Author Topic: NBA showcases three Celtics having great handles…  (Read 2975 times)

Re: NBA showcases three Celtics having great handles…
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 06:56:57 PM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
It's a highlight reel....not indicative of who in the NBA has the best handles. Mason Plumlee checks in at #19 so....

It would be embarrassing if our best players didn't make it on.

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 08:25:29 PM »

Offline djsway104

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think his handle is better than 95% of the league. Maybe more. Most of his turnovers are not due to a bad handle but due to bad decision making. Make better decisions, which lead to so many less turnovers and everyone would rave about his handle. I actually think he has a better handle than Tatum. Tatum makes better decisions.
That move was filthy and is Top 1

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2022, 09:00:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Jaylen does not have good handles. He's certainly not one of the top dribblers in the league. How many times did he dribble the ball off his foot or leg in just the postseason? Way too many.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2022, 09:54:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I think his handle is better than 95% of the league. Maybe more. Most of his turnovers are not due to a bad handle but due to bad decision making. Make better decisions, which lead to so many less turnovers and everyone would rave about his handle. I actually think he has a better handle than Tatum. Tatum makes better decisions.
Yeah, I've been saying for years the problem isn't Jaylen's handle, it's his decision making and ability to read the defense. He's gotten better at both but the Finals was really a perfect example of what I'm talking about. He wasn't losing dribbles, he was picking up his dribble when he had no shot and no outlet and then he'd throw it away, or he'd try to get fancy when he had the opposition's best perimeter defender on him.

The problems aren't of skill, they're bad choices.

But he's getting better.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2022, 10:43:33 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
It's a highlight reel....not indicative of who in the NBA has the best handles. Mason Plumlee checks in at #19 so....

It would be embarrassing if our best players didn't make it on.

I agree with part 1, but not sure about part 2. I remember when I used to watch this stuff Lebron was at the height of his powers, and would be on the top 5 for some dinky little dunk some weeks just beacuse he is Lebron James

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2022, 03:38:22 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Absolutely not. 0.95 x 450 = 427.5. Let's say top 25 handle in the league.

I can quite easily list more 40 players with a better handle than Brown.

Trae, DeJounte Murray, Kyrie, Marcus Smart, Brogdon, Tatum, Simmons, Rozier, Ball x 2, Garland, Doncic, Jamal Murray, Dinwiddie, Lavine, DeRozan, Kevin Durant, Curry, Cunningham, Poole, Haliburton, McConnell, Morant, Wall, Lowry, Reggie Jackson, Oladipo, LeBron, Jimmy Butler, Paul George, Brunson, CJ McCollum, Lillard, Jrue Holiday, D'Angelo Russell, Devonte Graham, SGA, Chris Paul, Devin Booker, Donovan Mitchell, James Harden, Tyrese Maxey, De'Aaron Fox, FVV, and Mike Conley.

That is about 45, just from a cursory glance at starting calibre ball-handlers. I could probably go on.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2022, 06:45:36 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
A highlight level dribbling play has very little correlation to a player being a consistently good ballhandler.  Sometimes when Brown's dribbling moves work, I see it as pretty lucky that he didn't cough up the ball.  He's a very good player but ballhandling is probably his biggest weakness, not a strength.