Author Topic: How Are You Doing?  (Read 8264 times)

Re: How Are You Doing?
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2022, 04:08:44 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Surfer- sorry to hear the trouble you and your wife have had but glad for the good things.  I’m dealing with the 60’s too.  To be honest I’ve been loving work at home - so much better than all the driving I used to do.  Unfortunately my health has taken a hit too.  Cancer diagnosis a couple years ago. Had a stem cell transplant in April.  On the plus side the transplant was successful and with ongoing treatment we hope to keep the disease at bay for a while. On the downside I’m on a daily chemo pill and get monthly treatment infusions. Side effects not bad but it takes a toll. 

I am walking 3 miles twice a day. My mood is good almost always. Finally got to see both my daughters at the same time a few weeks ago for the first time in 2 years (one is in New Haven, the other in Sacramento).  My wife is stressed - working like crazy to make sure we are safe and helping me whenever needed — and working full time at a middle school. 

I am at the hospital now getting infusions and will start inoculations for everything today. My immune system was wiped out by the stem cell transplant process so have to be vaccinated for everything - it takes 2 years for the whole process.   I’m getting polio, pertussis, tetanus and pneumonia today. 

Aging  isn’t great but hasn’t been that bad either. More confidence in my work, more time to relax, fewer financial worries (at least till I can’t work anymore…) and generally I’m in good shape despite above.  Covid causes stress for sure especially with the spread of omicron. But I’m hoping to steer clear at least through this wave.
 Thankfully I like being at  home!!!

Roy - thanks for asking!
Hi NG:  Definitely agree with those items.  Work-from-home is so much better. I actually think I've been more productive, just roll out of bed, make tea/coffee and get right to work.  Then no commuting stress at the end of the day.  It feels like what I had hoped to do in semi-retirement.  On your aging point, I agree as well.  Health issues suck but I like being this age in every other way.  We are pretty secure financially and actually thinking of retiring (or semi-retiring) next year.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2022, 06:58:43 PM »

Kiorrik

If anything, the last half decade has shown me that life is fickle, and to enjoy the heck outta what we got.

So I've been attempting to enjoy the heck out of everything I've got.

Melbourne's been full of lockdowns and restrictions thwarting travel, but I've been loving getting out to the beaches when I had time.

Hey, btw, if anyone's on instagram; https://www.instagram.com/aboutadirk/

Feel free to add if you feel like it :)

(It's not self promo - I'm not selling anything :p)

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 03:22:32 PM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
I wish everyone to be even stronger that CelticsStrong!
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 03:43:02 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
On a personal level, I’m doing great.  2021 was an excellent year for my family, particularly financially.  We paid off some major debts, we bought a new car without financing, and we have a decent amount in savings.  My wife got a significant promotion, and I’ve moved into a new job that provides long-term security. 

Our kids are doing great, thriving in school.  Everybody is healthy and happy; with nothing worse affecting us than seasonal allergies.

And yet, while I feel fortunate and blessed, I worry a lot these days.  I’ve seen multiple friends die from Covid this year.  My sister-in-law’s mother died from it, as well.  My two brothers are currently infected, although they seem to be recovering.  One of my closest friends has lost her husband and father, and her mother is dying presently.  Beyond that, our leaders seem to be non-existent and our political system is in shambles.

It’s strange, reaching a personal apex when the world and those around me are profoundly struggling.  We try to pay it forward, but I worry for our world.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes