Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 60142 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #510 on: August 11, 2022, 12:24:44 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
With so much love of keeping JB, I just hope LAL wont be the ones who would acquire KD. KD playing alongside LBJ and AD would be a very formidable trio to beat. They need each other (as the two are in their past prime yet very relevant status/condition) to have a legitimate shot at the title.

Westbrook salary could be utilized to match KD's. Other teams (Miami?) could facilitate it. I'm hoping Tsai won't allow it to happen. But then...

What assets do the Lakers have?  Salary filler + two #1s isn't going to get it done.

A third team that facilitates the transaction is crucial. That could be their approach.

Yeah, been hearing KD to LA as a very possible destination from some analysts. Hope that's false but...you never know with the land of Hollywood that attracts stars and celebrities.
There is no 3rd team available.  if the Lakers acquire Durant it is for Davis or James.

Yeah, how would facilitation work?  The Lakers only have Lebron, Davis and two #1s as assets.

A three-team trade, four maybe. Westbrook (of all players!) salary could be used to match. There were news in the recent days of teams not wanting to facilitate a KD trade. This could be the route they may take on.

« Reply #511 on: August 11, 2022, 12:30:13 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
With so much love of keeping JB, I just hope LAL wont be the ones who would acquire KD. KD playing alongside LBJ and AD would be a very formidable trio to beat. They need each other (as the two are in their past prime yet very relevant status/condition) to have a legitimate shot at the title.

Westbrook salary could be utilized to match KD's. Other teams (Miami?) could facilitate it. I'm hoping Tsai won't allow it to happen. But then...

What assets do the Lakers have?  Salary filler + two #1s isn't going to get it done.

A third team that facilitates the transaction is crucial. That could be their approach.

Yeah, been hearing KD to LA as a very possible destination from some analysts. Hope that's false but...you never know with the land of Hollywood that attracts stars and celebrities.
There is no 3rd team available.  if the Lakers acquire Durant it is for Davis or James.

Yeah, how would facilitation work?  The Lakers only have Lebron, Davis and two #1s as assets.

A three-team trade, four maybe. Westbrook (of all players!) salary could be used to match. There were news in the recent days of teams not wanting to facilitate a KD trade. This could be the route they may take on.

Finding 4 teams all with vested interests is going to be a stretch. Especially when one of the big contracts is a salary dump.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #512 on: August 11, 2022, 12:30:30 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 985

There’s no way random players other teams want to salary dump plus two firsts will get it done for KD.  None at all.

« Reply #513 on: August 11, 2022, 04:38:33 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730
I don't believe that source.
Careful about taking everything you read in the media seriously on rumors. Especially out of NY.
I suspect there is resistance in the NY media on trading KD to nemesis Boston.

The impression I got from Sports Edge was the Nets had backed off from Brown + Smart, which was unrealistic.
The negotiations, if there are any, are now centered on Brown plus lesser players in a package.
Brown is still the best player being offered for KD by any team. The Nets owner is tuned to that.

I still don't think this is a great trade for the Celtics. KD is no longer in his prime.
The big concern is Brown might not re-sign in Boston.

I believe that two years down the road, while Jaylen Brown may consider other options, he will be much more likely to re-up with the Celtics and remain in Boston than for Durant, at the end of that same time period, to stay invested and committed to the Celtics even with the two years left on his contract. In other words, the chances that Durant breaks bad and creates a destructive team drama is more likely to happen than for Jaylen Brown to opt out of Boston in search of greener pastures.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #514 on: August 11, 2022, 08:49:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Today's Durant fan-fiction reports:

There’s good reason for pessimism, Durant’s ultimatum to Nets owner Joe Tsai did not light a fire under trade talks. If anything, it made it far less likely a deal gets done in the short term. — why would Boston improve its offer now? It robbed the Nets of leverage. For example, Brooklyn was trying to get Boston to put Smart in the trade, but why would they even consider it now? That said, even without Smart (or Robert Williams III, sources told NBC Sports he is not available), a Celtics offer with Jaylen Brown may be the best one the Nets will see. – via Kurt Helin @ NBC Sports

Chris Mannix: I had one executive who was not involved in the Durant sweepstakes say to me ‘if the Nets don’t have the stomach to bring him to training camp, they should find a way to do a deal with Boston because they’re not going to get a better player in a deal than Jaylen Brown’.

Ric Bucher: I’m told that they wanted to trade Kyrie midway through this past season, and KD told them absolutely not. And they went along with it. Now, I’ve also been told while they’re still good friends, that maybe KD doesn’t value him quite the same way as a teammate. I’m not so sure about that.

And, an added bonus Kyrie rumor that I'm skeptical of (because Bucher) but I'll believe it anyway (because Kyrie):

Ric Bucher: Joe Tsai has already shown he’s willing to play hardball with Kyrie by taking a max extension off the table almost immediately. Now, part of that may be Kyrie’ doing. I’m told he wanted his new contract to guarantee he wouldn’t have to play more than 60 games in a season and would not have to play any back the backs which he apparently referred to as inhumane.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #515 on: August 11, 2022, 08:54:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

There’s good reason for pessimism, Durant’s ultimatum to Nets owner Joe Tsai did not light a fire under trade talks. If anything, it made it far less likely a deal gets done in the short term. — why would Boston improve its offer now? It robbed the Nets of leverage. For example, Brooklyn was trying to get Boston to put Smart in the trade, but why would they even consider it now? That said, even without Smart (or Robert Williams III, sources told NBC Sports he is not available), a Celtics offer with Jaylen Brown may be the best one the Nets will see. – via Kurt Helin @ NBC Sports

Chris Mannix: I had one executive who was not involved in the Durant sweepstakes say to me ‘if the Nets don’t have the stomach to bring him to training camp, they should find a way to do a deal with Boston because they’re not going to get a better player in a deal than Jaylen Brown’.

Ric Bucher: I’m told that they wanted to trade Kyrie midway through this past season, and KD told them absolutely not. And they went along with it. Now, I’ve also been told while they’re still good friends, that maybe KD doesn’t value him quite the same way as a teammate. I’m not so sure about that.

And, an added bonus Kyrie rumor that I'm skeptical of (because Bucher) but I'll believe it anyway (because Kyrie):

Ric Bucher: Joe Tsai has already shown he’s willing to play hardball with Kyrie by taking a max extension off the table almost immediately. Now, part of that may be Kyrie’ doing. I’m told he wanted his new contract to guarantee he wouldn’t have to play more than 60 games in a season and would not have to play any back the backs which he apparently referred to as inhumane.
JKJB and let the Nets wallow in their self-made misery

« Reply #516 on: August 11, 2022, 09:11:50 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yeah, I can't see how any of this would make someone want Durant on the Celtics.  I don't think it is a stretch to pose the question, who is going to be more valuable over the next 4 years, Brown or Durant?  I know, Brown may bolt but Durant may quit.  Just assume both play for one team for the entire 4 years.  Good chance both are good but I'll take Brown.

« Reply #517 on: August 11, 2022, 09:15:40 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yeah, I can't see how any of this would make someone want Durant on the Celtics.  I don't think it is a stretch to pose the question, who is going to be more valuable over the next 4 years, Brown or Durant?  I know, Brown may bolt but Durant may quit.  Just assume both play for one team for the entire 4 years.  Good chance both are good but I'll take Brown.
If you told me that Durant and Brown would both play at least 4 years, then Durant is the better option because he is a significantly better player right now and that very easily could mean the difference between winning a title or not.  Now sure, 4 years from now Brown will almost certainly be better than Durant, but I don't think Brown will be better than Durant is right now.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #518 on: August 11, 2022, 09:32:46 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I've come up with the perfect solution to make everybody happy.

Jaylen + White + #1 for Durant + Curry

Then, in the summer of 2024, JB comes out as a double agent and forces a sign and trade to Boston for Durant.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #519 on: August 11, 2022, 09:39:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I've come up with the perfect solution to make everybody happy.

Jaylen + White + #1 for Durant + Curry

Then, in the summer of 2024, JB comes out as a double agent and forces a sign and trade to Boston for Durant.
I'll take it  ;D

« Reply #520 on: August 11, 2022, 09:48:20 AM »

Offline bricone29

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
I can't believe people are still contemplating this after Durant threw his coach and front office under the bus and the fact that the Nets are still butt hurt over the Garnett/Pierce trade.

My favorite far fetch scenario:
1.Nets trade Durant to Kings for a bunch of draft picks and whatever player or two.
2. Durant gets all sulky, plays a few games then finds some kind of injury where he's out for the rest of season because he's pouty.
3.Kings play above .500 ball making draft picks mediocre.
4. Kings actually start playing like contenders. Durant now decides he's healthy enough since team is playing so well.
5. Durant plays well for a few games then gets a legit injury and is out for the season.
6. Kings have a great regular season but fail in the playoffs.
7. Durant retires at the end of his 4 year contract, collecting every penny while playing only a handful or so games.
8. None of the picks the Nets received from Kings pan out.
9. Celtics win back to back championships during this time.
10. Kylie falls off the edge of the Earth while trying to find Nirvana.

« Reply #521 on: August 11, 2022, 10:09:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I can't believe people are still contemplating this after Durant threw his coach and front office under the bus and the fact that the Nets are still butt hurt over the Garnett/Pierce trade.

My favorite far fetch scenario:
1.Nets trade Durant to Kings for a bunch of draft picks and whatever player or two.
2. Durant gets all sulky, plays a few games then finds some kind of injury where he's out for the rest of season because he's pouty.
3.Kings play above .500 ball making draft picks mediocre.
4. Kings actually start playing like contenders. Durant now decides he's healthy enough since team is playing so well.
5. Durant plays well for a few games then gets a legit injury and is out for the season.
6. Kings have a great regular season but fail in the playoffs.
7. Durant retires at the end of his 4 year contract, collecting every penny while playing only a handful or so games.
8. None of the picks the Nets received from Kings pan out.
9. Celtics win back to back to back to back championships during this time.
10. Kylie falls off the edge of the Earth while trying to find Nirvana.
fixed it for you since it's a 4 year contract after all

« Reply #522 on: August 11, 2022, 10:38:11 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I really believe Stevens was going to trade Brown for Durant then all the backlash came & he back out
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #523 on: August 11, 2022, 10:46:15 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I really believe Stevens was going to trade Brown for Durant then all the backlash came & he back out

I think Brad is like Danny:  I don't think he cares about backlash from the fans or media. 

Maybe Wyc or Pags care, but I think they're looking at a ton of revenue either way, so I think they'll let Brad do his job.

« Reply #524 on: August 11, 2022, 11:02:08 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't.  I think Brooklyn was and probably still is asking for more than he is willing to give up.  When the price comes down, Durant will be a Celtic.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip