Poll

Who should Celts sign to the 15th (last) roster spot ?

Harry Giles
8 (27.6%)
Stanley Johnson
1 (3.4%)
Dante Exum
0 (0%)
Marquese Chriss
1 (3.4%)
Leave open for a buyout candidate
12 (41.4%)
Bring Jabari Parker back on min deal
4 (13.8%)
Leave it open so Owners can save on luxury tax
3 (10.3%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author Topic: Who should claim 15th (last) roster spot?  (Read 2770 times)

Re: Who should claim 15th (last) roster spot?
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 02:03:53 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
I guess Wyc and Steve Pagliuca have voted in the poll, otherwise I cannot explain why some Celtics fans care more about the owners' money than they do about the success of their favorite team.

I misread the question as who "will" claim the spot rather than who "should" claim the spot.  I'm guessing Wyc and Pags were the other two voters.

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 02:14:17 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
I'd guess they leave it open. Parker looks like a money move.
After Jabari's release I believe that Dennis Schröder is all that's needed to be moved to get under the tax.
I think if the rest of Jabari's contract was guaranteed it whould have taken Schröder + just a little bit more $.
I could be wrong because I thought that's what the Edwards deal did. Maybe the likely/unlikely incentives come into play.

The C's are $4.65 million above the tax at this point, including likely incentives, but excluding unlikely incentives.  The key for whether they try to get under the tax or not will likely be Jaylen's incentive.  He'll get roughly $2 million for making the All-Star game (which he did last year, so it's included in the current tax calculations).  If Jaylen is healthy and makes the All-Star game, they'll continue to be a rotation-level contract above the tax.  But they'll also probably be a competitive team, and perhaps willing to pay the tax.  If Jaylen isn't healthy/misses the All-Star game, that probably means he didn't fully recover from his injury and/or the team's performance wasn't warranting of two All-Stars.  This would put them at about $2.7 million over the tax, which would be easier to get out from, and they'd also be more inclined to sell players (like a Schroder) to do so.

Hernangomez also has a smaller incentive (~$800k).  It's considered likely, although I can't find anything about how it's earned.  Most likely it's some sort of playing time threshold.  If he doesn't pan out, that's also a potential savings.  Depending how things pan out, it getting out from under the tax could be as simple as sending teams a little cash to take on Fernando and Kanter, and then signing their replacements to rest-of-season deals.
Thanks! Lots of moving pieces.

I think Parker's guarantee would have added $1.35M, putting us $6M over the threshold. Schroder is $5.9M.
Now we could dump Schroder, and take back a small contract to get under the tax, if things go bad.

Hopefully we over achieve and spend the $17M TPE (or one of the smaller ones) to put us over the top.

I still think its a "money move" to increase "flexibility".

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 02:15:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I guess Wyc and Steve Pagliuca have voted in the poll, otherwise I cannot explain why some Celtics fans care more about the owners' money than they do about the success of their favorite team.
Well, to be fair, the players mentioned as choices, Giles, Chriss, Exum, Johnson and Parker, are pretty gosh danged horrible options to choose from. If it come down to choosing one of them or saving some lux tax money, I am good with that. That said, I voted keep it open for a buyout option.

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 02:33:13 PM »

Offline sgrogan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Well, to be fair, the players mentioned as choices, Giles, Chriss, Exum, Johnson and Parker, are pretty gosh danged horrible options to choose from. If it come down to choosing one of them or saving some lux tax money, I am good with that. That said, I voted keep it open for a buyout option.
I think some of us don't care about the owner's money, but have come to the realization there is some unknown budget.
Practically speaking, moves/roster spots are limited by the salary cap/tax threshold/unkown underlying budget.

I could make better recommendations if I knew the true budget. We don't so we have to guess.

Wyc has said they are willing to pay for a "contender". Over the years I've come to believe this means keeping a finalist team together. An over achieving semi-conference loser doesn't qualify.

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 03:14:10 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Again think of this as an emergency spot.  Let's say they sign a PF/C.    And then Smart and Pritchard both get hurt and are out for a month.   They are going to have to waive someone to find a fill in.   

But if the spot is open, they could sign a PG for two 10 day contracts to get through that time. 

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 03:14:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
this sums it up perfectly.  I used to really think Johnson could have been a really good player when he came into the league but he's really disappointed.  I'd leave the slot open for either a buyout or to keep the availability of making a 2 for 1 deal later this season (which might be more of a 2 deal situation where one player goes into a TPE slot and we swap players with another team.)

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2021, 03:45:34 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
With AL age, R Williams health, and Kanter’s lack of defensive versatility I really think it’s important that the 15th spot and the open 2-way goes to a big man.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 04:22:42 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
Just wait to see what happens in the future..really don’t need that many players on a team anyhow
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 04:49:10 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
What about Boogie Cousins? I believe he’s a free agent. I’d give him a shot on the cheap

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2021, 08:57:41 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Parker re-signed. Gosh dang horrible?