Author Topic: Happy 20th Anniversary to '02 ECF Game 3  (Read 1489 times)

Happy 20th Anniversary to '02 ECF Game 3
« on: May 25, 2022, 12:32:27 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
May 25, 2002. Nets-Celtics Game 3. One of the greatest comebacks in NBA history.

I was in college and living in Brighton that spring/summer between junior & senior year.  My buddy & I had bought the playoff strip for those playoffs and that run just kept going and going.  He ended up breaking his leg right before the conference finals and couldn't got to Game 3 so I took my dad.

Hard to believe its been 20 years. I will still maintain that is the loudest crowd I've ever heard in the TD Garden.  Louder than anything during the '08 title run.  Just an insane comeback.

Still hate Jason Kidd all these years later too.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 01:02:23 PM by Donoghus »

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary to '02 ECF Game 3
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 12:49:53 PM »

Offline nebist

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 67
I would say a modern equivalent to that 20-point 4th quarter comeback would be coming back down 30 at the start of the 4th today. I remember thinking there was NO chance we could win that game (until they showed the clip of Antoine giving Piece the business between quarters).

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 12:53:13 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25635
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That's one of my favorite games of all time.  I still remember where I was watching from.  The Captain was unbelievable.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 01:08:24 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
I remember that I was on a flight to Ft. Lauderdale. I got on the flight and I think the game just started or about to start. I didn't watch it on the flight, I don't think TVs were prevalent in economy back then.  We touched down in Ft. Lauderdale and found out it was the greatest game and it was a remarkable comeback by Pierce, Antoine, Delk, Rodgers, Kenny Anderson, and the ORIGINAL Batman - Tony Battie.

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2022, 01:11:01 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I had a few buddies over to watch this one.  They started to lose interest because the C's were getting killed, "let's go do something else."  I was adamant we need to keep watching because the C's still have time to come back.  And years later they still give me credit for it.  "We wanted to leave, but you still believed!"

One of my favorite Celtics memories.

And for those of you hating the constant 8:30pm EST start time for these Conference Finals games, check the schedule for that '02 Conference Finals.

5:30pm
8:30pm
9:00pm
7:00pm

How nice would that be for some of you all?  I have many fond memories (this one included, along with Reggie over Jordan and the Pacers vs Magic showdown from '95 of watching games with a bunch of people during a party at someone's house Memorial Day weekend.  I miss those afternoon Memorial Day weekend games.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2022, 03:53:35 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum

—————————

Source: NBC Sports Boston
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2022, 04:06:15 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
That game was truly amazing but shows that momentum means nothing. I thought they’d take game 4 at home because the Nets would be demoralized and the series was theirs. Turned out they didn’t win another game.

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2022, 04:18:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
May 25, 2002. Nets-Celtics Game 3. One of the greatest comebacks in NBA history.

I was in college and living in Brighton that spring/summer between junior & senior year.  My buddy & I had bought the playoff strip for those playoffs and that run just kept going and going.  He ended up breaking his leg right before the conference finals and couldn't got to Game 3 so I took my dad.

Hard to believe its been 20 years. I will still maintain that is the loudest crowd I've ever heard in the TD Garden.  Louder than anything during the '08 title run.  Just an insane comeback.

Still hate Jason Kidd all these years later too.

Also one of my favorite memories, I am not ashamed to admit I was a big walker fan at the time and was collecting his basketball cards.

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2022, 06:56:15 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
I was in a skate punk band in high school, we were one of 4 bands for a show at some VFW in the north shore. We had a big local band headlining, a band called Fake ID (Soon to be known as, “The Drive”, from Attleboro who came up to headline the show. They really captured that Blink182 audience but on a more local level.

After our set, I found myself in the back of the VFW watching the game from halftime on. It was just me and the Bassist from the opening act. The 4th quarter began as the set right before the headliner was wrapping up. Long story short, as the comeback started happening, slowly more and more started to join us in the back watching the game. It ended up that the headliner was ready to go, but the entire audience of about 140 kids or so were in the back going crazy watching this comeback. That was a really special moment for me where two worlds that didn’t really go together collided. I’ll never forget that game
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2022, 08:28:14 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I can’t believe this was 20 years ago.  Where has the time gone.
Greg