when they lose this Saturday.

« Reply #202 on: November 01, 2022, 09:25:29 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'm a bit surprised they have Georgia behind Ohio State.  I get Georgia struggled some against Missouri and even Kent St. stuck around longer than they should have, but they beat the committee's 8th ranked team 49-3.  Ohio State's best win is Penn St. who is 15th and the Buckeyes struggled for 3 quarters in that game before ending up with a massive 4th quarter.  Those are the only 2 ranked teams those 2 have played so that seems like a point that could be used in the rankings.  Tennessee has 2 top 10 wins (Bama and LSU).  They are the obvious choice for 1 at this point.  The Tennessee/Georgia game this weekend is just so big. 

« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2022, 01:00:12 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

How is Clemson ahead of Michigan??

Also I would have put TCU ahead of Alabama. But some of this stuff should sort itself out anyways. Lot of good games left and a handful of these teams play each other soon (including Georgia-Tennessee this weekend)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #204 on: November 02, 2022, 01:33:06 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Also I would have put TCU ahead of Alabama. But some of this stuff should sort itself out anyways. Lot of good games left and a handful of these teams play each other soon (including Georgia-Tennessee this weekend)

I’d put TCU ahead of Clemson too.  My 4-7 would be Michigan, TCU, Bama, Clemson.

« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2022, 01:34:14 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

3 ranked wins vs. 1 would be my guess.  As bad as the ACC is, it might actually be better from the bottom up than the Big Ten is.  Sure Ohio State and Michigan are great (or at least very good) teams, but Penn State and Illinois are the next 2 best teams and I'm not sure they are actually any better than teams like Syracuse, Wake Forest, NC St., or UNC.  And Northwestern is probably the worst team in any Power 5 conference (it is them or Colorado).  now the eye test definitely says Michigan is better as they have just been crushing everyone, while Clemson has been skating by, but they have played overall a better schedule (or at least more "good" teams).  It is all moot though because either Clemson loses or if Clemson wins out, either Michigan will win out and move ahead of Clemson or Michigan will lose to Ohio State and finish behind unbeaten Clemson.

« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2022, 01:42:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I’d put TCU ahead of Clemson too.  My 4-7 would be Michigan, TCU, Bama, Clemson.
TCU has played 2 ranked teams, KSU and OSU.  Their non-con includes Colorado (the worst or 2nd worst power 5 team, SMU a mid-tier AAC school, and a mid-tier FCS school Tarleton).  They haven't exactly been crushing teams.  They don't look like a top 5 team.  Now sure if they win out and end up unbeaten, they will almost certainly make the playoff, but I think they'd lose to Clemson and I'm not sure it would be particularly close.

« Reply #207 on: November 02, 2022, 01:47:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

I don't know what to make of Clemson.  My girlfriend did her undergrad at Clemson (Masters at UGA so she is currently undefeated which is ridiculous) so I've been forced to watch most of their games.  They're pretty up & down.  Dominant at times then downright pedestrian & teetering at other times.  I feel like we have a good handle on the SEC & Big Ten teams but Clemson is an enigma to me right now. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2022, 01:50:00 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

3 ranked wins vs. 1 would be my guess.  As bad as the ACC is, it might actually be better from the bottom up than the Big Ten is.  Sure Ohio State and Michigan are great (or at least very good) teams, but Penn State and Illinois are the next 2 best teams and I'm not sure they are actually any better than teams like Syracuse, Wake Forest, NC St., or UNC.  And Northwestern is probably the worst team in any Power 5 conference (it is them or Colorado).  now the eye test definitely says Michigan is better as they have just been crushing everyone, while Clemson has been skating by, but they have played overall a better schedule (or at least more "good" teams).  It is all moot though because either Clemson loses or if Clemson wins out, either Michigan will win out and move ahead of Clemson or Michigan will lose to Ohio State and finish behind unbeaten Clemson.

Penn State and Illinois are definitely better than NC State, Syracuse, and Wake Forest.  Wake Forest being ranked is a joke — talk about cruising on a bad non-conference schedule, they had Army, Liberty, Vanderbilt (who also deserves mention in the worst P5 team conversation), and VMI, which is a 1-7 FCS team.  They play that non-conference and get blown out by a mediocre conference opponent, and still get ranked?  Come on.  Maryland is as good as any of those three teams, and will be ranked next week.

It should also be noted in the non-conference schedule conversation that the Big 10 plays 9 conference games, whereas the SEC and ACC each play 8, so you’d hope those teams would have better non-conference schedules given they have an extra game to schedule a P5 opponent.

« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2022, 02:15:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Penn State and Syracuse both played Purdue.  They both won by basically a FG.  Now Penn St was in Indiana while Cuse was at home, but that is the only common opponent and I'm not sure it really can be used as a separator.  I just don't think there is a whole lot of difference between those 2 teams and there isn't a whole lot you can glean from their non-conference schedules other than PSU played 2 MAC schools and Auburn (who is obviously very bad this year) while Syracuse had Purdue, Notre Dame, UConn, and FCS Wagner in its non-con.