Poll

Would you trade Brown + White + #1 for Durant?

Yes
13 (28.9%)
No
32 (71.1%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Celtics / Durant rumor  (Read 61968 times)

Re: New Celtics / Durant rumor
« Reply #405 on: August 09, 2022, 11:01:41 AM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Denver may have all the pieces to get Durant

A lot of teams have the pieces, but no one wants him for anywhere near the price the Nets are asking.  If there were teams who wanted to pony up, it’d be a done deal.  But outside of some message board posters, no one really thinks that what the Nets want makes any sense if you’re trying to build a team.

I think the Celtics are one of the few teams that could come close to the Nets asking price, and still have a dominant team left over.

I just don't think they have any desire to bid against themselves.  Until another team can beat Brown + White + #1, why add Smart, Grant and another first?

I keep going back to my original thought.  Brown is 9 years younger, on a lighter contract with a less severe injury history.  Why is Durant worth more than Brown?  Durant is more talented today, but most teams that are looking to start over would give up Durant and then some to get someone like Brown.  I don't understand why our offer has to be that high.

Given that Miami will not give up Bam and Phoenix cannot trade Ayton, that only leaves Toronto with a chance and they are not trading Barnes.  Brown is better than all 3 previously mentioned, so there is no reason to put him in the trade.

I think the Celts should walk, but if they want to put in a token offer, try the Williamses and Pritchard and some picks with a possible salary filler.

« Reply #406 on: August 09, 2022, 11:04:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559
There are several teams that I think could work for Durant.  the criteria are basically a contender with Durant and pieces for the Nets.

Picks (amount varies) and other lesser pieces like Curry could be involved

Boston - the Brown centered ideas
Miami - Bam to a 3rd team, Herro, picks - they can even add in Lowry and take back Irving
Toronto - Siakam, OG, Tren
Denver - Porter, Murray
Golden State - Wiggins to 3rd team, Kuminga, Wiseman
Memphis - Jackson, Bane, Brooks
Atlanta - Collins, Okongwu, Bogdan
New Orleans - Ingram, Jones, Hayes, Lewis, Murphy
Oklahoma City - Dort, Giddey, Bazley, Poku, Williams, Mann (and like 10 1st's)
Chicago - LaVine, Ball, White (they take back Harris)

and just for fun
Los Angeles - Davis, Westbrook for Durant, Irving
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #407 on: August 09, 2022, 11:07:47 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Denver may have all the pieces to get Durant

A lot of teams have the pieces, but no one wants him for anywhere near the price the Nets are asking.  If there were teams who wanted to pony up, it’d be a done deal.  But outside of some message board posters, no one really thinks that what the Nets want makes any sense if you’re trying to build a team.

I think the Celtics are one of the few teams that could come close to the Nets asking price, and still have a dominant team left over.

I just don't think they have any desire to bid against themselves.  Until another team can beat Brown + White + #1, why add Smart, Grant and another first?

I keep going back to my original thought.  Brown is 9 years younger, on a lighter contract with a less severe injury history.  Why is Durant worth more than Brown? Durant is more talented today, but most teams that are looking to start over would give up Durant and then some to get someone like Brown.  I don't understand why our offer has to be that high.

Given that Miami will not give up Bam and Phoenix cannot trade Ayton, that only leaves Toronto with a chance and they are not trading Barnes.  Brown is better than all 3 previously mentioned, so there is no reason to put him in the trade.

I think the Celts should walk, but if they want to put in a token offer, try the Williamses and Pritchard and some picks with a possible salary filler.

Answering just the highlighted question, it's a matter of Durant being currently better, and JB being under team control for only two more years.

If they were both on four year contracts, I agree, Jaylen should have higher value in a bidding war.

I'm not even sure I'd include Derrick White if we're only getting Durant back.  I think the trade still works with JB + Grant + Pritchard.  If we include White, we need to be getting Curry back to solidify the rotation.

But, my preference is to just keep JB, if he's happy.  I won't riot if we trade for Durant -- I'll definitely be excited -- but I'm also excited about a Finals team adding two really good players (and a whole bunch of useless crap, but that's a different thread.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #408 on: August 09, 2022, 11:11:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Nets did not respond to a request for comment. A message sent to Rich Kleiman, Durant’s business partner, went unanswered. A source close to the Nets organization indicated Durant is not the only Nets star unhappy with the team’s leadership. “Kyrie Irving hates these guys,” the source said. “He feels that Nash is terrible and Marks is bad.” – via Mark W. Sanchez, Josh Kosman @ New York Post

“KD came to the same conclusion,” the source added. The Nets have not found a trade offer that would prompt them to deal the all-time great, and according to the report, Tsai and the Nets have made it known they would take “every last asset from a team that trades for Durant.” In stating the lofty hope for the trade return, perhaps the Nets believe Durant would be less motivated to leave and more likely to report to September’s training camp. – via Mark W. Sanchez, Josh Kosman @ New York Post

“Joe [Tsai] has tried to make too many decisions himself,” including choosing the coach, the source said. After the Game 4 loss to Boston, Durant expressed his appreciation for Nash, whom he has consistently publicly supported, and said he was the right coach to lead the Nets into the future. “Steve’s been dealt a crazy hand the last two years,” said Durant, a two-time NBA champion with the Warriors. “He’s had to deal with so much stuff as a head coach, a first-time coach. Trades, injuries, COVID and just a lot of stuff he had to deal with. – via Mark W. Sanchez, Josh Kosman @ New York Post

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #409 on: August 09, 2022, 11:11:22 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
So watching Durant's burn everyone who did what he wanted demand, how many GM/Coaching duos want to take that chance on?   

I mean if they are desperate, sure.

It is astonishing to me to see how all the lines that were crossed and the resulting the meltdown of Brooklyn only seems to be weighed heavily by a minority of posts in this thread.

Brooklyn played this out in front of everyone. They got everything into place. They have been destroyed in the course of a single year, and yet a majority of fans, media and posters continue to see Durant as a clear way to a championship.

This Ringer story does a good job of framing just how crazy this all is:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/8/9/23298034/kevin-durant-trade-request-rumors

« Reply #410 on: August 09, 2022, 11:16:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
So watching Durant's burn everyone who did what he wanted demand, how many GM/Coaching duos want to take that chance on?   

It is astonishing to me to see how all the lines that were crossed and the resulting the meltdown of Brooklyn only seems to be weighed heavily by a minority of posts in this thread.

Brooklyn played this out in front of everyone. They got everything into place. They have been destroyed in the course of a single year, and yet a majority of fans, media and posters continue to see Durant as a clear way to a championship.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/8/9/23298034/kevin-durant-trade-request-rumors

Eh.  Durant went to an unstable situation and joined up with two prima donnas.  Predictably, that blew up in everybody's face.  When he had a full team, though, the Nets were extremely good, and then almost took down the Bucks despite being short-handed. 

A few years earlier, Durant went to a stable situation and joined up with multiple other stars.  Predictably, that team won a couple of titles, and would have won a third if not for injuries.

Which situation are the Celtics closer to?  A stable situation that Durant can fit into, or a chaotic one that is going to waste his talents?

« Reply #411 on: August 09, 2022, 11:20:11 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993

Eh.  Durant went to an unstable situation and joined up with two prima donnas.  Predictably, that blew up in everybody's face.  When he had a full team, though, the Nets were extremely good, and then almost took down the Bucks despite being short-handed. 

A few years earlier, Durant went to a stable situation and joined up with multiple other stars.  Predictably, that team won a couple of titles, and would have won a third if not for injuries.

Which situation are the Celtics closer to?  A stable situation that Durant can fit into, or a chaotic one that is going to waste his talents?

While true, even in year three in Golden State he’d turned it into a messy situation.  The Warriors were title-quality without KD, so they could rise above it until all the injuries in the finals, but even after winning two titles KD was still discontented.

« Reply #412 on: August 09, 2022, 11:34:59 AM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Still.....No denials from the C's front office. KD will be ours once the Nets realize we have the best and only deal.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #413 on: August 09, 2022, 11:35:24 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I am shocked people still want Durant the way this is unfolding. The guy destroys teams, he isn't as vocal as Kyrie but he is essentially the same exact dude.
Furthermore I am shocked the asking price Brooklyn still has seeing they have no leverage whatsoever at this point.

Please JKJB!

« Reply #414 on: August 09, 2022, 11:47:14 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3207
I am shocked people still want Durant the way this is unfolding. The guy destroys teams, he isn't as vocal as Kyrie but he is essentially the same exact dude.
Furthermore I am shocked the asking price Brooklyn still has seeing they have no leverage whatsoever at this point.

Please JKJB!

I agree. If Durant were to come here I'd want it to be to pair with JT&JB. A staring lineup of Brogdon, Brown, Tatum, KD, and TIMELORD is a fearsome lineup!

« Reply #415 on: August 09, 2022, 11:48:25 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Brooklyn wasn't unstable at all pre-Durant.

GS was one of the most uniquely mature and positive teams in sports with Curry, Thompson and Kerr. It just took Durant a little longer to find a way to be unhappy.

So, yeah, maybe you can talk yourself into the idea that the C's have enough cultural depth to hold it together for a couple of years like GS did, but if we send out two of the guys that have the strongest character on the team, maybe that won't hold up.

Tatum is our best player, but the team's competitive personality comes from Smart first and Brown second.

« Reply #416 on: August 09, 2022, 11:57:45 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2426
So the owner sided with his GM and coach over Durant. What an idiot!

I really hope Durant sticks to his guns and makes them pay.

« Reply #417 on: August 09, 2022, 11:58:44 AM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395

GS was one of the most uniquely mature and positive teams in sports with Curry, Thompson and Kerr. It just took Durant a little longer to find a way to be unhappy.

So, yeah, maybe you can talk yourself into the idea that the C's have enough cultural depth to hold it together for a couple of years like GS did, but if we send out two of the guys that have the strongest character on the team, maybe that won't hold up.

Tatum is our best player, but the team's competitive personality comes from Smart first and Brown second.

What am I missing with GSW? How did Durant ruin that franchise? Legit question because I saw a guy who played like the best player on the floor and won Finals MVP back to back before getting hurt.

And Brooklyn pre-KD was stable… but then they replaced their head coach and traded everyone to acquire Harden. So yeah, a lot of the “stable” parts from the pre-KD era was pretty much gone.

- LilRip

« Reply #418 on: August 09, 2022, 12:00:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

What was stable about Brooklyn?  2020 was treated as a transition year, as Durant missed the entire season rehabbing and Kyrie only played 20 games.  The coach was fired during the season.  Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, Garrett Temple and Caris LaVert were all starters for a bulk of the season.  By the time Durant was healthy, those guys were all gone, as was the interim coach.  The guys who were on both the 2020 and 2021 roster (after the Harden trade 12 games in) were Kyrie, Jordan, Dinwiddie (3 games before getting hurt) and Harris.

Durant's years in Brooklyn were filled with roster turnover, coaching changes, injuries and flakiness. 

« Reply #419 on: August 09, 2022, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1559

What was stable about Brooklyn?  2020 was treated as a transition year, as Durant missed the entire season rehabbing and Kyrie only played 20 games.  The coach was fired during the season.  Jarrett Allen, Taurean Prince, Garrett Temple and Caris LaVert were all starters for a bulk of the season.  By the time Durant was healthy, those guys were all gone, as was the interim coach.  The guys who were on both the 2020 and 2021 roster (after the Harden trade 12 games in) were Kyrie, Jordan, Dinwiddie (3 games before getting hurt) and Harris.

Durant's years in Brooklyn were filled with roster turnover, coaching changes, injuries and flakiness.
I think the argument he was making was Brooklyn had a good young coach and a lot of solid quality young player depth that should have supplemented Durant and Irving, but as a result of Durant and Irving not being happy, the coach was fired and the young solid depth was traded for Harden (along with a whole heck of a lot of future draft picks).  That it was Durant and Irving that created the instability.  I'm not sure I entirely agree, but the Nets were 42-40 the year before Durant and Irving arrived with a rotation that was mostly in its early to mid 20's so you can see how that could be considered stable.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip