Author Topic: How good would this team be?  (Read 2999 times)

How good would this team be?
« on: June 30, 2022, 10:02:47 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sign:  Gallinari

Trade for:  Josh Richardson

Sign: Best center available for minimum (potential options:  Ibaka, Lopez, Cousins, Dedmon, Biyombo, Dieng)

Timelord / Theis / FA
Horford / Gallinari / Hauser
Tatum / G. Williams / Nesmith
Brown / Richardson
Smart / White / Pritchard

In terms of payroll, we're at about $149.77 million, not counting free agents or scrubs on non-guaranteed deals.

Let's assume that Hauser and the free agent center cost $1.84 million each.

Gallinari signs for the T-MLE:  $6.48 million

Richardson costs $12.2 million.

Total payroll:  $172.13 million

We'd be approximately $21.863 over the tax.  Penalties would be approximately $52 million.

Total payroll + luxury tax penalties:  $224.13 million

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: How good would this team be?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 10:15:11 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467

Sign: Best center available for minimum (potential options:  Ibaka, Lopez, Cousins, Dedmon, Biyombo, Dieng)

Timelord / Theis / FA
Brown / Richardson

In terms of payroll, we're at about $149.77 million, not counting free agents or scrubs on non-guaranteed deals.

We'd be approximately $21.863 over the tax.  Penalties would be approximately $52 million.

That is a very realistic offseason.  If that were this years team I think we'd have won.  Next years team will depend on Tatum and Brown taking another leap.  White improving his shooting, Timelord staying healthy and Al having a little more juice left in the tank.  That's a lot of if's.  I will say I feel this year was a golden opportunity.  I'm not sure the team above can beat Milwaukee.  Now Give me TJ Warren over one of those two above and another shooter then we are talking.  The key to next seasons is having depth off of the bench that can get a bucket.  A guy like Lou Williams used to be.  20 minutes can equal 20pts on any give night.  The J's played too many minutes because they had to.  A guy like TJ if healthy can take a lot of the load off of them. 

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 10:30:57 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I like it.  I'm in favor of not making any huge moves, just letting our current core continuing to develop.  These moves do that while also patching a few cracks.  Just make sure we save a roster spot for Malik Fitts.  :)
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 10:32:56 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I think that team is a legitimate contender and deeper than our team last year. We will probably be looking at a similar type team to that one (though the exact names might be different). Ultimately, it will come down to the progression of Tatum, Brown, Smart, etc. whether we can push all the way through to a title with another year of experience and some added depth to help along the way.

The only way we can really elevate clearly above the Milwaukee/Miami/Philly/Brooklyn (who knows?) tier is if we push a major package of future picks onto the table (like the Atlanta Murray deal) for a significant difference-maker. My sense is that is not the path we will be taking, so we are likely looking at an offseason like this one, and it's going to be on the Jays to elevate their game for us to take the next step.

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 10:44:36 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
One concern I have with this roster is our ability to defend Giannis which is big as I perceive Milwaukee as our main threat in the East next season.  With Horford 1 year older, Grant Williams hopefully 1 year improved, and Gallinari added, is this roster better or worse equipped to defend Giannis next season?  I'd have to say worse.  I like the team overall, but that's a concern.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 11:26:07 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
One concern I have with this roster is our ability to defend Giannis which is big as I perceive Milwaukee as our main threat in the East next season.  With Horford 1 year older, Grant Williams hopefully 1 year improved, and Gallinari added, is this roster better or worse equipped to defend Giannis next season?  I'd have to say worse.  I like the team overall, but that's a concern.

That's a fair point.  I think that Tatum, Grant and a healthier Timelord would have to step up into that role.  My ideal trade target is Harrison Barnes -- who I think has the mobility and size to help throw a body at GA -- but I don't think he'll be traded this summer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 11:40:27 AM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67

That's a fair point.  I think that Tatum, Grant and a healthier Timelord would have to step up into that role.  My ideal trade target is Harrison Barnes -- who I think has the mobility and size to help throw a body at GA -- but I don't think he'll be traded this summer.

I don't really think we're going to do much better than having a quartet of Horford, Grant, Tatum, Smart to rotate on Giannis (with Timelord and Jaylen less optimal matchups that get switched onto him at times). There aren't many, if any, teams in the league that have more possible matchups to throw at Giannis than us. He's just an unstoppable force.

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 11:53:46 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Timelord / Theis / FA
Brown / Richardson

that wouldn't be a bad offseason at all.  it's better than I think we'll do but if Brad made that happen I'd be pretty pleased.  not sure if any of those center options are helpful -- either they were good and may have nothing left in the tank or just weren't all that great to begin with.

Richardson and Gallinari definitely help with the scoring.  not sure how Gallinari will do in the defensive scheme but hopefully he won't be a glaring weak point the other team will focus on.

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 12:30:20 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like it.  I'm in favor of not making any huge moves, just letting our current core continuing to develop.  These moves do that while also patching a few cracks.  Just make sure we save a roster spot for Malik Fitts.  :)
I actually don't care deeply about how good would this team be, you HAVE TO keep Malik Fitts.  He is by far, BY FAR, the best towel-waving mime the team has ever had. Some of his moves are downright funny. I get enjoyment out of his antics every game.

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 12:37:19 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
not sure if any of those center options are helpful -- either they were good and may have nothing left in the tank or just weren't all that great to begin with

Yeah, it's hard to predict what types of guys are going to be available at the minimum.  Most of the guys are listed are pure depth.

Anybody in love with Mike Muscula as a third stringer?  He can shoot lights out, but isn't much of a contributor elsewhere.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 12:58:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
not sure if any of those center options are helpful -- either they were good and may have nothing left in the tank or just weren't all that great to begin with

Yeah, it's hard to predict what types of guys are going to be available at the minimum.  Most of the guys are listed are pure depth.

Anybody in love with Mike Muscula as a third stringer?  He can shoot lights out, but isn't much of a contributor elsewhere.

I have always liked Mike Muscala as deep bench depth. I thought he played well in Atlanta and later in Philly. I never understood why those teams did not keep him around; why they did not value him. He did his job and about as reliably as you can hope a borderline rotation player be able to do so.

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 07:00:38 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I prefer the upside of Jalen Smith over Gallinari.

Taking back J-Rich better come with a pick back.

But that team is still better than nothing. See it as a minimum effort off season.

Edit add: Could it be Smith with TaxMLe and vet min for Gallinari?

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 07:27:05 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why?

He's a player that fits well here and who has a reasonable expiring contract.  Why wouldn't he have positive value?

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2022, 08:21:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Why?

He's a player that fits well here and who has a reasonable expiring contract.  Why wouldn't he have positive value?
Rather use TPE on a bigger wing and give more minutes to PP/White/Nesmith. If you aren't getting a need with the TPE you better be getting a pick back.

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2022, 08:26:41 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Why?

Rather use TPE on a bigger wing and give more minutes to PP/White/Nesmith. If you aren't getting a need with the TPE you better be getting a pick back.

Richardson can play SF, though.  There are guys with better size, but are there guys with better size who defend as well as Richardson that are available?