Author Topic: Second 2-Way: Celtics Sign Brodrick Thomas  (Read 3847 times)

Re: Second 2-Way: Celtics Sign Brodrick Thomas
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 10:13:34 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Over the last few years Ainge has given the 2-way to players with possibly an elite skill but that needed development elsewhere

Waters...elite on the ball defense on the perimeter
Fall...elite height
Hauser...elite three point shooting and form
Dozier...not elite but great college scorer.

It seems like they look for a guy with a great skill that they want to develop and then round him out as a total player. They just haven't seemed to be looking for those okay to good players that do a bunch of things well but none great that seem to have littered their training camp rosters over the years.

I know nothing about this kid Thomas but maybe someone who does could help me out. Is he a guy with a great skill that needs development elsewhere or more of one of those good at a lot great at nothing type guys?

Wonder how many 2-way guys have ever stuck on an NBA roster. Of them, how many have played any real minutes (say, 10 minutes/game).

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2021, 06:48:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Height is a skill?   

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2021, 07:16:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Height is a skill?   

It’s learned

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2021, 07:32:37 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 979
Over the last few years Ainge has given the 2-way to players with possibly an elite skill but that needed development elsewhere

Fall...elite height

It seems like they look for a guy with a great skill that they want to develop and then round him out as a total player. They just haven't seemed to be looking for those okay to good players that do a bunch of things well but none great that seem to have littered their training camp rosters over the years.

I know nothing about this kid Thomas but maybe someone who does could help me out. Is he a guy with a great skill that needs development elsewhere or more of one of those good at a lot great at nothing type guys?

Wonder how many 2-way guys have ever stuck on an NBA roster. Of them, how many have played any real minutes (say, 10 minutes/game).

Dozier stuck for the Nuggets, not for us.

That said, the biggest name is Duncan Robinson.  Juan Toscanini-Anderson of Golden State also comes to mind pretty quickly.  There are a few others at this point, too, but I’d have to go through rosters to find them.

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2021, 08:34:48 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Fall...elite height

That said, the biggest name is Duncan Robinson.  Juan Toscanini-Anderson of Golden State also comes to mind pretty quickly.  There are a few others at this point, too, but I’d have to go through rosters to find them.

Max Strus has seemingly stuck with Miami, after we initially signed him to a two-way, before signing him to a non-guaranteed deal and waiving him.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2021, 08:42:16 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Fall...elite height

Max Strus has seemingly stuck with Miami, after we initially signed him to a two-way, before signing him to a non-guaranteed deal and waiving him.

Yep.  Tacko beat him out in training camp and took the 2-way.  Oh well.

I do think Jabari Bird would have turned into a player, but that turned into a very sad story.

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2021, 09:59:51 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
You can look at the 2-way contract in two different ways.  One is as redundancy or the back up to the back up.  In that case, you want the player that is the most ready but that may come with less potential ceiling.

The other way to look at it is to use the 2-ways on players that may be that diamond in the rough.  More exploratory or developmental.  These two approaches aren't necessarily mutually exclusive but they can be.

I like taking chances on guys like Tacko and Brodrick.  If you get to the point where you are actually counting on your 2-way players to help the team, things have gotten pretty bad anyway.

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2021, 10:01:37 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Fall...elite height

I do think Jabari Bird would have turned into a player, but that turned into a very sad story.
I thought it was Green who beat out Strus that year.

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2021, 10:05:09 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Fall...elite height

hoopshype did the work for you (April 2021 article)

https://hoopshype.com/lists/nba-rankings-rumors-best-most-successful-two-way-players-dort-robinson-caruso/

Duncan Robinson, Lu Dort, Chris Boucher, Monte Morris, and Alex Caruso were the top 5.  The second 5 were Torrey Craig, Shake Milton, Naz Reid, Ryan Arcidiacono, and PJ Dozier.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2021, 10:17:32 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald

Fall...elite height

I thought it was Green who beat out Strus that year.

I suppose you can look at it that way, but Strus and Waters had the 2-ways heading into camp, but by the end of it they decided to give it to Fall, and gave Strus some money when they cut him, since 2-ways have no guaranteed money attached.  Green also won a job at camp that I suppose Strus technically could have won for himself, but if he couldn’t even keep the 2-way he was on, I don’t think a spot on the 15-man roster was ever really in the cards.