Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 78058 times)

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2021, 06:08:33 AM »

Kiorrik

Mark Murphy: Ime Udoka has decided against captains: “That’s probably in the rear view at this point.” Said the combo of Tatum/Brown/Horford/Smart all lead in their own ways. – via Twitter

No Captain and no idea - zero leadership on this team.

Captaincy of the Boston Celtics should be an honor that players aspire to. Disappointing to see Brad Stevens' namby pamby approach being continued.

Of all those players Horford is the only one really deserving but if he doesn't care enough to put his hand up and say he wants to be captain then he isn't really captaincy material.

I'm not saying simply picking a player and putting a (C) next to their name will solve the glaring leadership issues on this team - you have to actually have a player worthy of captaincy. Sadly, this team doesn't.

Man this is the NBA it's not high school. I cannot for the life of me understand Celtics fan's obsession with this captain role. This label is powerless. Marcus Smart isn't going to suddenly have a transformation because Captain Jayson Tatum talked with him.

Ime started the whole "Captain" thing by saying he was going to announce captains and Smart came out and said he didn't care and then it didn't happen. Now it doesn't matter to Ime. It should've never been brought up in the first place.

First time head coach. Probs just finding his way.

He's still a bit weird in interviews.

Mike Gorman mentioned this too; Ime's different as soon as the camera turns off. But he's kinda getting there. Slowly.

« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2021, 12:06:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I have a feeling Smart was going to be the/a captain and then his behavior so far this season has taken that option off the table so Ime has just shelved the idea.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2021, 12:21:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I have a feeling Smart was going to be the/a captain and then his behavior so far this season has taken that option off the table so Ime has just shelved the idea.
Or Smart wasn't going to be the captain and Udoka saw how not naming Smart the captain could cause Smart to become a problem, so decided against naming any captain.

« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2021, 12:27:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I had been operating under the impression Smart was all ready the captain.  not that matters to me .   

« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2021, 05:51:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Or Smart wasn't going to be the captain and Udoka saw how not naming Smart the captain could cause Smart to become a problem, so decided against naming any captain.
Is there any reason for thinking that?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2021, 05:57:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Smart's calling out of the team's stars and his general attitude as seeing himself as more than what he is, whether that as a player or a locker room leader. Smart has tenure and he might not react well to having to call someone like one of the Jays his team captain, especially when he clearly thinks he should be in that role.

« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2021, 06:05:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
Smart's calling out of the team's stars and his general attitude as seeing himself as more than what he is, whether that as a player or a locker room leader. Smart has tenure and he might not react well to having to call someone like one of the Jays his team captain, especially when he clearly thinks he should be in that role.
I'll grant you that Smart might have a greater sense of his own important but I don't understand where you get the impression that he thinks he's entitled to the captain role. I also don't understand why you think he'd be uncomfortable calling Al, Jaylen, or Jayson captains when the J's are much better players (and Smart knows that) and Al is Al.

« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2021, 07:04:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I'll grant you that Smart might have a greater sense of his own important but I don't understand where you get the impression that he thinks he's entitled to the captain role. I also don't understand why you think he'd be uncomfortable calling Al, Jaylen, or Jayson captains when the J's are much better players (and Smart knows that) and Al is Al.
I actually can't understand how you can't see the entitlement or the issue with calling younger players captain. To me, that's perplexing.

6+ years of listening to him in post game pressers and his vocal antics and actions on the court, to me, demonstrate a guy that thinks he is a leader(but isn't, at least not a good one) and wants that position. And he clearly has issues with others calling out his bad play privately when he went postal after being called out by coaches and wanted to fight Jaylen for telling him to calm down and stop with his tantrum, but no issue doing it to the guys he might have had to call captain.

« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2021, 02:25:32 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
I actually can't understand how you can't see the entitlement or the issue with calling younger players captain. To me, that's perplexing.

6+ years of listening to him in post game pressers and his vocal antics and actions on the court, to me, demonstrate a guy that thinks he is a leader(but isn't, at least not a good one) and wants that position. And he clearly has issues with others calling out his bad play privately when he went postal after being called out by coaches and wanted to fight Jaylen for telling him to calm down and stop with his tantrum, but no issue doing it to the guys he might have had to call captain.
Yeah, Smart is obviously a very emotional, volatile guy. I don't understand where the entitlement take comes from? He's crazy but he's never been selfish.

As for him going postal because coaches called him out... I don't remember that happening?

« Reply #129 on: November 14, 2021, 06:23:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
Least we get 2 of them back. Thank god...

Jay King: Celtics say Al Horford and Josh Richardson are probable for tomorrow’s game against Cleveland. Jaylen Brown is out.  – via Twitter ByJayKing
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #130 on: November 14, 2021, 09:15:10 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Least we get 2 of them back. Thank god...

Jay King: Celtics say Al Horford and Josh Richardson are probable for tomorrow’s game against Cleveland. Jaylen Brown is out.  – via Twitter ByJayKing
Getting Horford back would be huge for us. Expecting a comfortable win against this depleted Cavaliers team, there's no reason that we shouldn't be pounding a team that's relying on Mobley isos as a release valve to the Rubio/Garland PnR with only Osman as a viable floor spacer among their playable role players (Windler doesn't count).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #131 on: November 15, 2021, 03:02:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416
 ::)

Mark Murphy: Enes Kanter intimated in a tweet that his lack of playing time is connected to his ongoing China protest. Not so, says Ime Udoka: “My thing is strictly basketball. We’re switching a lot and doing some things that probably are not as natural for him.”  – via Twitter Murf56
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #132 on: November 15, 2021, 03:31:13 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Mark Murphy: Enes Kanter intimated in a tweet that his lack of playing time is connected to his ongoing China protest. Not so, says Ime Udoka: “My thing is strictly basketball. We’re switching a lot and doing some things that probably are not as natural for him.”  – via Twitter Murf56
Switching everything on defence is so obviously natural for Jabari Parker though...
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #133 on: November 15, 2021, 03:40:01 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Switching everything on defence is so obviously natural for Jabari Parker though...

lol…..I already posted this. Easy to see that he is on a China ban. The NBA has spoken. Udoka can prove this theory wrong by playing him today even if it is only for 1 second.

« Reply #134 on: November 15, 2021, 03:54:08 PM »

Offline #1P4P

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 140

I agree with Udoka; he’d be terrible in this defense, teams immediately take advantage of him. Eventually, we should implement an alternate defense for specific opponents, but as long as the team is playing this defense, Kanter is a terrible fit..

Udoka needs to improve his communication. When players are unclear about why they’re not playing, it leaves the door open for stewing (not to say it’s his fault, it’s on Kanter, but IU could’ve had this under control before this happened). Ime has to get this locker room under control, get this team to gel, or have them shipped out, this is unacceptable.