Author Topic: Celtics to pick 15 Greatest Players  (Read 8257 times)

Re: Celtics to pick 15 Greatest Players
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2022, 12:36:59 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Marc J. Spears
@MarcJSpears
Celtics legends selected by fans, media & historians for All-Celtics Team: Ray Allen, Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, Dave Cowens, Kevin Garnett, John Havlicek, Tommy Heinsohn, Dennis Johnson, Sam Jones, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Paul Pierce, Bill Russell, Bill Sharman & Jo Jo White.

Ray is the controversial one.

Yeh.  I straddle that same fence because of duration of time spent here.  I struggle with the KG for the same reason, he just left under different circumstances.  It's too bad that group didn't win that 2nd series with the Lakers (for obvious reasons of how painful it was, but also for the legacy factor).
Yup

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2022, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Marc J. Spears
@MarcJSpears
Celtics legends selected by fans, media & historians for All-Celtics Team: Ray Allen, Larry Bird, Bob Cousy, Dave Cowens, Kevin Garnett, John Havlicek, Tommy Heinsohn, Dennis Johnson, Sam Jones, Kevin McHale, Robert Parish, Paul Pierce, Bill Russell, Bill Sharman & Jo Jo White.

I'd drop Ray and DJ. I'd look at adding Reggie, Max over Ray and DJ

KG is a tough call only due to the short time here.  would give Silas some serious consideration.

also interesting that some really good players aren't even in consideration -- KC Jones, Satch Sanders, Antoine, Rondo.  Even IT4 for that matter -- here about as long as Ray and had a season that far surpassed any season Ray had here.   If they do this again in 10 years I have no doubt the J's will bump Ray and DJ off the list. 

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2022, 01:01:07 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Maxwell won us the 81 and 84 Titles---you can watch the games on youtube---Game 7 in 1984--Bird had a bad game and Maxwell came through.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2022, 01:37:36 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Maxwell won us the 81 and 84 Titles---you can watch the games on youtube---Game 7 in 1984--Bird had a bad game and Maxwell came through.

You're probably not the most objective voice in the room  ;)

I do like Max and think that he definitely deserves points for his dedication to the Cs doing radio. Stats are lacking, but you aren't wrong about his playoffs contributions.

Ray has to go for sure. He was solid, but not extraordinary, and the way he went out was less than ideal. I'd honestly probably go Tatum just to give a little bit of a modern flare, but I remember voting for Antoine when I did the vote - and not in an ironic way.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2022, 11:07:21 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
Marc J. Spears
@MarcJSpears

KG is a tough call only due to the short time here.  would give Silas some serious consideration.

also interesting that some really good players aren't even in consideration -- KC Jones, Satch Sanders, Antoine, Rondo.  Even IT4 for that matter -- here about as long as Ray and had a season that far surpassed any season Ray had here.   If they do this again in 10 years I have no doubt the J's will bump Ray and DJ off the list.
This is an interesting thought. IT was only in Boston for 2 1/2 seasons so half the time of Ray (5 full seasons) but was his impact bigger in those two seasons? It's a conversation worth having, I think.

It really does feel like there were 13 consensus picks and those last two spots that were going to be contentious.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2022, 11:10:56 AM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1799
Marc J. Spears
@MarcJSpears

Yes indeed!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2022, 08:33:30 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
14 out of 15 - I had Max instead of Ray. A little surprised the media picked Ray