Author Topic: Thoughts going into the regular season?  (Read 8458 times)

Re: Thoughts going into the regular season?
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2021, 10:14:39 PM »

Online chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
I think we will be better. I expect the Jays to both improve. Al and Ime are going to command respect and will make certain that the team plays hard. They will play faster on offense and more tenacious on defense. They will be held accountable. Players like Nesmith and Pritchard will be improved. The bench is deeper and better. Schroeder has something to prove and is very talented. Richardson will play his role and play it well. I think/hope that the team gels, that they genuinely like each other and they have fun together. I am not saying we are one of the elite teams but I think we will be a hard out for anyone.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2021, 11:15:40 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I'm concerned about turnovers, inside defense, rebounding, inconsistant shooting, too many players with similar talent levels (that could be good?), injuries, Covid, first year coach struggles, defending red-hot 3 point shooters. Otherwise, they should be fine.

If they win 50% of their games I'll be happy.

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2021, 11:30:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm concerned about turnovers, inside defense, rebounding, inconsistant shooting, too many players with similar talent levels (that could be good?), injuries, Covid, first year coach struggles, defending red-hot 3 point shooters. Otherwise, they should be fine.

If they win 50% of their games I'll be happy.
I'm considered pretty pessimistic on here but I don't see these as worries. The turnovers should not be as bad if a system and chemistry is developed. BS had limited practice and starters together to get this done last year. Should be different this year. The strength this year should be better switch defense. I'm expecting a 50 win team.

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2021, 09:05:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think we are a work in progress, guys still look like they are figuring it out.   But there seems to be some real effort in areas of the game where we did not have it last year, namely on D.

I am still mystified that we are not using Robert's vertical threat better and that is concerning.

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2021, 09:26:50 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am expecting a slow start considering that both Brown and Horford have to deal with Covid and there are alot of new faces.   

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2021, 09:31:27 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
How am I feeling about it? 

#1 - I hope we overachieve and make this an entertaining year. 

#2 - I hope the players focus on basketball and not all that other crap.

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2021, 09:46:00 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Guess I’m mostly hoping for a team I enjoy watching. Last few years haven’t been fun to watch, for me anyway.
After that, I’d love to see the young guys improvement. Especially Nesmith and Pritchard.
I’m also curious to see what players step up and make it into the rotation. I’m thinking at some point a trade it made, as there’s too many guys competing for minutes.

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2021, 10:58:22 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I believe that last season certain players on the Celtics sabotaged Brad Stevens by refusing to cooperate with him one-hundred percent.

All season long many on this very site questioned if Brad had indeed lost this team. The continual one on one play... the sudden lack of defensive intensity all year long was a telling sign. I feel some tuned him out purposefully and just enough to place him on the hot seat. I believe Danny saw the writing on the wall, hence his retirement and the move to push Stevens upstairs and out of sight. Welcome to todays NBA.

This year the children got their way and a new era of sudden cooperation will begin. Udoka will be viewed as the second coming and the Celtics will over-achieve. Unfortunately, the team is good, but not good enough to get past the Bucks, the Nets or maybe even Miami.

IMO the linchpin will be Al Horford. His health and time on the court. I'm hoping he has enough in the tank at 35. I'm still afraid when this team gets pushed to the wall, the one on one play will rear it head once again...new coach or not.   

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2021, 11:08:55 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I have tickets to see them play vs Wiz in D.C. on October 30. Just hoping everyone has cleared COVID by then, jeez.

I really like Ime so far. He is straight shooter and seems very disciplined.  I think he will be able to get the most out of all the guys, and hold them accountable.

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2021, 11:26:44 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Going to withhold my opinion until I have seen the starting lineup play more than a whole zero minutes together.

who do you think that starting lineup consists of?

The starters from the first preseason game may end up being the opening night starters:

Smart
Brown
Tatum
Hernangomez
R. Williams

Horford would probably start in place of Williams if not for COVID.

Ime seems to lean two bigs:

Ime Udoka: “I don’t think it’s as much of a problem as people seem to think it is to play two bigs.”

It isn't a problem to play two bigs, most teams still do that, our problem is the level of talent of our bigs.  Hernangomez has looked better than I expected (my expectations were fairly low) but he is still not a legit starting level (30'ish minutes) power forward.  He may still start though, just then only play say 18 minutes.

One interesting thing from the preseason is that Parker has played mostly as a wing, not as a big or swing.  In general, there have been two other actual bigs on the court when Parker is on the court.  I wonder if this is foretelling or just a preseason oddity.  I guess the issue with Parker is that he really can't defend a decent or better PF.  I keep hoping that Parker is going to emerge to be a Thad Young type swing/PF type player.  The wait continues.  If Parker can't give us minutes at PF, I am not sure what role he has on the team.

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2021, 11:46:39 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
   Really think Schroeder will usurp Smart in starting role and Marcus will have a problem ( publicly)  with it.

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2021, 12:05:41 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
   Really think Schroeder will usurp Smart in starting role and Marcus will have a problem ( publicly)  with it.

I don't disagree on Schroeder.  His style of play may be better suited to play with the starters.  But I don't think this usurpation will happen by opening night.  And I also don't think Smart will have any issue with it.  He will deal with it.   Who knows, maybe Smart will be our starting PF.

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2021, 01:05:37 PM »

Offline Hoopvortex

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 164

I don't disagree on Schroeder.  His style of play may be better suited to play with the starters.  But I don't think this usurpation will happen by opening night.  And I also don't think Smart will have any issue with it.  He will deal with it.   Who knows, maybe Smart will be our starting PF.

More likely Smart starts and takes the opponent’s best wing scorer and is a secondary ballhandler.

Schröder/Smart/Brown/Tatum/Horford
'I was proud of Marcus Smart. He did a great job of keeping us together. He might not get credit for this game, but the pace that he played at, and his playcalling, some of the plays that he called were great. We obviously have to rely on him, so I’m definitely looking forward to Marcus leading this team in that role.' - Jaylen Brown, January 2021

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2021, 01:25:52 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
In short:  I think we're deeper than last year, but I don't think our pieces fit together particularly well.  A recommitment to teamwork on both ends would make us a much more competitive group despite the fit.

We need to do more to make the Jays' lives easier.  Everything felt difficult for them last year.  They achieved a lot individually in spite of that, but there's a reason it didn't lead to a lot of wins.  Again... teamwork. 

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2021, 02:04:57 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1416

Smart needs to be the 2 guard. Schroder needs to start at point. He’s clearly the better passer and the ball Zips around when he is in the game.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.