Author Topic: Cousy vs. J.J. Redick  (Read 2747 times)

Cousy vs. J.J. Redick
« on: May 20, 2022, 01:14:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
While debating [Chris] Russo about Paul’s and Cousy’s all-time rankings as point guards, Redick said Cousy “was being guarded by plumbers and firemen.”

A 93-year-old Cousy responded.

Quote from: Bob Cousy"
People with less talent will always try to make a name for themselves by criticizing other people and hopefully getting some attention and perhaps increasing their credibility. So, when you respond to something like this, you play into their hands. I won’t do that. But I will defend the firemen and the plumbers that he referenced.

And I’ll just give you a few of their names of these firemen that I played with and against during those years. How about Bill Russell, the aforementioned? Not too bad a player. Wilt Chamberlain, remember that guy? He wasn’t bad. I guess he must have fought fires as well. But in any event, Wilt Chamberlain. Still the best, in my judgment, small forward that ever played the game, a guy named Elgin Baylor. A couple of point guards that weren’t too shabby, my colleague who also had an award created, guy named Oscar Robertson, who was pound for pound the best player perhaps in the game. Jerry West wasn’t too shabby. The guys on our team, Sam and K.C. Jones, a guy named “Hondo” Havlicek wasn’t too bad. Tom Heinsohn, Frank Ramsey, George Mikan, Bob Pettit – I could go on and on.

And we must have had the best firemen and plumbers on the planet at the time. And I was very proud to play with all of them.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Cousy vs. J.J. Redick
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 01:17:46 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
While debating [Chris] Russo about Paul’s and Cousy’s all-time rankings as point guards, Redick said Cousy “was being guarded by plumbers and firemen.”

People with less talent will always try to make a name for themselves by criticizing other people and hopefully getting some attention and perhaps increasing their credibility. So, when you respond to something like this, you play into their hands. I won’t do that. But I will defend the firemen and the plumbers that he referenced.

And I’ll just give you a few of their names of these firemen that I played with and against during those years. How about Bill Russell, the aforementioned? Not too bad a player. Wilt Chamberlain, remember that guy? He wasn’t bad. I guess he must have fought fires as well. But in any event, Wilt Chamberlain. Still the best, in my judgment, small forward that ever played the game, a guy named Elgin Baylor. A couple of point guards that weren’t too shabby, my colleague who also had an award created, guy named Oscar Robertson, who was pound for pound the best player perhaps in the game. Jerry West wasn’t too shabby. The guys on our team, Sam and K.C. Jones, a guy named “Hondo” Havlicek wasn’t too bad. Tom Heinsohn, Frank Ramsey, George Mikan, Bob Pettit – I could go on and on.

And we must have had the best firemen and plumbers on the planet at the time. And I was very proud to play with all of them.

Ridick couldn't hold Cousey's jockstrap. Best ball handler with his hand on top of the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QCP6mMMH2Q

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 01:24:37 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
JJ Redick played with 6 different teams, never really had a stable home with one team. Not really someone who should diss great players lol. You can diss Pat Bev that's fine tho

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 01:32:02 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
People are talking about his comments and he got a great reaction out of the Cooz, so Redick did his job. As for what he said, comparing era's is fun to do but it's also wrong to disparage the past. Cooz was a Hall of Fame talent and one of the best players of his era. Redick maybe makes the Duke Hall of Fame and that's about it.

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 01:46:44 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Just adding this for anyone who wants to hear Cous say it instead of just reading it (it's worth a listen): https://streamable.com/26cb6s
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 01:54:44 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Good for Cousy.

It's also because of players like Cous that today's generation of players don't need offseason jobs to stay afloat.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 590
It's funny hearing a hack like JJ who would've been a nobody back in cousy's era. Without the 3 pt shot, JJ is at home collecting a fireman's pension rather than be has-been player turned analyst.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 02:14:27 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Ridick couldn't hold Cousey's jockstrap. Best ball handler with his hand on top of the ball.

wouldn't that make Redick Cousy's personal "ball boy"?   ;D

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 02:24:00 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

wouldn't that make Redick Cousy's personal "ball boy"?   ;D

TP

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 04:14:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
People are talking about his comments and he got a great reaction out of the Cooz, so Redick did his job. As for what he said, comparing era's is fun to do but it's also wrong to disparage the past. Cooz was a Hall of Fame talent and one of the best players of his era. Redick maybe makes the Duke Hall of Fame and that's about it.

Reddick was wrong about the NBA in Cousy's era and disrespectful but I don't think Reddick was comparing Cousy to himself.  The discussion was comparing Cousy to Chris Paul.  If you want to argue that Chris Paul is better than Bob Cousy, fine, but no need to disparage an entire era of the NBA.  Reddick got a little carried away.

Cousy handled it with class of course.

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 04:30:48 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Reddick was wrong about the NBA in Cousy's era and disrespectful but I don't think Reddick was comparing Cousy to himself.  The discussion was comparing Cousy to Chris Paul.  If you want to argue that Chris Paul is better than Bob Cousy, fine, but no need to disparage an entire era of the NBA.  Reddick got a little carried away.

Cousy handled it with class of course.

Totally. Reminds me of when some people diss Russell and those Celtics teams because "there were only 8 teams back then." I'm always like, "Uhh, someone had to win each season, regardless of the number of teams, and none of the other teams back then ever won. The Baylor-West Lakers never won." Come on, people, have some respect.

Plus, like others have said, there wouldn't be an NBA today if it wasn't for those guys.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 04:43:00 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I know its hard crossing era's but
LeBron vs. Chamberlain

Old rules
New Rules

I think Lebron has a chance with new rules, old rules, not so much.

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 04:59:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I know its hard crossing era's but
LeBron vs. Chamberlain

Old rules
New Rules

I think Lebron has a chance with new rules, old rules, not so much.

Wilt with today's strength & conditioning?  My god.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 05:48:35 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140
Good response by Cousy. Reddick used him as the basis of his argument to remove players of prior eras from “Top” lists in favor of the modern era.

Basing opinions on tangibles like speed, explosiveness, strength, height, length, etc. is losing the plot. They factor into the picture, but they are secondary to the intangibles.

If how good players are is based on combine measurements, then the players with the best combine measurements are the best; it’s a fallacy. Luka wouldn’t be one of the 3 best players in the NBA today. Al would be a non factor, unable to defend a player like Giannis, who has all the tangible advantages over him.

For a boxing analogy, people think Mike Tyson is the greatest heavyweight ever. He has an excellent blend of aggressiveness, explosiveness, speed, and power combined with a great physique and intimidating attitude; when Tyson, himself, proclaims the greatness of Ali and Foreman (even the old version) in a hypothetical head to head. People brush it off as if he’s just being humble/modest, but there’s more to it than that. When people understand that is when they’ll get the plot.

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 06:00:38 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
How would CP3 fare in an era without modern training,  video, equipment,  medicine, PED's? A league where traveling was strictly enforced, and palming and carrying the ball were illegal? Traveling on buses instead of planes.

Those guys who played in the 50s/60's were warriors, and the best of their era, and deserve credit for trailblazing and dominating under incredibly difficult circumstances.